No announcement yet.

The difference between Boxing and MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightfan82 View Post
    You obviously don't watch much UFC then. Last night was a great card.
    I didnt say I dont enjoy it, but its not real fighting. It has developed into a sport. When there are multiple rules in place to protect the fighters from injury its no longer fighting. Its going to need a rule change again in the near future to keep it from turning into wrestling where they trade jabs before attempting a takedown.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
      UFC is so far from fighting its ridiculous. Maybe in 1992 it was, but not now.
      It's really not THAT far from fighting. No biting, twisting skin, eye pokes, ball shots, bending/breaking fingers or toes, grabbing the windpipe or hitting directly to the back of the head.

Those are pretty much the main rules. Other organizations (Not the UFC) allow soccer kicks, stomps to the head of downed opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by BMD View Post
        I'm talking about a straight up fist fight. You would resort to knives, seeing as how boxing couldn't save you. Actually, it could save you, but only if you could defend yourself against other aspects of fighting, like some sort of grappling defense.

But if you couldn't fight in more than just using your hands, then you wouldn't be purely a boxer, now would you?
        Dude.... I don't care. I like boxing. I don't fight on the street, or go up to people and pick fights. It's completely irrelevant... Not to mention MMA is not anything like a street fight even if you throw at weapons. Better suited to a street fight then boxing.. Probably, but that depends on the situation. A random boxer vs random MMA guy would probably stay standing up until the boxer ko'd him. Either way I dont care.

Just leave the forum. You have no life, or really feel insecure if you have to create a account, and come to a boxing forum, and start BS threads.

Comment

I'm talking about a straight up fist fight. You would resort to knives, seeing as how boxing couldn't save you. Actually, it could save you, but only if you could defend yourself against other aspects of fighting, like some sort of grappling defense.

But if you couldn't fight in more than just using your hands, then you wouldn't be purely a boxer, now would you?
          Does that make sense to you?

Comment

Rookie boxer destroys Don Frye in street fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
              Listen, if you came at me and took me down in a street fight (lol), I'd bite you and head butt the crap out of you to try and get you off.

This MMA stuff doesn't work in a street fight the same way boxing doesn't work, who's really going to pull guard in a streetfight? Let alone try triangle chokes etc wearing shoes and jeans.
              You wouldn't be able to headbutt from the bottom, and you wouldn't get a chance to bite me as I would be moving. Even if you did bite me, it would hurt, but I'd live, and you would be unconcious.

And you're acting like I couldn't do the same thing to you... especially since it would be easier from a dominant position.

You're also acting like I have to follow MMA rules on the street. We learn martial arts before we do it for sport. And in traditional martial arts, you are tought to fight for defense on the street, not the cage. So you learn all about "dirty" fighting.
              Last edited by BMD; 08-29-2010, 11:53 PM.

Comment

It's really not THAT far from fighting. No biting, twisting skin, eye pokes, ball shots, bending/breaking fingers or toes, grabbing the windpipe or hitting directly to the back of the head.

Those are pretty much the main rules. Other organizations (Not the UFC) allow soccer kicks, stomps to the head of downed opponents.
                UFC removed kicks and knees to downed opponents and hair pulling along with those 7 other rules you mentioned. If Im a boxer and I can break your damn fingers or bite your neck every time you attempt a hold you're going to be rendered ineffective. It is not fighting. Nowhere near.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
                  Does that make sense to you?
                  You can use fists on the ground, too. You are acting like once it hits the ground that punches aren't allowed.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to headbutt from the bottom, and you wouldn't get a chance to bite me as I would be moving.
                    omg you're such a douche.

Comment

Boxing is the sport of PUNCHING. MMA is the sport of FIGHTING.

Boxing is fake fighting. And don't take that the wrong way. Boxing truly is a sweet science. But what I mean by "fake fighting" that is it is highly focused. In a real fight, the distances are different. The stance has to be different. You can't just stand there with your gloves in front of your face waiting to pick a shot. The footwork has to be different. Because there is no threat of a takedown or getting kicked or pushed up against a fence, or held, tripped, swept, etc, then it creates fake techniques that aren't realistic in a real fight.

You cannot use boxing footwork and stances and a lot of techniques because in a real fight there are many other threats. You may be out of punching range, but you are still in kicking range. You can't stand upright because you can get taken down. It's just a completely different game.

A lot of people say well I'd like to see MMA guys get in the boxing ring and get owned. And they would. Because boxing is a highly specific sport. Think of it this way... a boxer can enter an MMA fight with still with ALL of their tools, while an MMA fighter in a boxing match has to leave most of his tools at home.

Does anybody kind of understand what I am saying about boxing being such a small, specific part of fighting that a lot of what you can get away with in a boxing match you would never be able to do in a real fight?

And try to be civil, and try to debate in a reasonable manner. I respect boxing the same as MMA. But to say boxers are better FIGHTERS just isn't true.
                      **** man! I knew this bull***** was gonna happen after the fight.

**** mma. 2 guys rolling on the ground dry humping is gay.

Comment

Working...
                      X