No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Floyd Mayweather Jr. is Back in Superfight Driver’s Seat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtiger777 View Post
    if i usually got $8-15 mil per regular fight and was offered 40mil after i stated id take less of the purse then id take it but i would want some of that ppv money pac does at least deserve a percentage of the ppv, but floyd and arum have some issues, arum owes floyd money, they have a lawsuite against him also.. Im sure all these things play a part in it all!
    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7...-espn-magazine

Your numbers don't add up. You're also comparing apples to oranges: $40m is pre Arum's cut. After Arum's 27%, Pac walks aways with a 15% boost over his Marquez or Mosley purse, at best.

Comment

I see some still complaining about the testing Floyd asked for. After Peterson came back Positive are we really going to doubt that ALL need to be tested.

Manny should accept the 60/40 and go on his way.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post

Your numbers don't add up. You're also comparing apples to oranges: $40m is pre Arum's cut. After Arum's 27%, Pac walks aways with a 15% boost over his Marquez or Mosley purse, at best.
        thats why floyd is trying to do business with him away from arum man.. pac got a guaranteed 13 mil for cotto and a guaranteed $22mil for marquez and 20 mil for mosley, so he will still come out with more than he usually does so ur right he does get more than i posted. i think floyd is urging pac to leave arum maybe? yeah i forget arum gets a cut so damn... well if i was pac id rid myself of arum and that would kill all the problems, the fight promotes itself.... but that will never happen

Comment

Originally posted by coolka View Post
          Below is the list of Cotto's weight prior to his Pacquiao bout:

2008-07-26 147 Antonio Margarito 147
          2009-02-21 147 Michael Jennings 146½
          2009-06-13 146 Joshua Clottey 147
          2009-11-14 145 Manny Pacquiao 145

Pacquiao on the other hand came from a 140lb weight cat. after he demolished Ricky Hatton before facing Cotto. Hope your rusty brain would understand these facts. Weight drain? You kidding me!
          Pacquiao got his ear drum busted by a Cotto at 145. Could only imagine what would happen to him at 154..... Hold up! It ain't happening because Pac didn't want it with Cotto at 154 after he beat him down at 145.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
            I see some still complaining about the testing Floyd asked for. After Peterson came back Positive are we really going to doubt that ALL need to be tested.

Manny should accept the 60/40 and go on his way.
            That's plain and simple common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jtiger777 View Post
              thats why floyd is trying to do business with him away from arum man.. pac got a guaranteed 13 mil for cotto and a guaranteed $22mil for marquez and 20 mil for mosley, so he will still come out with more than he usually does so ur right he does get more than i posted. i think floyd is urging pac to leave arum maybe? yeah i forget arum gets a cut so damn... well if i was pac id rid myself of arum and that would kill all the problems, the fight promotes itself.... but that will never happen
              Arum is so far into Pac's business that he is getting money from everything and Pac is getting screwed.

Comment

Great article.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post

These guys really don't know what they're talking about. Maybe I don't either, but my understanding is that Pacquiao's low guarantees are just the amounts that are presented to the Commission as being paid to him on the night of the fight. It's something to do with making sure the fighter is being paid-for his protection. They bear absolutely no resemblance to the total amount he'll finish up with. He has all kinds of different streams coming in. Also, the most important part, he gets about 80-82.5% of the PPV that comes to Top Rank. The promoter only gets a small amount, by comparison.

It was all properly laid out in print about a year or more ago.

With all the fuss and bother and consuming interest, over and over, every single damned time, about how much and what percentages everybody gets paid. I don't know why some of the writers, who MUST know the way the overall habitual deals work, don't put these poor dumbos out of their miseries, and spell it out.....again.

Comment

Superfight seat how???? the guy never figts anyone to constitute a "superfight" more like superduck fightt drivers seat. Mayweather looked very vulnerable aginst cotto and took a pounding, from a guy he was supposed to Gatti, hell even I thought and said that, My how things change from one fight to the next. and hes going to do what he alwyas does evede the most dangerous fighters or retire again, I have a feeling this idiot is going to retire blow his wad then comeback and get koed repeatedley just like roy jones, he certainley isnt going to be hired as a speaker once he retires nobody can stand that guy.......The writer of this article is deranged....

Comment

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
                      Pacquiao got his ear drum busted by a Cotto at 145. Could only imagine what would happen to him at 154..... Hold up! It ain't happening because Pac didn't want it with Cotto at 154 after he beat him down at 145.
                      Grustler--Pacquiao killed Cotto at 145. Killed him. Not sure what basis you have that it would have been any different at 154. Cotto is not a big guy. He's 5'7" with a 67" reach. Pacquaio is almost the same size; Floyd is bigger. He isn't antonio margarito or sergio martinez (good sized junior middles) who with an extra seven pounds coming up from 147 really fill out their frame (although Margarito has never had success at 154--that's why he always came back down to 147). For Cotto to gain weight, he loses speed which is kryptonite against Pacquiao. An argument can be made that 154 would be a worse weight for him to fight Pacquiao at.

Moreover, I haven't seen where Cotto's power has really translated to 154--it is really hard to tell given who he has faced and the results. Clearly, Cotto's power was nowhere near the same at 154 as it was at 140. In fact, I think it is pretty clear that Shane Mosley has more power at both 147 and 154 than Cotto. Not sure what Pacquaio would have to fear at 154 from Cotto.

Let's look at who he fought:

Featherfisted Yuri Foreman who happened to have a torn ACL. when Yuri couldn't run (he came in wearing a heavy brace), he got beaten down and TKO'd in the 9th. Having seen this fight live and up close this was a pathetic fight. Cotto didn't look particularly powerful; rather, a guy who's whole game is based upon movement couldn't move. Once he really screwed himself leg-wise in the 7th, this fight was over.

Ricardo Mayorga--a guy that was retired for essentially 2 1/2 years. Who's last fight of substance was him getting KO'd by one punch in the 12th against a shot Mosley (Mosley, my favorite fighter, was clearly shot at this time--he struggled mightily with Mayorga). Cotto didn't show particular power in this fight. In fact, this fight was way more competitive than it had any right being. His KO of Mayorga was more of a quit by Mayorga. By the way, as mentioned above, at 154, Mosley one punch KO'd Mayorga. Translate this to the weight class: Mosley couldn't even faze a real junior middle (Alvarez) despite landing some very big punches on him. So if Mosley KO'd Mayorga with one shot at 154, it is clear Mayorga's chin is nowhere near what it used to be at 147.

Margarito--Margarito. Really? Need I say anymore. This fight was stopped because of swelling to the eye Pacquiao permanent injured. He was never hurt or even slowed down by Cotto. then again, Cotto never hurt him at 147 either. Again, Mosley hurt Margarito repeatedly despite weighing in at 145 3/4 for this fight, before KO'ing him.

Based upon common opposition, it seems Mosley hits harder than Cotto at both 147 and 154. We now Mosley had real power at 147, but it never really translated to 154 as evidenced by his lack of any power against Alvarez saturday night). Hence, it is fair to say Cotto's power at 154 is not elite like it was at 140.

Comment

Working...
                      X