Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golota-Bowe II. Saddening.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was stunned that fight lasted as long as it did. Golota was killin Bowe, but always punched himself out short of finishin. And Bowe had just enuf to keep himself in it, but not really enuf to win. It was nuts watchin Bowe take that beatin and not be KO'd. His corner definitely shoulda called it.

Comment

Alot of people were wondering how much heart bowe had and when you look at it now boy did he show it over his career. Except the lennox part

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Last night I rewatched the whole fight and not just the nutshots in the end.

It made me sad. When one listen to the punchy slurs coming out of Bowe's mouth I think that of all the wars Bowe was in, this was the one that did the damage.

Bowe was badly hurt in the second round and he seemed in a daze for the rest of the fight. He took and enormous amount of punches. One round he took nearly 70 according to punchstat.

The fight itself was a brutal, highly entertaining slugfest with the most peculiar ending that I've ever seen.

I wonder why Bowe's corner didn't pull him. They talked about it between the 8 and 9 I think, but that was already to late for my liking anyway. Or maybe I'm just going soft.

The fight with US commentary is here:

i have said many times that this fight was one of the most brutal fights in ring history, Golota had a cut just above his chin that his teeth could be seen through.. this fight finished both Bowe & Golota off as far as elite fighters go.. it a fight i have watched many times and IMO up there with the great heavyweight fights of all times

Comment

Bowe was an unbelieveably courageous and tough guy, i dont care if he ducked lennox, he took a shocking, shocking beating and never stopped trying.

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
            Alot of people were wondering how much heart bowe had and when you look at it now boy did he show it over his career. Except the lennox part
            True. Bowe had a lot of heart. Now he only has a little brain. Sometimes we as fans got to remember the price these pugilists pays for us to be entertained.

Comment

True. Bowe had a lot of heart. Now he only has a little brain. Sometimes we as fans got to remember the price these pugilists pays for us to be entertained.
              Very very true

Comment

Surely it was one of the gamest performances from any fighter. And he kept being competitive all the way. It's just that he looks not only spent, but also concussed for most of the fight. I'm pretty sure that if the corner in any intermission from the second round on, would have asked him what town he was in or what day it was, they wouldn't have gotten any answer.

I don't know, but maybe Bowe would have been alright today if the corner had stopped the fight sooner. I'm not trying to blame someone as slugfests as this happens every year I'm just asking myself the question. Watching the fight just made me sad despite all the great action and controversy it produced.
                Bowe is somebody I have a hard time feeling sad for. A dirty fighter in the ring, and a bullying piece of s h i t outside of the ring. That being said at his peak he really was something.

Comment

I just rewatched this fight and can't believe how brutal it was. Bowe showed so much heart, much to his detriment, in staying in the fight when it looked like he was out on his feet. What's especially brutal about the fight is that he took so much punishment not only to his head and body but those huge punches to the groin...

Fast forward 12 years later, and Golota is still boxing and landing decent fights while Riddick Bowe is broke and selling boxing memorabilia at flee markets to make ends meet....

Comment

Working...
                  X