Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had the most powerful uppercut in boxing history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Also is it true that you should NOT shift weight from one foot to the other on uppercuts, or do you still shift weight like any other power punch!?
    There is no right or wrong way to throw the uppercut. Which method is more effective depends on a range of variables.

You can generate more power if you transfer some weight to the front foot whilst throwing the uppercut. This obviously puts you in a better position to follow with a powerful hook too.

However, transferring your weight can leave you open defensively (you are square to your opponent when the shot lands).

I like to use the NOT shifting weight method to counter a jab (orthodox vs orthodox). I pre-emptively slip down and towards my right as the jab comes and as I start slipping right I throw the uppercut at the same time. When the uppercut lands my head is over to my right in the slip position (this makes it difficult for the opponent to land his right hand after the jab).

The NOT shifting weight method can be used to throw single uppercuts on the inside. I like to get my left shoulder to the opponents left shoulder keeping my head off centre (to my right) and throw a sneaky uppercut up the middle whilst keeping my head to my right (makes it difficult to be countered because a) they can't hit you easily with a right hand because you head will be to the right - they have to reach, b) they can't counter you with a powerful hook because your head will be outside their hand / offset from their centre line).

You can also use the NOT shifting weight method if you intend to follow the rear hand uppercut with another rear handed punch (obviously, if you transfer your weight you are unable to do this effectively.

Comment

Stuck between Tyson and lennox. Both used their uppercut in their own way. Foreman is also a considerable mention.

Comment

Probably Tyson. Michael Spinks deserves a mention in this thread. He made one of the best and most brutal one punch KO's with an uppercut. I'm not sure, but I think it was against Marvin Johnson.

Comment

Working...
        X