Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Peculiar Offer By Dempsey: Winner Take All vs. Wills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea is the reason for Dempsey not fighting Wills is a complex puzzle. Presenting several pieces of the puzzle as an explanation of the entire puzzle may not be the wisest choice. That is if one is in actuality looking for the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
      The idea is the reason for Dempsey not fighting Wills is a complex puzzle. Presenting several pieces of the puzzle as an explanation of the entire puzzle may not be the wisest choice. That is if one is in actuality looking for the truth.
      That may be the case. This thread wasn't really meant to be a comprehensive look at the issue, but mostly a discussion about the Winner Take All offer. But it seems most want to discuss the big issue.

But I honestly don't think the big issue is so complex at all, honestly. Dempsey signed a contract to fight Wills, and then he broke the contract. He claims the money wasn't there, but it in fact was. I'll post proof of that in a minute.

For a man who claims that he wanted to fight Wills and only Wills since 1919, breaking that contract seems odd.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        Dempsey and Wills both game but as I mentioned, the politics and money not there.
        This is not true. There was a promoter willing, unlike Dempsey said. There was a signed and valid contract, unlike Dempsey said. And the contract stipulated that on August 5th, 1926, the initial $300,000 payment was to be paid to Dempsey. That's what Dempsey signed.

Well, here's proof that the contract was followed. The money was there.

Comment

They signed to fight at least twice. Again the reason this fight did not come off is complex as it has primarily to do with the American culture of that time which is foreign to all living today. Everything needs to be considered not just snippets in an effort to point the finger simplistically at Dempsey. The article I posted pretty much covers the bases. No snippets but instead an excellent broad overview of the problems staging a mixed race hwt championship bout in the 1920's.

Comment

They signed to fight at least twice. Again the reason this fight did not come off is complex as it has primarily to do with the American culture of that time which is foreign to all living today. Everything needs to be considered not just snippets in an effort to point the finger simplistically at Dempsey. The article I posted pretty much covers the bases. No snippets but instead an excellent broad overview of the problems staging a mixed race hwt championship bout in the 1920's.
            Yes, but you aren't addressing the elephant in the room.

A contract for the fight to take place was broken, and the money, in accordance with the contract, being present.

Would you like to address that?

If a fighter signs a contract, the money is proven to be present, and then the fighter breaks the contract while claiming the opponent is the only one he has wanted to face since 7 years before, how can that not be considered a duck? Especially when fight fans were asking for it, as seen by Dempsey being embarrassed when he was in the crowd in NYC and Wills appearing, making the crowd go crazy cheering for him, to Dempsey's chagrin.
            Last edited by travestyny; 05-31-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

My thoughts are that in your every post you do everything to point a finger at Dempsey and completely ignore the culture and times of the period that were a huge factor. Suggest you look broadly and examine the big picture. The manner in which you approach the subject paints the picture of cherry picking to support a pre formed opinion.

Comment

The article I posted tells the tale as it's been known the past 90 plus years.

Comment

My thoughts are that in your every post you do everything to point a finger at Dempsey and completely ignore the culture and times of the period that were a huge factor. Suggest you look broadly and examine the big picture. The manner in which you approach the subject paints the picture of cherry picking to support a pre formed opinion.
                  I have no doubt you believe that...

but will you address the contract that was broken by Dempsey? What do you think of it?

Comment

Again it's a snippet. Many things could have been going on behind the scenes we will never know about. Consider all factors which all have been known for 90 plus years. The American culture was a powerful reason mixed race hwt championship bouts did not occur for many years past Dempsey. It took Louis in 37 to break through. That's over a decade past the time period in question.

Comment

The article I posted tells the tale as it's been known the past 90 plus years.
                      Literally, this is all that your article says regarding the contract.

Still there seemed no end to the claims, even as the Dempsey-Tunney fight approached. On August 6, 1926, the Evening Independent reported that a Chicago matchmaker, Doc Krone, announced that a $300,000 check was waiting for Dempsey in a Chicago bank.

That's it!

Comment

Working...
                      X