Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflections on HBO now they're ending boxing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said as usual

Anorak

Very well said, I thoroughly enjoyed your ode to the crew. I remember one day in New York City as a kid, going to a friend's house...this friend was one of those who, because the dad was not home, the dad would get the family good ****t. So they have this weird ****t on the tv and they say "this is cable, and it has no commercials." I still remember HBO as being one of those original channels.

Can't remember when HBO went whole hog into sports, or if they started that way, but what I do remember is the shift from when the fights were more about the fights than the networks. it seems like HBO embraced that change and really developed a class of tragically flawed characters to give us the take...Wasn't Dennis the pompous @zz miller HBO? Wow! what a novelty, a walking thesaurus, can we burn it like the Nazi's did to books mom?

Was HBO deliberate about this? I mean Showtime by comparison... Al Bernstein was always just talented at what he did...But merchant and Letterman? Both guys had an edge...And it had to be taken off daily with intoxicating elements. And what of Kellerman? Everybody's Jewish little brother. I used to feel guilty everytime I saw him because I never sent him anything for his bar Mitzva. kellerman, who was so smart that he went to one of the most elite High schools in the country (Hunter in NYC, in my old hood), could truly be moronic with his commentary.

Its almost as if HBO was trying to play out a greek tragedy. Guys like Merchant who had been Oscar Madison on steriods, were allowed to slowly come apart at the seams in front of us. HBO was more than broadcasting, it was theater, a performance piece of the absurdity of what happens when athletes are validated by extreme sums of money, and the broadcast crew, though talented beyond measure, could be a stand in for Jimmy Breslin's infamous "gang that could not shoot straight" mafia family.

The real irony was that it worked, at least to a degree. Kellerman was consistent, even though he was awful, and Roy, in his most confusing, spinning web obfiscations, would, on occasion call, to the blow, when a fighter was going down. lampley? definitely the straight man in this crew...remember that with the sheer amount of alcohol intoxication present, even a straight man could imbibe in this gang! and judging from his situation at home...Jim hit the bottle almost as hard as Merchant and Ledderman.

I will miss the gang. merchant leaving is the end of an era. Cossell was the patron saint of men like merchant. these men stood for something. Cossell stood by Ali and his decision when the rest of the establishment only wanted to see Ali punished. Merchant is cut from that cloth...and though many see him as rascist because he yelled at Floyd, here is the truth as I see it: merchant had to respect Floyd to get that angry at him. Period. Floyd pissed him off because he had enough respect for Floyd to be pissed off.

So i will miss the gang... Heres to them

Comment

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
      If you take the whole package, I don't know what team was better. Trust me, they irritated the **** out of me when they were biased against my fighters multiple times, but overall thought they were solid.
      I do enjoy Showtime (and the legend that is Steve Holdsworth, but that's a whole other story...) but if this is the "best" team, it shows how low the bar is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
        Also I'm surprised Max gets a lot of hate on here. I find his boxing analysis to be top notch. Same with Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Anorak

Very well said, I thoroughly enjoyed your ode to the crew. I remember one day in New York City as a kid, going to a friend's house...this friend was one of those who, because the dad was not home, the dad would get the family good ****t. So they have this weird ****t on the tv and they say "this is cable, and it has no commercials." I still remember HBO as being one of those original channels.

Can't remember when HBO went whole hog into sports, or if they started that way, but what I do remember is the shift from when the fights were more about the fights than the networks. it seems like HBO embraced that change and really developed a class of tragically flawed characters to give us the take...Wasn't Dennis the pompous @zz miller HBO? Wow! what a novelty, a walking thesaurus, can we burn it like the Nazi's did to books mom?

Was HBO deliberate about this? I mean Showtime by comparison... Al Bernstein was always just talented at what he did...But merchant and Letterman? Both guys had an edge...And it had to be taken off daily with intoxicating elements. And what of Kellerman? Everybody's Jewish little brother. I used to feel guilty everytime I saw him because I never sent him anything for his bar Mitzva. kellerman, who was so smart that he went to one of the most elite High schools in the country (Hunter in NYC, in my old hood), could truly be moronic with his commentary.

Its almost as if HBO was trying to play out a greek tragedy. Guys like Merchant who had been Oscar Madison on steriods, were allowed to slowly come apart at the seams in front of us. HBO was more than broadcasting, it was theater, a performance piece of the absurdity of what happens when athletes are validated by extreme sums of money, and the broadcast crew, though talented beyond measure, could be a stand in for Jimmy Breslin's infamous "gang that could not shoot straight" mafia family.

The real irony was that it worked, at least to a degree. Kellerman was consistent, even though he was awful, and Roy, in his most confusing, spinning web obfiscations, would, on occasion call, to the blow, when a fighter was going down. lampley? definitely the straight man in this crew...remember that with the sheer amount of alcohol intoxication present, even a straight man could imbibe in this gang! and judging from his situation at home...Jim hit the bottle almost as hard as Merchant and Ledderman.

I will miss the gang. merchant leaving is the end of an era. Cossell was the patron saint of men like merchant. these men stood for something. Cossell stood by Ali and his decision when the rest of the establishment only wanted to see Ali punished. Merchant is cut from that cloth...and though many see him as rascist because he yelled at Floyd, here is the truth as I see it: merchant had to respect Floyd to get that angry at him. Period. Floyd pissed him off because he had enough respect for Floyd to be pissed off.

So i will miss the gang... Heres to them
          This is a great post, we need more like you.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            Then there was his downright weird habit of adopting another country's accent if he had to say the name of any foreign country. Who can forget when he introduced Michael Katsidis and put on his best Steve Irwin voice to say "... from Australia".
            I'll never forget the sponsor accent he did before the Pac-Bradley fight. I remember the whole room busting out in laughter when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
              This is a great post, we need more like you.
              Right back at you. I wish more posters would take a moment and write something thoughtful without worrying that people may not like what they said.

Self consciousness is toxic to writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                I'll never forget the sponsor accent he did before the Pac-Bradley fight. I remember the whole room busting out in laughter when it happened.

What's going on in the guy's head?

Comment

I will miss HBO, commentary could be terribly biased, but they still have the best production in the business.

Comment

Working...
                  X