No announcement yet.

My Top 3 on who's gonna beat Keith Thurman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
    Nobodies ducking Thurman. He just can't get the type of fights he wants right now because Showtime isn't ready to back him fully in terms of dollars. They are still trying to build him up on the cheap. And when he's ready his opponents will start getting offers too good to turn down. You throw contenders some cheesy offer of course it's gonna get turned down.
    Exactly. I'm tired of hearing about that. A lot of established guys have been fighting each other at 140-147 for years. Thurman can wait his turn.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      Garcia isnt amongst the elite yet but he is near top 10. He is the champion of the 140lb division and beat two of the best fighters at that weight. He deserves more credit than you are taking away from him

Porter has one quality win on his resume. He hasn't faced enough competition to definitively say he is going to mash Paulie and dominate Maidana. There is more to this than just being strong. Paulie has one of the best chins in boxing and Maidana has faced better fighters with varing styles.

I like Thurman a lot but he has to face some real challenges before I can get to excited. He may be the real deal but so far he hasnt proven it against real comp.
      I don't just look at fighters' resumes and think 'oh he's got a couple of good wins', I actually watch fights and judge based on how they go. Just because Danny's got a couple of good wins on his resume, it doesn't mean I'm gonna ignore his massive flaws and limitations. The guy is very limited and not a naturally gifted boxer, his physical qualities are what stand out about him. He's got no footwork, doesn't move his head, he's slow etc.

You can give him as much credit as you feel he deserves, I'll do the same if that's alright with you?

Again, you're judging solely based on resume. Have you not got an eye for talent? Porter was an outstanding amateur and I've seen him fight a quite a bit, he impresses me. He will beat Pauli up and prove me right...I'll give you a shout when it happens if I can remember your display name

I didn't say he'd dominate Maidana, I said he'd win a UD.

Comment

One of the things about Thurman's record is that he has Zaveck, a former welterweight world champion and Diego Chaves on there. For one thing, they are genuine welters, not blown up JWWs. These guys are overlooked because they are not 'name' opponents, but they are much better than perceived, it's just they're just not from the west. Soto Karass is not that good but people rate him higher than others on Thurman's record because they've seen more of him which I don't think it necessarily justified.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          One of the things about Thurman's record is that he has Zaveck, a former welterweight world champion and Diego Chaves on there. For one thing, they are genuine welters, not blown up JWWs. These guys are overlooked because they are not 'name' opponents, but they are much better than perceived, it's just they're just not from the west.

Soto Karass is not that good but people rate him higher because they've seen more of him which I don't think it necessarily justified.
          Completely agree mate.

Comment

maidana wont beat thurman because thurman is waaayyy too big for him. Maidana is a small welter meanwhile thruman is huge. I dont think Garcia beats him either. Only WW to beat Thurman are mayweather, pacquiao and bradley, maybe porter but he needs to be tested more

Comment

It's a myth that Thurman is a big WW, he's bigger than most other WWs because they've all moved up from 140 or lower. Thurman is just your average sized WW. He's weighed in at 145, 146 and 145 in his last 3 fights, he makes weight easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
                I don't just look at fighters' resumes and think 'oh he's got a couple of good wins', I actually watch fights and judge based on how they go. Just because Danny's got a couple of good wins on his resume, it doesn't mean I'm gonna ignore his massive flaws and limitations. The guy is very limited and not a naturally gifted boxer, his physical qualities are what stand out about him. He's got no footwork, doesn't move his head, he's slow etc.

You can give him as much credit as you feel he deserves, I'll do the same if that's alright with you?

Again, you're judging solely based on resume. Have you not got an eye for talent? Porter was an outstanding amateur and I've seen him fight a quite a bit, he impresses me. He will beat Pauli up and prove me right...I'll give you a shout when it happens if I can remember your display name

Unfortunately for me, I have watched Porter fight 5 times and have never been impressed.

I watched him steal a draw in the first Diaz fight. Struggle big time vs Alfonso Gomez and get hit way too much by LoGreco, who was slower than old people driving. He looked just awful on ESPN in that 3D fight too vs a stiff.

He looked okay vs Devon the Dancer.

Write it down, Paulie will school this kid.

Comment

One of the things about Thurman's record is that he has Zaveck, a former welterweight world champion and Diego Chaves on there. For one thing, they are genuine welters, not blown up JWWs. These guys are overlooked because they are not 'name' opponents, but they are much better than perceived, it's just they're just not from the west. Soto Karass is not that good but people rate him higher than others on Thurman's record because they've seen more of him which I don't think it necessarily justified.
                  Man, Zaveck was a titlist, not a champion, and he was that for about 5 minutes. Lets not make him something he is not.

"genuine" welters? c'mon man, stop adding ketchup to stale food. genuine welter doesnt mean a good one.

There is nothing wrong with calling thurman exactly what he is = an up and comer with a crowd pleasing style who has fought medicore opposition and is ready to step up. Why is that such a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post

How exactly am I judging "solely" on resume? Regardless, WHO you fight means everything. I would think that is something we could all agree on. Porter may look like a "bull" against lesser fighters, but how will he look against stiffer comp? Devon was a step in the right direction but I dont care how good a guy looks if its against a cab driver. What matters is how you look vs a real fighter. Broner is the most recent example of that in a list a mile long and decades old.

Comment

Brilliant post, weebler.

Comment

Working...
                      X