Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duran vs Buchanan: Was Foul Cry a Hoax?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ref grabbed Duran on his forearm and brought the punch downward thats how it landed low!! Kenny was getting hammered and looked like he wanted out of that fight! Duran was to much for him and Ken couldn't deal with the pressure. Kenny wantd to stand up and box and Duran just fought his normal style and kicked his butt, simple as that! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      If you've been in the ring, you know that there is only so much protection a groin protector can offer. And I'd suspect that they weren't as well-engineered in the seventies as they are today.

Buchanan had testicular surgery; to suggest that it was a result of cumulative shots to the abdomen is absurd. It was a low-blow after the bell. Duran should have been disqualified.
      A DQ is arguable. I will say that even with todays protectors it still hurts like hell taking a solid shot in the nuts. Duran may have only been 135lbs, but people underestimate the power an elite fighter can generate unless they've actually been in the ring with a top notch pro.

Comment

In summation...

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
        Looks low to me.

Inconclusive. Not all still photos become smoking-gun evidence. If you posed for a photo in front of a wall-mounted moosehead, the image might appear as if you've sprouted antlers out of your head.

Buchanan is not a gifted thespian and did sustain severe scrotal injury, resulting in reparative surgery. All we've ever had is circumstantial evidence and it's apparent that's all we'll ever have. I started this thread in search of direct (smoking-gun) evidence, which doesn't exist.

So be it.

Comment

Really ?, a picture clearly showing Duran's fist on Buchanan's Tartan nethers and the undeniable fact that he had surgery after the fight isn't proof that he got hit in the balls ?, you've got too be some kind of sadist too watch that clip over n over again in slow motion, what did Buchanan have too gain from this if it wasn't low and he did dive ?, and did he punch himself afterwards so he had to get surgery ?.
          Far more evidence for Duran hitting him low then there is for the other way around.

Comment

It was definitely low. I'll upload it when I find it, but the DVD entitled "Champions Forever: Latin Legends" shows a replay from a different angle then we are used to seeing.

Unquestionably low, and I don't think Buchanan was faking. He may have been getting his ass kicked, but Duran was a hard puncher and hit him was a vicious low blow.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              If you've been in the ring, you know that there is only so much protection a groin protector can offer. And I'd suspect that they weren't as well-engineered in the seventies as they are today.

Buchanan had testicular surgery; to suggest that it was a result of cumulative shots to the abdomen is absurd. It was a low-blow after the bell. Duran should have been disqualified.
              That's a bit of an overreaction. It was low of course, but it was at the bell, during an exchange between both guys and it wasn't intentional.

Buchanan should have been given 5, and, at the most, Duran had a point deducted. There hadn't been any warnings prior, it wasn't a foul filled low blow fest and thus shouldn't result in DQ.

Peterson was rightly DQd. Mares should have been DQd, or at least had two points taken off so he understood he was about to get DQd for doing it again. Duran hitting accidentally during an exchange at the bell is not really worthy of anything more than a point deduction and a 5 min rest for Ken.

It's a pity he didn't get his rematch. It wouldn't have made a difference most likely but it would put a conclusive, uncontroversial end to it. A great fighter such as Ken deserves his rematch and a chance at redemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                The ref grabbed Duran on his forearm and brought the punch downward thats how it landed low!! Kenny was getting hammered and looked like he wanted out of that fight! Duran was to much for him and Ken couldn't deal with the pressure. Kenny wantd to stand up and box and Duran just fought his normal style and kicked his butt, simple as that! Ray.
                I tend to agree with Ray. I belive kenny was a very good champ but could not hold off the young duran so you have to give roberto credit for his domination of this very good fighter. The blow was low but could easily be for the reason Ray has mentioned. If there was a rematch a duran with more polish from arcel and brown would have been even more dominate. BUT OUCH THAT MUST HAVE HURT

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  ...It's a pity he didn't get his rematch. It wouldn't have made a difference most likely but it would put a conclusive, uncontroversial end to it. A great fighter such as Ken deserves his rematch and a chance at redemption.
                  Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  ...If there was a rematch a duran with more polish from arcel and brown would have been even more dominate. BUT OUCH THAT MUST HAVE HURT
                  Who knows what might have happened in a rematch... Maybe Buchanan frustrates Duran into "nomassing" before Leonard...

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    Who knows what might have happened in a rematch... Maybe Buchanan frustrates Duran into "nomassing" before Leonard...
                    as good of a fighter as ken was I do not think the combination of circumstances that led up to no mas in 1980 , gluttoney, and lack of self disipline would have occurred in 1974 or so. Kenny just did not have the physical assets to pull off what ray leonard did.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                      as good of a fighter as ken was I do not think the combination of circumstances that led up to no mas in 1980 , gluttoney, and lack of self disipline would have occurred in 1974 or so. Kenny just did not have the physical assets to pull off what ray leonard did.
                      I don't think so either. I was just kidding with a touch of sarcasm. (It's so hard to convey attitude through the printed word.)

Comment

Working...
                      X