Your Thoughts on my Relationship with Coach

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on my Relationship with Coach

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how your relationship is like with your coach... to all the boxers out there.

I've recently switched gyms... and have been training here for a month. The coach at this gym is very selective in the people he trains and invests time in... (i'm 10 months into boxing) Apparently, he likes what he sees in me (he has said so himself and gym parents have told me that he sees potential in me)

However, it seems like he ignores me a lot of the time. I've been sparring with a girl, let's call her Brenda (yup I'm a girl) he seems to only tell her advice during our past few sparring sessions and only compliments her when she lands combos on me. Mind you she has 2-3 years more experience than me.

He would tell her "hit her in the f-cking face!" and he treats me like I am his opponent! She was actually starting to hurt me. It was strange... He seems to act like an a-hole towards me at times. Is he trying to test me? Does he think she's the better fighter or something? Not understanding what he is trying to accomplish. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

***I will report all inappropriate and sexual harassment comments. Thank you.
    Last edited by DespicableMi; 02-23-2018, 12:56 AM. Reason: typo and disclaimer

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering how your relationship is like with your coach... to all the boxers out there.

I've recently switched gyms... and have been training here for a month. The coach at this gym is very selective in the people he trains and invests time in... (i'm 10 months into boxing) Apparently, he likes what he sees in me (he has said so himself and gym parents have told me that he sees potential in me)

However, it seems like he ignores me a lot of the time. I've been sparring with a girl, let's call her Brenda (yup I'm a girl) he seems to only tell her advice during our past few sparring sessions and only compliments her when she lands combos on me. Mind you she has 2-3 years more experience than me.

He would tell her "hit her in the f-cking face!" and he treats me like I am his opponent! She was actually starting to hurt me. It was strange... He seems to act like an a-hole towards me at times. Is he trying to test me? Does he think she's the better fighter or something? Not understanding what he is trying to accomplish. What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

***I will report all inappropriate and sexual harassment comments. Thank you.
    Is she an amateur in competition or planning to turn pro? Maybe of some relation to him or one of his friends?

Comment

I've heard of all sorts of weird sh^t in gyms with trainers so who knows for sure if he doesn't like you or if he's testing you or doing something else altogether.

I wouldn't worry about any of that. If you like what you are learning there f#ck all the other stuff. If you feel his approach is a deal breaker for you w/e you are learning then leave. Your own level of comfort doing something like boxing is the thing I'd put before all else cuz if you aren't liking something going on now there is no reason to believe there won't be more things like that down the road & the stakes could be higher.

I'd find like minded people to work with in particular at this earlier time in learning to box when maybe your comfort with this can be steered more positive or negative over smaller things.

Good luck either way.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Is she an amateur in competition or planning to turn pro? Maybe of some relation to him or one of his friends?
        We are both training for amateur fights. We both have yet to have one in the book. Not sure why she has waited for so long since she's been training for a few years... but she came into the gym a few months before I have. Not sure the logic behind my coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I've heard of all sorts of weird sh^t in gyms with trainers so who knows for sure if he doesn't like you or if he's testing you or doing something else altogether.

I wouldn't worry about any of that. If you like what you are learning there f#ck all the other stuff. If you feel his approach is a deal breaker for you w/e you are learning then leave. Your own level of comfort doing something like boxing is the thing I'd put before all else cuz if you aren't liking something going on now there is no reason to believe there won't be more things like that down the road & the stakes could be higher.

I'd find like minded people to work with in particular at this earlier time in learning to box when maybe your comfort with this can be steered more positive or negative over smaller things.

Good luck either way.
          Very true. In the end, I have to weigh in the pros and the cons. I'm have been getting a lot of action in the ring whereas I haven't in other gyms. So it is worth it for me to stay as of right now. I'm still getting to know my coach's personality and coaching style. He has told me that "I was too nice". Maybe he's being an a-hole to break me? I have no idea.

Comment

Let me tell you one thing right now- the vast majority of boxing coaches are not mentally stable people. I've seen and dealt with this kind of **** from several coaches over a number of years.

I have no idea what it is, but boxing coaches tend to be crazy, emotional, insecure people.

Comment

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
              We are both training for amateur fights. We both have yet to have one in the book. Not sure why she has waited for so long since she's been training for a few years... but she came into the gym a few months before I have. Not sure the logic behind my coach.
              Don't mind, just show what you got, train hard, and outbox that girl.

You gotta best that girl, do it for you, you gotta be the best in the gym, you will win confidence for you first fights, boxing ain't no joke, there is no room for thinking about what's going on around (if the trainer, public, gym mates like me), the truth is between the ropes.

Train harder, train smart, be defensive, accurate, outbox that btch lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
                Let me tell you one thing right now- the vast majority of boxing coaches are not mentally stable people. I've seen and dealt with this kind of **** from several coaches over a number of years.

I have no idea what it is, but boxing coaches tend to be crazy, emotional, insecure people.
                haha, dunno why but this made me laugh a lot. there are some real salt-of-the-earth trainers out there with hearts of gold but yes, i think you may be correct, the vast majority are probably quite unwell in the head

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post

A lot of that might be trauma from brain injuries caused by boxing. Severe brain injuries changes brain chemistry, even personality. Emotions could become unstable and you just act crazier.

Jermaine Taylor being a recent example.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                    A lot of that might be trauma from brain injuries caused by boxing. Severe brain injuries changes brain chemistry, even personality. Emotions could become unstable and you just act crazier.

Jermaine Taylor being a recent example.
                    One thing I notice is that a lot of coaches are out of shape, which surprising considering how many fighters they train.

Comment

Working...
                    X