Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Holyfield on PEDs when he beat Qawi?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't someone want to enhance their performance, whether by aerobic exercise, weights or chemically?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't someone want to enhance their performance, whether by aerobic exercise, weights or chemically?
      Because steroids are illegal?

Comment

Steroids are the big asterisk in sports today. They are an illegal and unfair advantage. Without steroids MANY of today's top fighters would become much more ordinary. Looking unnaturally over cut and bulked up is a clear sign.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Because steroids are illegal?
          But they didn't used to be. So at one time, everyone were allowed to use them. Athletes have always used what they could to get an advantage and the fight game is no different. Physically there have been advances, with weights and different workout machines, vitamin supplements. Now you sometimes hear about athletes using types of growth hormone or testosterone replacement, since men lose some with age. Performance enhancement makes any sport better IMO. The stuff that should be focused on controlling and keeping out of sports IMO are more cheap shot type stuff, low blows, loaded wraps/gloves. headbutts, rabbit punches and in other sports anything that messes with the ball or any other piece of equipment. They allow these guys to build more muscle and recover from injuries more quickly so I say give them the option. I wouldn't do it or recommend anyone I know to try it, but it should be available. I guess with the growth hormones and synthetic testosterones out there, it technically is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            But they didn't used to be. So at one time, everyone were allowed to use them. Athletes have always used what they could to get an advantage and the fight game is no different. Physically there have been advances, with weights and different workout machines, vitamin supplements. Now you sometimes hear about athletes using types of growth hormone or testosterone replacement, since men lose some with age. Performance enhancement makes any sport better IMO. The stuff that should be focused on controlling and keeping out of sports IMO are more cheap shot type stuff, low blows, loaded wraps/gloves. headbutts, rabbit punches and in other sports anything that messes with the ball or any other piece of equipment. They allow these guys to build more muscle and recover from injuries more quickly so I say give them the option. I wouldn't do it or recommend anyone I know to try it, but it should be available. I guess with the growth hormones and synthetic testosterones out there, it technically is though.
            I think I side with Qawi on this one. It should be about working hard and digging deep to find greatness within yourself:

"Athleticism is not what it used to be where you dig down and have it come from your gut. You know, by working hard and using all of your natural ability, and you don’t use no enhancers and get an edge from nothing artificial. If you turn a blind eye to that, the integrity of the sport is lost."

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Scott/Scott_031307.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              I think I side with Qawi on this one. It should be about working hard and digging deep to find greatness within yourself:

"Athleticism is not what it used to be where you dig down and have it come from your gut. You know, by working hard and using all of your natural ability, and you don’t use no enhancers and get an edge from nothing artificial. If you turn a blind eye to that, the integrity of the sport is lost."

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Scott/Scott_031307.htm
              But athleticism IS what it used to be. Athletes always used any advantage they could. In baseball, there were spitballs, cutting into the ball to get more movement, rosin, sandpaper, corking of bats and with every sport, the drawing of the color line. Sports has been dirty for a long time and its integrity was lost a LONG time ago. Put Pete Rose and all the others in the Hall of Fame that have good enough numbers to get in. Plus even if there's suspicion, shouldn't someone only be penalized if there's proof? I know there was the whole Evan Fields thing, but Holyfield never confessed nor tested positive. And as far as I know, neither did Sosa, McGuire, or Bonds. I do remember Bonds mentioning something about using some kind of topical cream that he thinks might have had an anabolic agent, so he kind of admitted it, but not to knowingly taking something and there was that book Canseco got published where he mentioned doing steroids with McGuire, so their chances are probably not good. But at least Holyfield is in the HOF and an argument can be made for Bonds because he had HOF numbers before he started taking any steroids. I guess athletic commissions have to get better at stopping this stuff and catching these guys. I mean, what's the deal with fighters testing positive AFTER a fight? How about a couple hours before randomly and then after? It's like with counterfeiters though. The crooks always find a way to beat the system, so the ones in charge always have to come up with new ways to catch the cheaters.

Comment

Everyone up top is on something. Act accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
                  Everyone up top is on something. Act accordingly.
                  I don't think that's true. There are fighters like Nonito Donaire who are doing 24/7/365 VADA testing.

Comment

Hate to slander legends, but Holyfield always screamed juicehead to me.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                      Tyson comes to mind. Did he admit to being high on drugs during fights, or just having it in his system? I'm not sure. I know he said he used a whizzer because he was heavy into weed and cocaine.
                      Tyson was clearly on something when he was fighting. Looks like pure coke rage to me. Fury was probably on that yam too when he fought Klistchko with all that twitching.

Comment

Working...
                      X