Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has never fought at 160lbs, he's said that he's not physically ready to fight at 160lbs, and his camp and promoter have backed his statement.

Alvarez has offered to fight Golovkin at 155, and Golovkin's camp has balked at even taking the fight at 159lbs.

As long as he's making 155 fine, why bother with going up any weight, especially to fight a guy who does worse business? Hand Golovkin his third belt, let him likely spend the rest of his career fighting or regular HBO, and move on to other fights.
    You can't hold a title in a division, force others to fight at whatever weight you stipulate. It's not his fault he still has the title though. He's only getting away with what the WBC and GGG allow him to. It's on them.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... GGG made a step aside agreement as regarding the Cotto-Canelo fight...
      Is it public another step aside agreement as for the Khan fight? I didn't notice...

... and did he agreed on a step aside agreement that Canelo will fight him "some day"?..
      They sure did

That's the reason all this "ducking" talk makes no sense. Neither Cotto nor Canelo ducked him. Well, Canelo hasn't yet. We'll see after the Khan fight. You can't be ducked if you're agreeing to step aside.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
        But the main issue is that Canelo is the lineal middleweight champion of the world. It's common knowledge now that GGG was convinced to back off and let Canelo vs. Cotto happen.

The other huge issue is that Canelo seriously seriously struggles to make 154 and rehydrates more than GGG does, coming in at around 175 fight night.

If Canelo can't make 154, and his career perspective is to fight guys coming from 135, 140 and 147 then that is completely ****ed up. When JCC Jr. had the belt at 160, imagine if he was getting the likes of Shane Mosley and Cotto to come up from 154 and fight him at a 161lb catch-weight.

It's very damaging to his integrity and character if this what his career is going to look like. I think he'd be able to keep his respect and growing fanbase even if he were to step up, fight GGG at 160, and get KO'd.
        Then he could return to 154/155 or whatever and have a star studded array of fights lined up for his resume. Say Spence, Porter, Brook, Crawford, and others want to challenge Canelo, the light middleweight kingpin, that'd be appropriate. THEN he could move up again and rematch Golovkin, an older Golovkin, and have a second shot.
        Canelo is all of 25 years old and has fought at 155 since losing his 154 titles to Floyd, making the weight on 4 (soon to be 5) fights without hassle. Why would a guy who "struggles to make 154" continue to torture his body? lol

Alvarez has been fighting 153-155 for almost 5 years now; he won't be able to keep making that cut forever, but he makes it fine now.

By the time he sees his 27th birthday, Alvarez will be fully ensconced as a 160lb fighter. if you can't wait that long, tough luck.

Comment

Floyd said he'd fight Pacquaio. Went into negotiations in 2010. Pacquiao agreed to the terms. They beefed up the drug testing stipulation. Pacquiao's team protested and Mayweather walked.
          I would not be surprised at all to see Oscar and Canelo walk in a cloud of smoke after negotiations falling through. And of course there going to say it's all GGG's teams fault.
          Then they go back to the original plan. If Canelo has to fight Golovkin, let the fight marinate.
          So you think ggg will turn down 40 million because he's scared of needles?

Just wondering because I do to.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
            You can't hold a title in a division, force others to fight at whatever weight you stipulate. It's not his fault he still has the title though. He's only getting away with what the WBC and GGG allow him to. It's on them.
            It is on them; and, when the WBC tries to pull their power move and it flops, Alvarez will move on with his career, continue to make the fights that he wants to make, and he'll do so without having to pay any sanctioning body a blunt nickel (while the WBC satiates itself off of the 3% they'd get on a Golovkin fight at 160).

In a year or so, when I don't think Alvarez would be able to comfortably get his body down to 155/154, Alvarez will be looking for a middleweight organization to work with and he'll likely pass on doing business with the WBC again; the WBO and it's shiftiness will be just giddy.

Comment

I'm a fan of Canelo, and i think the answer is fairly obvious - GGG is bigger, stronger and better. He will lose and probably be beaten up quite badly by the end of the night.

Comment

But the main issue is that Canelo is the lineal middleweight champion of the world. It's common knowledge now that GGG was convinced to back off and let Canelo vs. Cotto happen.

The other huge issue is that Canelo seriously seriously struggles to make 154 and rehydrates more than GGG does, coming in at around 175 fight night.

If Canelo can't make 154, and his career perspective is to fight guys coming from 135, 140 and 147 then that is completely ****ed up. When JCC Jr. had the belt at 160, imagine if he was getting the likes of Shane Mosley and Cotto to come up from 154 and fight him at a 161lb catch-weight.

It's very damaging to his integrity and character if this what his career is going to look like. I think he'd be able to keep his respect and growing fanbase even if he were to step up, fight GGG at 160, and get KO'd.
                Then he could return to 154/155 or whatever and have a star studded array of fights lined up for his resume. Say Spence, Porter, Brook, Crawford, and others want to challenge Canelo, the light middleweight kingpin, that'd be appropriate. THEN he could move up again and rematch Golovkin, an older Golovkin, and have a second shot.
                Preach, bro, preach.

The only thing I see is Canelo winning in a brutal fight.
                He's not confident enough, though, or GBP is not.

Fight him at 160 Canelo.

Comment

He chose to fight a scrawny newly minted welterweight instead ot unify the MW titles with Golovkin

He's asking Golovkin to drop to a "155 catchweight" even though he weighs more than Golovkin

Dude's just scared and protecting his money, not much else to say

I used to ike Canelo but definitely not a current fan. The 155 stuff was just too much, and fighting Khan turned him into a circus clown.

Comment

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Comment

Originally posted by #feelthebern View Post
                      He chose to fight a scrawny newly minted welterweight instead ot unify the MW titles with Golovkin

He's asking Golovkin to drop to a "155 catchweight" even though he weighs more than Golovkin

Dude's just scared and protecting his money, not much else to say

I used to ike Canelo but definitely not a current fan. The 155 stuff was just too much, and fighting Khan turned him into a circus clown.
                      You said it, brother. He is now Clownelo with his new circus weight and mockery of the MW belt.

Comment

Working...
                      X