This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first to get checked by a black man

My first job I had a black manager and we got a long like no one else. Always cracking jokes ect. I looked forward to going to work with him even though he was 20 years older than I was.

I had a bad habit of calling people boy and it didnt matter color. Shoot I was 17 and was living in Rio linda Ca. I though we were all the same. I didnt grow up in a racial household and I didnt see color. My parents struggled as much as everyone else in the area.

So one day we were working today and I we were giving each other **** lol. I called him boy, big mistake! This was someone I considered a friend and I didnt know it would offend him. Oh man did it. He took me in the back room and pretty much attacked me. This was a shock because we were boys and I didnt understand why he was so upset until he explained it to me.

We went on to become great friends. I left that job shortly after and started my shop. I worked on his cars and next to nothing.

To this day it is a memory that sticks with me. I wear my heart on my sleeve and its something Ill never forget. Never used the work again but it just sticks with me. It sux.

Sometimes white people dont understand at a young age what offends people. It maybe different those day as this was almost 30 years ago.

Anyone else have something like this happen in their youth where they didnt know what they were saying offended anyone.

For the record I went on a fat cow kick as I thought it was funny at 15. I didnt talk to my aunt for years after that one. She wasnt fat but it was a slag I picked up.

I've noticed they call white guys "white boy" then wait for a reaction, but boy isn't really an insult in white culture, so it's like flipping someone off with their back turned when they can't see it. Silly.

Man I don't miss living in a melting pot and all the awkward feminine stress that goes with it. I get my nostalgia here on boxingscene.

Comment

I worked wiht a mechanic named Muhammad from Egypt I believe. I was 18 at the time, he was middle aged. He was a great guy. Funny, humble, generous, and a hard worker. We were working on a car together and I said “hey m’fer pass me the wrench”. He was almost in tears as he asked me not to say these words to him. Next day same thing happened. The words left my mouth before I had a chance to stop. He lost his shyt. He began screaming at the top of his lungs and banging the frame of the car with his wrench like a madman. Apparently he took the term literally and thought I was actually telling him to fcvk his mother. We all assured him I meant no offense and I apologized profusely. It never happened again and we went on like nothing ever happened. Sometimes language barriers and slang profanity aren’t a good mix.

Comment

Are these copy pastas? Wtf am I reading

Comment

Unless my boss has a great rack and a crazy ass, I wouldn't want a boss as a ''friend''.

Comment

Part of being an adult is knowing how to talk to people. You dont call somebody boy especially your superior.

Somebody calls me boy niga he is out of my circle if I dont slap him the fuk up.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
              Part of being an adult is knowing how to talk to people. You dont call somebody boy especially your superior.

Somebody calls me boy niga he is out of my circle if I dont slap him the fuk up.
              Yeah at 17 I didn't think things over very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                Unless my boss has a great rack and a crazy ass, I wouldn't want a boss as a ''friend''.
                More like a mentor.

Comment

I say **** them if they can't take a joke. If it's not my intention to offend...then I won't apologize. Apologies are for accepting wrongdoing.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                    More like a mentor.
                    Going from your story, you 2 were too chummy, imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X