Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shakur Stevenson: Top Rank Was The Best Fit, Where I Want To Be

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    I'm happy for Stevenson. Shows me he really has smart people around him and that he might be another Floyd/ODH and not a waste like Broner.

Like many on NSB I despise Bob. But lets face facts, he and TR know how to build a young fighter into a star better than any other promotional company.

When you have the pro potential that a Stevenson does, you don't take chances with an up and coming company like TMT.

Hopefully we get to see Shakur v Conlan down the road since we didn't get to see it in the Olympics.
    More insanity

What are these mofos smokin'???????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      More insanity

What are these mofos smokin'???????????????????????
      Dude, can't tell if serious or joking.

TR is the absolute best when it comes to developing young boxers. If my son were boxing, I'd send him to TR after the Olympics but I would hire a contract lawyer before signing so when its time to leave like Floyd and Mikey, it can be done smoothly like with ODH.

Floyd hasn't developed enough young fighters for me to send my son to him and ODH is too unstable and addicted and seems to understand the mexican/Mex Amer market but not any other.

TR is the absolute way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Dude, can't tell if serious or joking.

TR is the absolute best when it comes to developing young boxers. If my son were boxing, I'd send him to TR after the Olympics but I would hire a contract lawyer before signing so when its time to leave like Floyd and Mikey, it can be done smoothly like with ODH.

Floyd hasn't developed enough young fighters for me to send my son to him and ODH is too unstable and addicted and seems to understand the mexican/Mex Amer market but not any other.

TR is the absolute way to go IMO.
        Arum is the absolute worst.

You act like Arum hasn't learned from his past mistakes by losing 2 of the biggest names in boxing.

Shakur is in for long legal battles...sitting on the sidelines...and fighting on **** PPV cards.

Where is he going to fight??
        Ask yourself that.

Tank Davis already has a title.
        Devin Haney gets all kinds of press....is always busy..and always in demand.

Frampton...Santa Cruz
        Look at their careers...you don't see small guys like that pulling that kind of bank.

I don't know about you...but I'd rather my son be surrounded by people that look out for him...not an old rat that's had his offices raided by the FBI

They leave Arum for a REASON!

Look how Arum is ****ing Pacman

Manny didn't see a DIME from the Cotto fight..you want that for your son?

Comment

Wait a minute..this dude is managed by J.Prince and folks are bashing him signing to Arum? Seriously? FOH.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
            No one gets a clean break from Top Rank (unless they don't want you any more)
            Mayweather got a clean break, and Stevenson is surrounded by folks who are shrewd operators when it comes to handling their business.

It may cost him some money, but I doubt he gets caught in a Walters or Chavez Jr-type situation.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
              Wait a minute..this dude is managed by J.Prince and folks are bashing him signing to Arum? Seriously? FOH.
              Whats weird is Andre Ward is one of his managers too, and Ward opted for Arum instead of Roc Nation where he signed.

J Prince is Arums guy though, Prince likes Arum a lot for some reason. Its almost like Robert Garcia and Freddie Roach, they seem to be aligned with Top Rank but they arent but their names are associated since they train mostly top rank fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                Who has Arum built in the last quarter century that HBO didn't have a huge hand in. HBO then and HBO now are like two totally different animals.
                Top Rank did most of their business the last 25 years on HBO, so of course HBO had a hand in most of their fighters.

But since you add the "huge" in with it, there are fighters I would say they built up without HBO having a "huge" hand in (at least not as much as they did with former Olympians like De La Hoya, Mayweather and Cotto).

For example, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. had 40+ fights before he fought on HBO...much of that on PPV's (many of them smaller cards) and Spanish-language TV.

Not sure there's another promoter that could have built JCC Jr. into what Top Rank did....and we saw what happened to his career as soon as he left.

It's not just how they promote and publicize a fighter, it's also about how they match them and build markets for them.

And that's a problem with your narrative....it assumes that any promoter could have built the fighters Top Rank did as well as Top Rank did.

But it was Top Rank, for example, that made Cotto damn-near synonymous with MSG and the Puerto Rican Day Parade in NY.

Top Rank even kept him on the MSG/Puerto Rican Day Parade schedule even when they didn't have HBO...like they did with the Cotto-Malignaggi PPV.

The MSG/Puerto Rican Day Parade thing is something Top Rank has kept up even without Cotto...which is why one year Cotto was fighting over at Barclays a week before it.

They're planning something similar with Michael Conlan by having him fight on St. Patrick's Day this year at MSG.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                  Top Rank did most of their business the last 25 years on HBO, so of course HBO had a hand in most of their fighters.

But since you add the "huge" in with it, there are fighters I would say they built up without HBO having a "huge" hand in (at least not as much as they did with former Olympians like De La Hoya, Mayweather and Cotto).

For example, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. had 40+ fights before he fought on HBO...much of that on PPV's (many of them smaller cards) and Spanish-language TV.

Not sure there's another promoter that could have built JCC Jr. into what Top Rank did....and we saw what happened to his career as soon as he left.

It's not just how they promote and publicize a fighter, it's also about how they match them and build markets for them.

And that's a problem with your narrative....it assumes that any promoter could have built the fighters Top Rank did as well as Top Rank did.

But it was Top Rank, for example, that made Cotto damn-near synonymous with MSG and the Puerto Rican Day Parade in NY.

Top Rank even kept him on the MSG/Puerto Rican Day Parade schedule even when they didn't have HBO...like they did with the Cotto-Malignaggi PPV.

The MSG/Puerto Rican Day Parade thing is something Top Rank has kept up even without Cotto...which is why one year Cotto was fighting over at Barclays a week before it.

They're planning something similar with Michael Conlan by having him fight on St. Patrick's Day this year at MSG.
                  JCC Jr. is nothing to write home about. Cotto was big on HBO yea they did the New York thing but that is not what made him a huge star.

Top Rank is one of the strong players in boxing so signing with them makes sense it is just they need to change with the times if HBO is not going to be as big of a factor. There are like 3 or 4 en****** US that are good for prospects right now US and Top Rank is on the list but they all have their advantages and disadvantages currently.

10 to 15 years ago would be a different story.
                  Last edited by The Gambler1981; 02-11-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

TR is more professional and reliable than TMT.

Good decision he made to not sign with Mayweather Promotions or Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      JCC Jr. is nothing to write home about.
                      That's kinda the point...

Comment

Working...
                      X