No announcement yet.

Two punch attack put man in Coma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two punch attack put man in Coma

This incident is a news story about in the UK. The victim a 49-year-old man suffered a brain bleed and was in a coma after the attack by a 30-year-old man. Today, the long-term effects the attack mean the victim has weakness down one-side of his body and the emotional effects of the injuries have changed his life and the assailant has been jailed for 22 months.

There is a lot of media attention over here about the potential effects of one punch as a result of late night punch-ups and that impact that happens when the skull lands on the pavement. And there have been publicised deaths in the past from similar incidents and often times the person who has delivered the punch has gotten off if punches were thrown on both sides.

But are there mitigating circumstances here too? Both men are drunk - it occurs near on 3 in the morning. The victim gets in younger man's face and goes nose-to-nose but doesn't throw a punch. Common sense says that in that scenario more often than not someone is going to get clump. A sensible man in control of his emotions might have pushed the elder man away but the first punch is probably defendable. It is the second one that isn't for me as the elder man was a sitting duck and I think he actually sticks his arm out in pleading way.

I find stuff like this really sad but it is not like the elder man was sucker punched. The younger guy probably is a bad egg though as he has had three arrests for violent crime in the past.

But I think most people understand two things 1. if you go nose-to-nose with someone you might get punched and 2. if you are punching someone on the street especially someone who is inebriated that you could cause them serious harm.

Stuff like this is bad for all families involved. And often times these things occur between two men (usually young lads) with no previous record of violent crime or anything.

What do you reckon?

invasion of ones personal space. the kid was literally backed against a wall. he did what most of us would. shame he got any jail time. sometimes a guy loses a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
      But I think most people understand two things 1. if you go nose-to-nose with someone you might get punched and 2. if you are punching someone on the street especially someone who is inebriated that you could cause them serious harm.
      Yeah, I think the older guy was more out of line. Never get that close to someone unless you want to get physical. Unfortunately for him, he was the one who got punched and has long term damage so people will naturally sympathize with him.

If the young guy, didn't throw the first punch, he might have been the one with the bad injuries. We don't know what might have happened if he didn't throw those punches, but what he did what instinctual. Even small animals are hardwired to fight back when cornered like that.

Comment

If you are nearly 50 and still going out drunk in public trying to start shit, then this type of thing has a pretty high probability of happening.

Walking around with a chip on your shoulder all the time, someone's bound to knock it the fuck right off. And that's at your physical peak. Forget it at nearly 50 years of age.

It's sometimes better just to walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
          invasion of ones personal space. the kid was literally backed against a wall. he did what most of us would. shame he got any jail time. sometimes a guy loses a fight.
          I think that is about right about the first punch. But the second punch I think only a certain type of dude would go for it - namely a bit of a nutcase. The older man was like Bambi on Ice at that stage. I think jail time for that is justified. It is hard one though and I can see why people would disagree with me.

Comment

thats phucked up!! not sure what was said between the 2 but from the looks of it, the old man wasnt the one that threw the first punch. so that younger guy should be doing more than just 22 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
              If you are nearly 50 and still going out drunk in public trying to start shit, then this type of thing has a pretty high probability of happening.

Walking around with a chip on your shoulder all the time, someone's bound to knock it the fuck right off. And that's at your physical peak. Forget it at nearly 50 years of age.

It's sometimes better just to walk away.
              how do we know the old man was the one starting ***** though?

Comment

I think that is about right about the first punch. But the second punch I think only a certain type of dude would go for it - namely a bit of a nutcase. The older man was like Bambi on Ice at that stage. I think jail time for that is justified. It is hard one though and I can see why people would disagree with me.
                still doesnt give him the right to swing on ol'man. i can understand if the older dude was being aggressive but from the video it doesnt look like he was.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
                  still doesnt give him the right to swing on ol'man. i can understand if the older dude was being aggressive but from the video it doesnt look like he was.
                  To me it does. He literally backs him against a wall and goes nose-to-nose.

I personally wouldn't do that, well, probably ever. But if I did I know there is a big probability that I'll get punched for my troubles. Poor judgement on his part.

Comment

punches like that, and worse, land in every fight. they are street fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X