Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth that Ward was the one that initiated the dirty tactics in Kovalev fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    I think we need to use the common denominator here. Has Kovalev blatantly cheated in previous fights? I haven't seen it. I can show you where Ward has. So I have to think that any fight Ward is in is going to be dirty. What I wonder about is why he gets a pass. The Kessler fight was atrocious. Kovalev, along with most top guys, never did anything close to that.
    You have to judge a fight by what happens in the fight alone. That's what you are supposed to do. Kovalev started the dirty tactics. He deserves ridicule. It's really not complicated. People are just trying to make it so to excuse one guy cheating.

It's the same people that ridicule Mayeather for Maidana and try and excuse the nutshots etc. Maidana had a reputation as a dirty fighter but they aren't bothered about that.
    Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 06-08-2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      You have to judge a fight by what happens in the fight alone. That's what you are supposed to do. Kovalev started the dirty tactics. He deserves ridicule. It's really not complicated. People are just trying to make it so to excuse one guy cheating.
      It doesn't work that way. Put yourself in Kovalev's shoes. You're going in against a guy who is known for this stuff and the referees never take points. I mean, what are you going to do? Everything you can to win, which means nullifying the cheating and that can require cheating sure enough. I despise cheating but in these circumstances, I don't blame the guy for retaliating. Maybe he did initiate it. But Ward did his own share as well. That double leg takedown and the clinching and all of it. He's done all of that stuff a lot before. I see no reason for Kovalev to just take that crap. I'm not even saying you're wrong, but Ward does have a serious cheating reputation and he brought that on himself.

Comment

It doesn't work that way. Put yourself in Kovalev's shoes. You're going in against a guy who is known for this stuff and the referees never take points. I mean, what are you going to do? Everything you can to win, which means nullifying the cheating and that can require cheating sure enough. I despise cheating but in these circumstances, I don't blame the guy for retaliating. Maybe he did initiate it. But Ward did his own share as well. That double leg takedown and the clinching and all of it. He's done all of that stuff a lot before. I see no reason for Kovalev to just take that crap. I'm not even saying you're wrong, but Ward does have a serious cheating reputation and he brought that on himself.
        He did initiate it, so hows that retaliating? Ward was the one retaliating. Kovalev did it because he can't fight inside, to gain an advantage. You can't say it's OK for that guy to foul but wrong for that guy. That's ridiculous. Why can't you see that?

Comment

He did initiate it, so hows that retaliating? Ward was the one retaliating. Kovalev did it because he can't fight inside, to gain an advantage. You can't say it's OK for that guy to foul but wrong for that guy. That's ridiculous. Why can't you see that?
          Okay, you're saying that past fights don't matter. So we shouldn't take that into consideration. In that case, I guess any Wilder opponent shouldn't look out for his wild flurries and his right hand. I mean, the past fights don't matter. Right? That's just not realistic.

I'm not saying Kovalev has a strong inside fighting game. I know he doesn't. So what? How many guys out there these days do? Like a handful of well known fighters can fight on the inside. Most other top guys are worthless on the inside. I don't like it but it's the way it is. Roberto Duran was a very rare fighter indeed.

I'm not saying it's right for either of them to foul. However, if I'm going in against a known cheater, I'm going to be ready, as Kovalev was. The holding behind the head thing happens a lot these days because a lot of guys bend at the waist, which they are not supposed to do but are NEVER called out for doing. I made a separate thread on this. Has any fighter EVER been deducted a point for bending at the waist? And yet how many do it?

I see your side of it, but I can't agree. If you think some fans will make excuses for Kovalev cheating, does it not stand to reason that some Ward fans would do the same? Many fans would do this for their favorite fighter. I like Wlad a lot but his clinching against Povetkin was awful and Povetkin was not known as a cheater either. It was ridiculous and I didn't agree with it. He should have been penalized a lot more. However, some Wlad fans went right along with it. I don't agree with it either.

Comment

Okay, you're saying that past fights don't matter. So we shouldn't take that into consideration. In that case, I guess any Wilder opponent shouldn't look out for his wild flurries and his right hand. I mean, the past fights don't matter. Right? That's just not realistic.

I'm not saying Kovalev has a strong inside fighting game. I know he doesn't. So what? How many guys out there these days do? Like a handful of well known fighters can fight on the inside. Most other top guys are worthless on the inside. I don't like it but it's the way it is. Roberto Duran was a very rare fighter indeed.

I'm not saying it's right for either of them to foul. However, if I'm going in against a known cheater, I'm going to be ready, as Kovalev was. The holding behind the head thing happens a lot these days because a lot of guys bend at the waist, which they are not supposed to do but are NEVER called out for doing. I made a separate thread on this. Has any fighter EVER been deducted a point for bending at the waist? And yet how many do it?

I see your side of it, but I can't agree. If you think some fans will make excuses for Kovalev cheating, does it not stand to reason that some Ward fans would do the same? Many fans would do this for their favorite fighter. I like Wlad a lot but his clinching against Povetkin was awful and Povetkin was not known as a cheater either. It was ridiculous and I didn't agree with it. He should have been penalized a lot more. However, some Wlad fans went right along with it. I don't agree with it either.
            I want consistency. Don't complain about the rules being broken and then make excuses for the opponent braking them in same damn fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackclouds View Post
              Kovalev constantly holds with the headlock to prevent any inside work. This guy predicted what Kovalev would do to avoid inside work based on his past fights.

https://youtu.be/mdGqGWBtDFs?t=396
              That's not much of a prediction because Wards camp made it known prior to the fight that they were going to neutralize Ward and his rough tactics.

Comment

I want consistency. Don't complain about the rules being broken and then make excuses for the opponent braking them in same damn fight.
                Most people aren't making excuses. They are trying to explain to you why Kovalev fought the way he did. You just don't want to accept it. Where you outraged when Kessler was headbutted numerous times that caused two cuts, hit by elbows and was clinched by Ward 90 times. Look your guy won but don't expect everyone to bow down and kiss Wards ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  Most people aren't making excuses. They are trying to explain to you why Kovalev fought the way he did. You just don't want to accept it. Where you outraged when Kessler was headbutted numerous times that caused two cuts, hit by elbows and was clinched by Ward 90 times. Look your guy won but don't expect everyone to bow down and kiss Wards ass.
                  They are trying to justify cheating while complaining about cheating.

Pretty obvious these guys are biased as hell.

You either are against the breaking of rules or not, you can't have it both ways ******.
                  Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 06-08-2017, 04:56 AM.

Comment

They are trying to justify cheating while complaining about cheating.

Pretty obvious these guys are biased as hell.

You either are against the breaking of rules or not, you can't have it both ways ******.
                    #1 I'm not a ******.
                    #2 your incredibly stubborn. LOL
                    #3 your on the wrong side of this issue.
                    Fine that's your right.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                      That's not much of a prediction because Wards camp made it known prior to the fight that they were going to neutralize Ward and his rough tactics.
                      That should have read Kovalev's camp.

Comment

Working...
                      X