• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Mayweather Hurt Cotto At 154?

Can he hurt Cotto at that weight?

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
    Can he hurt Cotto at that weight?
    With the right punch? Absolutely.

Floyd has some pop and it's not like Cotto has some cast iron chin.

Comment

He buckled Oscar legs a few times who was well over 160 pounds. He didnt "hurt" him though. With that said I think he can put Cotto on queer street with a right hand. Its a punch Cotto still has no defense for. Even Yuri Foreman was landing that right at will.

He'll hurt Cotto.

Comment

he can hurt him

he can even knock him out

Comment

He can.

Floyd hit's harder than given credit for and Miguel is open to that straight right hand.

Comment

Floyd has underrated power.

But I think Mig's camp is probably more concerned about cuts & swelling than a one hitter quitter. Cotto cuts & swells easily nowadays.

Comment

He will hurt Cotto. A lot. He'll have Cotto backing up.

Comment

I've seen Miguel take good shots from very solid hitters, even if he looked a bit vulnerable back at 140 and in his early welterweight fights.

I mean, Cotto's chin was checked by Judah, Pacquiao, Mosley- plaster enhanced Margarito. The guy's been hit. That, and the fact that I truly believe his last few fights at 147 displayed he'd outgrown the weight and was fighting the scales as much as his opponent.

Until Cotto's reign at junior middleweight is done, I can't really say if he's resurrected himself at 154, but the guy used to be arguably the best, strongest welterweight champion for several years. He fought everyone.

That's the context I put this question in. Floyd isn't a very big puncher at all, and it seems to me Cotto will be the largest man, closest to his prime, that Floyd has dealt with.

Hurt? I know you don't mean swelling Cotto's eyes shut or hard countering that slowly wears Miguel down...you mean can Floyd stun or KO Cotto?

I don't think so.

Not just because of Floyd's pop, but because I'm still giving Cotto some credit and assuming he's found a second wind at 154.

Just me...

Comment

floyd is not an offensive minded boxer so hurting an opponent is not a priority. floyd definitely has power and will earn cotto's respect pretty quickly. a quick jab coming at an unsuspecting cotto can also take him out. floyd is no margarito.. he's much faster, hard to hit and will cause a lot of problems to cotto especially with quick counters and right hands. cotto is really not that fast anymore but will have some pop @154, he should study the first rounds of mosley tape. a couple of mosley's 1-2's really caught floyd unprepared.then of course floyd knows how to adjust, so it will be tough for cotto.

Comment

He can and he will. Floyd will be training to have power in his shots when he touches Cotto. It's obvious that Floyd has revamped his style to be more fan friendly. He's looking to knock Cotto out so he will be bulking up. When he touches Cotto, he will make an impact. I predict a 10 count KO in round 9.

Comment

Working...
                    X