Yesterday was the 12th Anniversary of this CLASSIC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday was the 12th Anniversary of this CLASSIC

21 June 2003 - Lennox Lewis vs. Vitali Klitschko

I still maintain Lewis was getting his second wind. Vitali's body language, as he slumped to his stool at the end of round 5, said it all. He was spent.

If the fight had continued, Lewis would not only have KOd Vitali Klitschko, he would have blinded him.

For those who haven't seen the fight (video above ^), it's a treat. Enjoy

12 years later, Lewis fans still say a prayer of thanks for that cut. The 2nd wind theory is the only way they can save face. Sill, a good, gritty fight that sadly ended too early. Thx for the trip down memory lane.

Comment

I never tire of watching that Lewis upper-cut !

Comment

Lennox was discussing this fight on Twitter too. Good to get his insights.

Comment

The final fight of the best HW of all time in my book.

Even at his worst (oldest, heaviest, worst shape/conditioning) he was good enough to beat Vitali by stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post

21 June 2003 - Lennox Lewis vs. Vitali Klitschko

I still maintain Lewis was getting his second wind. Vitali's body language, as he slumped to his stool at the end of round 5, said it all. He was spent.

If the fight had continued, Lewis would not only have KOd Vitali Klitschko, he would have blinded him.

For those who haven't seen the fight (video above ^), it's a treat. Enjoy
            Great post mate.

Really good to read that too as I feel exactly the same, Lewis was walking Vitali down, and yes taking shots but he had his second wind and was really winding up on Klit, those uppercuts give me nightmares for days after I re-watch the fight.

Lewis was at his career heaviest too! Such a shame there was no rematch, Lewis would of beat Klit again and not left that * over that TKO victory!

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              12 years later, Lewis fans still say a prayer of thanks for that cut. The 2nd wind theory is the only way they can save face. Sill, a good, gritty fight that sadly ended too early. Thx for the trip down memory lane.
              When I first watched it as a kid, I too believed the fight was stopped too early but looking back at it and how bad that cut was, it was a perfect stoppage. No fighter, no matter how brave, especially with Vitali trying to prove he had balls after the Byrd debacle, deserves to be permanently damaged in a fight. Vitali was severely damaged, no matter if he was winning or not.

Comment

Great fight. Regardless of what might have happened going forward, and anyone who pretends they know for sure are lying their asses off, Lennox earned that stoppage. He ripped half Vitali's face off.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Great fight. Regardless of what might have happened going forward, and anyone who pretends they know for sure are lying their asses off, Lennox earned that stoppage. He ripped half Vitali's face off.
                  Yup. Some people fail to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                    I never tire of watching that Lewis upper-cut !
                    yeah, vitali's chin is unreal

Comment

Working...
                    X