Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Olympic success/ participation have any bearing on success as a pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Olympic success/ participation have any bearing on success as a pro?

To try and stimulate some sort of debate i was wondering if gold medalists go on to always be the best fighters, or have bronze and silver medalists been more successful in making the transition as a pro?

I mean Ali and Tyson have gold medals, but then again so does Audley Harrison.

Floyd only got bronze I believe, Froch didnt get through the trials but won a medal at the world championships.

Is it a good foundation to become a pro? Or does that only apply to certain fighters?

Yes because it opens doors , its an insight into your pro potential in both ability and marketability , it really is a GOLD medal .

Comment

Of course. Olympics gives you an opportunity to fight world class boxers.

Comment

Only a minority of olympic medalists end up becoming worldclass boxers. Look at Ring Magazine's top 10 P4P, only 3 of them won an olympic medal.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
          To try and stimulate some sort of debate i was wondering if gold medalists go on to always be the best fighters, or have bronze and silver medalists been more successful in making the transition as a pro?

Floyd only got bronze I believe, Froch didnt get through the trials but won a medal at the world championships.

Is it a good foundation to become a pro? Or does that only apply to certain fighters?
          It only applies to certain fighters, some are never able to make a full, successful transition to the pro ranks. Two examples stand out...Mark Breland, who was one of the greatest amateur fighters ever had success as a pro, but not near what was predicted for him. The other is Howard Davis who not only won gold at the 1976 Olympics but was named the most outstanding boxer over future ATG's Micheal Spinks and Sugar Ray Leonard. For any fighter though its a good foundation to becoming a pro. You simply can't find any stiffer competition in the amateur ranks.

Comment

Olympic success isn't necessarily needed to have great success as a Pro, but it most certainly helps.

Comment

It gives you plenty of success but it doesn't always mean you will be an ATG or the GOAT.

Two very different games as Audley Harrison found out. Very different for others such as Ali, Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko found out.

Did Tyson win Gold? I thought it was Youth Gold? Either way he would have won a Gold in the proper Olympics IMO.

Comment

Tyson won gold? Guess you learn something made up I mean new every day.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
                  Tyson doesn't have a gold medal. He never even made it to the Olympics.

Comment

I don't think it means that much it's down to whether you have the style for the pros or not and how well they adapt there style once they turn over . Out of all the gold winners this year I bet only a few will do reach world level as a pro

Comment

Working...
                    X