Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo Alvarez Still Overrated if He Defeats Austin Trout or Sergio Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Canelo is very good and I don't think he is looking for easy fights. A while back he told Golden Boy he wanted Martinez, Cotto or Mayweather in May. Before that he tried to fight Kirkland, Williams and Ortiz but stuff happened and those fights fell through. I would love to see him fight someone really good but till then I have to judge him on what I have seen against weak opposition. I will be betting a few hundred bucks on him no matter who he fights at 154. With the exception of the Lopez fight I have always bet on Canelo since I first saw him fight against Cotto's older brother. I believe he is the best 154 pounder in the world so I guess I am one of the people who have him "overrated". Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
      Tell me who were the top 154 lbs fighters available at time?
      Lopez beat Ortiz in June. Are you trying to argue that between June and September, someone with Canelo's drawing power would struggle to book a fight with a top 10 154 pounder? He could've at least fought a light middlweight who would offer a stern test like Dzindzirik or Carlos Molina....Although given what we know about Canelo he'd be more likely to fight Carlos Molina the lightweight...

Comment

i dont think canelo is overrated at all,and i dont think martinez would be a good fight for him right now sergio is a middleweight why should canelo jump the likes of murray pirog quillin chavez jnr golovkin sturm geale there all legit middleweights who make for some serious competition if martinez was his goal he would have fought at middleweight already i think floyds his defining fight even though floyds not a jnr middle hes very close to jnr middle but taking on trout and cotto 1st would be a better move before fighting floyd thats if floyd will fight him at 154lbs.At jnr middle the 2 biggest names for canelo are cotto and trout the most dangerous i think is lara! time will tell on that one,if he can beat cotto and then beat trout impressively i think he should be considered a true world champion even though hes still very young and still growing.

Comment

stupid hypothetical but yeah I think if he were to beat Trout or Martinez he would cease to be overrated.
          But I don't think he would beat either guy, because he's overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
            canelo certainly is a phenom in his own right, i mean no ones that good at just 22 years of age but he needs to at least defeat trout or another top 154 pounder before he even thinks of fighting mayweather. throw him in with legit opposition and we'll see if he's really that good. everybody wants the mayweather fight, who would want a big pay check win or lose.
            You mean he thinks he is that good in his own mind..Vargas at 22 was better than Canelo..We dont even have to take it back to Benitez..cause El Radar was at a totally different level. Canelo is being fed tomatoe cans..anyone can look like a monster againts a tomatoe can..

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
              You mean he thinks he is that good in his own mind..Vargas at 22 was better than Canelo..We dont even have to take it back to Benitez..cause El Radar was at a totally different level. Canelo is being fed tomatoe cans..anyone can look like a monster againts a tomatoe can..
              just saying that to not sound biased, but i completely agree, canelo is not part of the elite, but he's a third of the way there. he just needs to seal it with a win over trout and finish it with win over mayweather *wishful thinking*

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
                benitez is an ATG, he had monster aggression but the most notable of his accolades was he won the WBA belt at just 17. canelo is no where near that level but in today's standards, a young fighter is lucky to even be part of pvp card, not to mention be the main event
                You don't have to go that far. Devon Alexander, Broner, DLH, Floyd, Morales, MAB, Vargas had all won legit titles by 22 while fighting real comp, not setups.

Comment

No disrespect but that is kinda of a stupid question...

I don't even give a **** if he loses to those fighters, just fight THE BEST, I have more respect for Amir Khan for actually taking on Tough Fights when he could have easily played it safe and hid behind GBP and take the easy path to Mayweather but instead while Calling Mayweather out at least Khan was fighting the best of the best in his division!

Canelo on the other hand...he haven't fought anybody good at 154...ANYBODY!

Also gain more respect for Chavez Jr as well for actually FIGHTING MARTINEZ when he probably could have kept avoiding him
                  Last edited by sicko; 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Beating Martinez would skyrocket his status.

Comment

Originally posted by Clig View Post
                      Beating Martinez would skyrocket his status.
                      for sure and depending on how he does it, he could leapfrog the p4p list and clinch the top spot but that's wishful thinking, in reality, martinez would school canelo's ass and probably even spark him

Comment

Working...
                      X