X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather wins

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Floyd has by far the greater resume, and more impressive achievements, longevity, skills and list of opponents.

agreed. floyd mayweather is a greater fighter than rocky marciano by any real, objective standard.

only thing rocky really did better was punch and take punishment. floyd basically ticks every other box. he had a better career and was a much better fighter.

Comment

Mayweather unquestionably greater P4P. Resume, skills, the lot.

Marciano being an undefeated HW champion is extremely impressive though. In a division where everything can change in an instant, with his style and stature as well.

Being the best HW in the world is the crowning achievement in the sport. In his time, no boxer on the planet could beat him.

Comment

I don't really like comparing them because of the difference in weight class. Marciano did what he had to do as a heavyweight so I can't disrespect what he did. But that just doesn't compare to a multi division champion like Mayweather.

Comment

Marciano did not duck anyone his era was not like the hw's 70s thru 90's...... i personally think floyd cherry picked once in a while but fought very good competition

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              floyd mayweather is a greater fighter than rocky marciano by any real, objective standard.
              Except by the most literal standard, which of course is that if they'd fought, Marciano would have easily knocked Floyd out. So calling Mayweather the "greater fighter" is pretty silly. You need to add P4P to that statement for it to make any sense.

Comment

I don’t see how anyone could seriously debate Marciano or his resume being better. Mayweather beat like 25 world champion top level fighters across 5 divisions and 20 years and is on a totally different level as far as skill is concerned. Not to say Rocky was a bum or anything like that but I wouldn’t compare his career accomplishments to Floyds just because they have similar records. He might be more well liked because a lot of people dislike Floyd but let’s be real if they were the same size and you had to bet your life on the winner every single one of you would back Mayweather.
                Last edited by JK1700; 10-24-2017, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Rocky never waited for any opponents to get old. Mayweather did just that with Pacquiao. Rock was a green twig when Charles and Louis were in their primes, so no fault can be laid at his feet. A lot can be laid at Mayweather's. Thug lovers will never see that, though.

Despite consummate defensive skills, Mayweather has the most carefully manufactured resume of any world level fighter. I like guys who come to fight, not wussies who put on more of a fight with words before the fight than with their brittle little mitts once the bell rings.

The tune of punks like Mayweather changes once the bell rings and all the tickets are sold. They do not go out and thrash as promised. They go out instead for a carefully executed exhibition match.

I never had much use for Mayweather's brand of entertainment, nor any respect at all for the type of mentality that hailed and idolized him. To me the guy was simply the Meadowlark Lemon of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Rocky never waited for any opponents to get old. Mayweather did just that with Pacquiao.
                    Not true.

Mayweather agreed to fight him back in 2009. Even acquiesced to a 50/50 purse split.

But it was Pacquiao who ran away from the fight because of Floyd's insistence on doing random drug testing via USADA.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      Not true.

Mayweather agreed to fight him back in 2009. Even acquiesced to a 50/50 purse split.

But it was Pacquiao who ran away from the fight because of Floyd's insistence on doing random drug testing via USADA.
                      Respectfully I disagree. Not that I would want the history section to turn into the 2010 NSB with this discussion. Mayweather had no interest in fighting the Pacman that destroyed Hatton and De La Hoya. It wasn't until Manny suffered a knockout to Marquez that he wanted the fight. Much the same way he accepted the Cotto fight, after he was stopped by Manny.

Now I do agree Mayweather had better skills than Marciano, especially on the defensive end and arguably is the best boxer of this era.
                      There were many that thought Marciano could have lost to LaStarza in the first fight, the same way that most say Mayweather got a gift over Castillo. On the debate of resumes, Charles, Louis, Walcott and ol Archie stack up way higher than the 20 Mayweather beat but that may come down a debate of quality vs. quantity. I think it cannot not be debated reasonably by how much of a Mayweather fan you are or just because you are a Marciano fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X