No announcement yet.

New to everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to everything

Hey everyone I am 15 and am interested in boxing.
    So my Dad is was a boxer and got all the way up in the league before
    you go pro. So i want to follow in his footsteps. What are some things i
    should do to get started. I've started running, and eating healthy. I want to start now so i can start sparring in however long it takes me to get to that point. Please note, I am still in High School so there are committments there.
    So basically the question is: What can I do to become a boxer? Where should I start, What kind of excercising should I be doing, and What kind of diet should I try?

Thanks

Originally posted by Rook-ee View Post
    Hey everyone I am 15 and am interested in boxing.
    So my Dad is was a boxer and got all the way up in the league before
    you go pro. So i want to follow in his footsteps. What are some things i
    should do to get started. I've started running, and eating healthy. I want to start now so i can start sparring in however long it takes me to get to that point. Please note, I am still in High School so there are committments there.
    So basically the question is: What can I do to become a boxer? Where should I start, What kind of excercising should I be doing, and What kind of diet should I try?

Thanks
    you should probably be asking this to your dad who was a boxer and would drive you/pay for gym. All I could tell you is dont waste your time in forums and just go to a gym, find out if that's what you really want and go from there.

Comment

I agree with the guy above, just get in there. If you're young and of moderate health just get stuck in and fitness, strength etc. will be topped up while you're there. Boxing is one of those sports you feel you need to "prepare" for because it is intimidating but so long as you can drag your ass through the first few sessions you'll be ok because from then on even if it's not easier, you kind of don't care as much. Eventually your mind frame changes, so being exhausted and tired connects with training.

Find a decent gym by you and get stuck in.

Forums like this are a good way to ask general boxing questions to a mass of boxers, things you've been feeling etc. You'll get good responses but also remember that I don't think there's any other sport that people pretend they do, or claim they do from for some remote reason. I've met people who box, turns out what they really mean is they've been to one or two sessions, or have a punch bag in the garage and don't attend a boxing gym. One guy I was speaking to at a house party was telling me how the sport he does makes it hard to make friends, being a fighting sport. And went on to say it's hard to make friends you know, in "his" sport - boxing. I thought the guy was told I boxed by a friend and was taking the piss out of me because I knew this guy didn't box, I hadn't seen him anywhere. Turns out he did ONE session over a YEAR ago hahaha. So be weary about asking masked faces about boxing, this forum or any other should never-ever take precedence over what your coach says. Not because the advice might not be possibly better, but just for the simple fact you don't know who the hell is telling it you.
      Last edited by JayCoe; 10-01-2009, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X