No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis was going to retire after Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Someone88 View Post
    Tyson was washed up so I don't think Lewis should get too much credit for that win. Vitali wasn't in his prime either, sure he was closer to his than Lewis. But to say imagine what either would have done is speculation. .
    its not speculation, if Lewis was stronger, faster better then he would have taken down Vitali in less than 6 rounds, not the 6 he needed when fat and old.

Its simple math.

He wasnt going to take longer if he was stronger faster better, was he?

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
      Where have I given Lewis credit for beating a washed up Tyson?

And isn't that what you're trying to imply though?

That if there was a rematch the outcome would be very different?
      You didn't I just brought that up. No I wasn't trying to imply the rematch would be very different, I think it would be a similar fight if they were in their primes or in the rematch I'm not sure of the result, the fight was competitive while it lasted.

Comment

Vitali is much better than anyone Lewis faced other than Holyfield, I could say Vitali is better than him too.
        then you'd be a fool. Evander could give Vitali a good fight as an about-to-be pensioner he is today, nevermind when he was postprime.

Vitali was still throwing punches, Lewis was tired and hurt as well Vitali still could have won.
        you cant win with an eye hanging out. In what universe can you win with an eye hanging out?

Comment

You didn't I just brought that up. No I wasn't trying to imply the rematch would be very different, I think it would be a similar fight if they were in their primes or in the rematch I'm not sure of the result, the fight was competitive while it lasted.
          That's the part the confuses me about your posting. It doesn't stack/add up/not logical.

If Lewis was in or near his prime he would have been much more focussed, quicker, in better shape, stronger, etc.

Vitali who was much nearer his prime probably wouldn't have seen much a difference.

Now considering what an unfit and unfocussed Lewis did to Vitali's eye, a more prime and focussed Lewis would have beaten the brakes off him.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
            its not speculation, if Lewis was stronger, faster better then he would have taken down Vitali in less than 6 rounds, not the 6 he needed when fat and old.

Its simple math.

He wasnt going to take longer if he was stronger faster better, was he?
            No it's not that simple. Fighting isn't maths, you should know that. Vitali wasn't that experienced when they fought. If Lewis was more dominant then your argument would be stronger, but he wasn't dominant.

Since then Vitali has been dominating, I don't know what would have happened if they fought in their primes but I think they are at least around the same level.

Comment

No it's not that simple. Fighting isn't maths, you should know that. Vitali wasn't that experienced when they fought. If Lewis was more dominant then your argument would be stronger, but he wasn't dominant.

Since then Vitali has been dominating, I don't know what would have happened if they fought in their primes but I think they are at least around the same level.
              The level of guys Vitali has been dominating against isn't near the level of the guys Lewis dominated and beat.

They're not around the same level.

Comment

oh this debateis so dumb, Vitali was 33 wasnt he? Exactly how much longer does a boxer require to reach his prime?

If you arent prime by 33 then you arent much good to begin with, and you arent going to get better. Even the latest bloomers like Bernard Hopkins had peaked around that age.

Like I said, he had every advantage but he failed on the big stage, as he has always done.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                  then you'd be a fool. Evander could give Vitali a good fight as an about-to-be pensioner he is today, nevermind when he was postprime.

you cant win with an eye hanging out. In what universe can you win with an eye hanging out?
                  My point was that other than Holyfield he doesn't have many great wins, he was impressive in victory though. Vitali's eye wasn't hanging out, he still could have won. I'm not saying he would have just saying he could have.

Comment

Against vastly inferior opposition.

That much is easy to work out, correct.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
                      That's the part the confuses me about your posting. It doesn't stack/add up/not logical.

If Lewis was in or near his prime he would have been much more focussed, quicker, in better shape, stronger, etc.

Vitali who was much nearer his prime probably wouldn't have seen much a difference.

Now considering what an unfit and unfocussed Lewis did to Vitali's eye, a more prime and focussed Lewis would have beaten the brakes off him.
                      I'm not so sure those cuts would have happened if they fought more times, I think Vitali still would have been cut but maybe not like that. Other than the superficial damage the fight was competitive.

Comment

Working...
                      X