Rocky Marciano talks Clay, Patterson and fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Marciano talks Clay, Patterson and fights

excellent interview
    shows the viewpoint of the boxing estabishment at that period of time.
    It was great to hear that rocky thought about a comeback but did not atempt it.

Comment

Interesting interview, but did he really say that Sonny Liston was not that good an opponent for Ali? WTF, that was probably the first real test for Ali. He probably said that because Ali was that much faster and moved so well and made it look easy, but still WTH. The view of the boxing establishment indeed. I wouldn't be surprised at people thinking at the time that he was "bad for boxing." If this was after the Liston fights, they should have shown some respect and called him Ali instead of Clay.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Interesting interview, but did he really say that Sonny Liston was not that good an opponent for Ali? WTF, that was probably the first real test for Ali. He probably said that because Ali was that much faster and moved so well and made it look easy, but still WTH. The view of the boxing establishment indeed. I wouldn't be surprised at people thinking at the time that he was "bad for boxing." If this was after the Liston fights, they should have shown some respect and called him Ali instead of Clay.
        He might have been aware of Liston's sporadic behavior.

and just for this, Ali talking about Marciano.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg
        Last edited by GeneralZod; 05-18-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I used to really like Marciano on "The Main Event". Rocky followed boxing very closely after he retired. As the host of the show and commentator for live bouts.

Comment

At that time a lot of people felt the fight was thrown...Marciano seemed to be indicating that he felt the fight was nonconclusive. He said it was because of the length but it would not have been unnatural for Marciano to say this diplomatically to point out this sentiment (that the fight was thrown).

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              I used to really like Marciano on "The Main Event". Rocky followed boxing very closely after he retired. As the host of the show and commentator for live bouts.
              Marciano appears to me to be, at the time he was around, as one of the more approachable people in the sport. I mean he looks like he could do the things he did in the ring yet hes sort of a gentle soul... I hesitate to call boxers warriors automatically but this guy walked the walk.
              Last edited by billeau2; 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                At that time a lot of people felt the fight was thrown...Marciano seemed to be indicating that he felt the fight was nonconclusive. He said it was because of the length but it would not have been unnatural for Marciano to say this diplomatically to point out this sentiment (that the fight was thrown).
                Yeah maybe the second fight, but what about the first one, where Ali pretty much beat Sonny into submission.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
                  He might have been aware of Liston's sporadic behavior.

and just for this, Ali talking about Marciano.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg
                  I also remember a quote on another episode of Ringside where Ali said he believed Robinson was the pound for pound greatest. Ever see that one?

Comment

I also remember a quote on another episode of Ringside where Ali said he believed Robinson was the pound for pound greatest. Ever see that one?
                    can't say i have

Comment

Working...
                    X