No announcement yet.

Technical review of Wlad-Joshua

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical review of Wlad-Joshua

I just rewatched the fight for some reason. Overall, I was surprised with how well prepared technically Joshua was for the fight. Secondly, I was surprised at how basic some of Wlad's mistakes were.

Here is what Joshua did that impressed me.
    1. He almost completely negated Wlad's short lead left hook. He got clipped two or 3 times by it in the 5th and got hurt, but he was making Wlad miss that punch all night.
    2. He was able to shoot long right hands at a high angle that was difficult for Wlad to parry with his Euro style. Wlad was struggling desperately to get away from that right hand all night, and while Joshua did his most serious damage with left hooks and an uppercut, this disrupted Wlad effectively.

Here is what surprised me about Wlad.
    1. He was generally terrible on the inside. He did not clinch effectively and often had his guard way too low when in close. His hands were inexplicably at his side when got clipped with hard left hooks in the 5th round. His inability to clinch or neutralize Joshua in close also caused him to eat a massive uppercut and a series of left hooks that had him out on his feet for much of the 11th round. He typically is able to use his size and parrying to neutralize opponents in close, but he was unable to in this fight.
    2. His inability to deal with Joshua's right hand. As mentioned, Joshua was throwing in such a way that he was able to overshoot Wlad's parry. Wlad did not seem to know what to do, and would desperately retreat backwards ineffectually.

I think that Wlad overall was outboxing Joshua more and more as the fight went on. However, he was utterly unable to deal with Joshua in close, and simply could not neutralize Joshua's right hand. While he had the edge, the weaknesses he did show proved fatal against Joshua's speed, size and power in this fight. Joshua seemed to be as prepared as he could be for Wlad on a technical level.

I think if Wlad can work on some alternate ways to neutralize Joshua's right hand (such as circling away), and keeps his guard up/holds more effectively inside, he should be able to beat Joshua in a rematch.

Very good analysis. Klitschko lacks any kind of inside game apart from clinching.

I disagree with your final conclusion, though.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 05-04-2017, 12:30 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Very good analysis. Pistachio lacks any kind of inside game apart from clinching.

I disagree with your final conclusion, though.
      Well, I thought Wlad was quite effective save for those two glaring problems. I may overestimate his ability to tweak that effectively at this point in his career though.

Comment

I doubt he wins a rematch. He will only be older and he is already very old for a boxer now. AJ will still be young but with the added experience and confidence of winning the first fight with Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          I doubt he wins a rematch. He will only be older and he is already very old for a boxer now. AJ will still be young but with the added experience and confidence of winning the first fight with Wlad.
          I agree that Joshua will have the confidence and added inexperience, weighed against Wlad's age. In terms of technical adjustments, I favor Wlad. In reality, it is more complicated though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
            I just rewatched the fight for some reason. Overall, I was surprised with how well prepared technically Joshua was for the fight. Secondly, I was surprised at how basic some of Wlad's mistakes were.

Here is what Joshua did that impressed me.
            1. He almost completely negated Wlad's short lead left hook. He got clipped two or 3 times by it in the 5th and got hurt, but he was making Wlad miss that punch all night.
            2. He was able to shoot long right hands at a high angle that was difficult for Wlad to parry with his Euro style. Wlad was struggling desperately to get away from that right hand all night, and while Joshua did his most serious damage with left hooks and an uppercut, this disrupted Wlad effectively.

Here is what surprised me about Wlad.
            1. He was generally terrible on the inside. He did not clinch effectively and often had his guard way too low when in close. His hands were inexplicably at his side when got clipped with hard left hooks in the 5th round. His inability to clinch or neutralize Joshua in close also caused him to eat a massive uppercut and a series of left hooks that had him out on his feet for much of the 11th round. He typically is able to use his size and parrying to neutralize opponents in close, but he was unable to in this fight.
            2. His inability to deal with Joshua's right hand. As mentioned, Joshua was throwing in such a way that he was able to overshoot Wlad's parry. Wlad did not seem to know what to do, and would desperately retreat backwards ineffectually.

I think that Wlad overall was outboxing Joshua more and more as the fight went on. However, he was utterly unable to deal with Joshua in close, and simply could not neutralize Joshua's right hand. While he had the edge, the weaknesses he did show proved fatal against Joshua's speed, size and power in this fight. Joshua seemed to be as prepared as he could be for Wlad on a technical level.

I think if Wlad can work on some alternate ways to neutralize Joshua's right hand (such as circling away), and keeps his guard up/holds more effectively inside, he should be able to beat Joshua in a rematch.
            His euro bum style

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              His euro bum style
              Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Nice breakdown. AJ's ability to keep fighting and punching when he had Wlad hurt was a huge plus. Wlad is normally able to clinch his way out of trouble, but fighting someone as strong and tenacious as Joshua he couldnt.

One thing i wouldnt necessarily agree with is the success of AJ's right hand. I thought for much of the fight Klit was able to turn his shoulder, retreat and make the punch miss or at least take most of the sting off it. AJ was trying to get over the lead shoulder by looping the right but it ended up being kind of sloppy. IMO he should have been focussing on straightening the punch up and catching Wlad before he can get into that defensive posture.

It wasnt until the the finishing moments of the fight that we saw AJ land a real crisp straight right to the chin, and that was when Wlad was very hurt and tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  Nice breakdown. AJ's ability to keep fighting and punching when he had Wlad hurt was a huge plus. Wlad is normally able to clinch his way out of trouble, but fighting someone as strong and tenacious as Joshua he couldnt.

One thing i wouldnt necessarily agree with is the success of AJ's right hand. I thought for much of the fight Klit was able to turn his shoulder, retreat and make the punch miss or at least take most of the sting off it. AJ was trying to get over the lead shoulder by looping the right but it ended up being kind of sloppy. IMO he should have been focussing on straightening the punch up and catching Wlad before he can get into that defensive posture.

It wasnt until the the finishing moments of the fight that we saw AJ land a real crisp straight right to the chin, and that was when Wlad was very hurt and tired.
                  Fair point.

To clarify my point: I agree that Joshua did not do damage with the right until the end of the fight, but it did indirect damage by repeatedly breaking Wlad's guard and upsetting his poise. It helped Joshua prevent Wlad from establishing control.

Comment

Working...
                  X