Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feds seek Unfettered GPS Surveillance Power...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds seek Unfettered GPS Surveillance Power...

What a load of bull****!

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ng-flourishes/

"The Supreme Court is set to hear historic arguments Tuesday in what perhaps is the most important Fourth Amendment case in a decade — one weighing the collision of privacy, technology and the Constitution.

The question before the justices asks: May the police secretly install a Global Positioning System device on a vehicle without a probable cause warrant issued by a judge in order to track a suspect’s every move? "

This is pretty ridiculous, police will abuse the **** out of it, especially the corrupt ones which there are a **** load of. The U.S is already becoming a police state, hopefully this crap doesn't happen.

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
    What a load of bull****!

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ng-flourishes/

"The Supreme Court is set to hear historic arguments Tuesday in what perhaps is the most important Fourth Amendment case in a decade — one weighing the collision of privacy, technology and the Constitution.

The question before the justices asks: May the police secretly install a Global Positioning System device on a vehicle without a probable cause warrant issued by a judge in order to track a suspect’s every move? "

This is pretty ridiculous, police will abuse the **** out of it, especially the corrupt ones which there are a **** load of. The U.S is already becoming a police state, hopefully this crap doesn't happen.
    It'll be a double edged sword much like cameras are in public places. Effective at helping to nab criminals, and an invasion of some privacy in public places.

Comment

I figured it out some one watch "Demolition Man" one to many times and want us to live in some fairy tail enough is enough the police already get away with what ever they want at least in my town... Whats next?

Comment

Wow, how you got a micro-chip inside your brain.

Comment

I think the positive far out ways the negative of this. sure its an invasion of privacy, but if it helps to catch criminals, I don't see the problem.

They can see where you are in your car, so what? I don't see the big deal. Only criminals have something to worry about.

And no, I'm not a conservative right wing. I'm liberal left.

Comment

wheres piggy to defend the government taking away our rights?

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
              I think the positive far out ways the negative of this. sure its an invasion of privacy, but if it helps to catch criminals, I don't see the problem.

They can see where you are in your car, so what? I don't see the big deal. Only criminals have something to worry about.

Well overall you may be right but what about the principal of it all if i happen to remember correctly i thought thousands upon thoughsands of people died so this would be a free country and every chance they get "Goverment" tries to find a way to take more and more of your Freedom away with more and more laws,taxes etc i mean dont u think weve kinda bent enough... Not like anything we say or do is gonna make a difference anyway **** it chip us up!!!

Comment

The Geolocation Privacy and Surveillance (“GPS”) Act has to stay in place!!!!!

Without it, big brother, along with other agencies, will abuse this information at will. Making it possible to track each and every person in the USA that have a native tracking system {cell phone, computer etc...} without permission. They will know when you eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and how much time you spend in the bedroom with your wife, GF whatever ....

Privacy is taken for granted in this country and many don't realize the importance of having it, until its gone, or in this case TAKEN AWAY.

The GPS Act establishes a clear, uniform standard for government access to geolocation data. This will give prosecutors and law enforcement officers clarity about how much evidence they need to remotely track individuals’ movements. It will also give private companies clarity about when they can respond to legitimate law enforcement requests, and what obligations they have to protect their customers’ information. And it will give ordinary citizens confidence that both public safety and their privacy rights are being appropriately protected.

Location Privacy Protection Act
                Under the LPPA, non-governmental individuals or en******, involved in the business of providing a service to electronic communication devices, would not be allowed to knowingly collect, receive, record, obtain or disclose to other non-governmental individuals or en******, the geolocation information from "electronic communication devices" without the express authorization of the individual using the device.4 The LPPA defines "electronic communication device" broadly to include any device that enables access to an electronic communication or geolocation information system or service that is designed or intended to be carried by the individual or travel with the individual (including a vehicle driven by the individual).5 This definition would cover any mobile device such as mobile phones, smart phones, Wi-Fi equipped laptops, gps navigation units or other mobile devices that provide information regarding the location of the device. The LPPA provides exceptions for collection and use of geolocation information in emergencies or when required by statute, regulation or appropriate judicial process.6

Under the LPPA, express authorization requires affirmative consent following a clear and prominent notice that is displayed on the device separate from any end-user license agreement, privacy policy or other similar document and includes information about what geolocation information will be collected and to whom it will be disclosed.7 Where information is disclosed to another individual, a second notification must be provided to the individual within a week (but not before 24 hours) from the initial authorization date.8 This second notification must inform the individual that geolocation information is being disclosed to another individual through the use of the mobile device.9 This notification must also contain instructions on how the individual can revoke the previously given consent to the provider collecting and using the user's geolocation information.10 The LPPA does not apply to the activities of telecommunications or cable carriers to the extent the activities are subject to §§ 222 or 631 of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. §§ 222 and 551).11 However, the LPPA would supersede any state or local laws that allow collection and use of geolocation information prohibited by the LPPA.12

http://wyden.senate.gov/issues/issue...0-83c8ededc332

http://www.whitecase.com/articles-09162011/

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
                  It'll be a double edged sword much like cameras are in public places. Effective at helping to nab criminals, and an invasion of some privacy in public places.
                  Didn't think that one through did ya?

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post

Only problem with this line of thinking is it can be applied to anything as long as it helps to catch criminals. If we didnt require police to have search warrants it would help catch criminals, if they wanted to tap our phones it would help catch criminals, if they had the right to collect DNA samples at will it would help catch criminals, if they wanted each person to be implanted with a microchip to monitor our every movement it would help catch criminals. Safety comes at the price of freedom. Id much rather be free.

Comment

Working...
                    X