Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ducking & Cherrypicking the IN THING now in American Boxing culture?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
    We all know the more famous fighters who were accused of ducking and cherry picking (mayweather), and without rehashing the merits of it, at least those guys defended themselves against critics to an extent.

But it's like the New Crop of Fighters have taken the Ducking/cherrypicking/being a smart businessman thing and made it fashionable. Like they're not even denying it and are unashamedly boasting about it. Deonte Wilder is the prime example of it. But there are others.

This is not a Eastern-European phenomenon (despite criticism leveled at GGG, which is anecdotal. Eastern Euro's have no concept of fake trash talking to sell tickets OR being a calculated businessman cherrypicker.). This is the in-thing in Western culture, predominantly the U.S. -- Carl Froch also displayed it with regards to facing Andre Ward. But individual cases are not as important as the overall culture.

We all know that in fake Wrestling (a western creation) like the WWE, they have a thing called a "heel" who is usually a cowardly bad guy character who cheats and avoids one-on-one confrontations with the Good guy character. The heel is usually very cocky and arrogant and boasts about his cheating and cowardly ways.

We now have Rap songs dedicated to how cool it is to duck fights and make "smart calculated decisions" as if part of the world wide Money Team. It's being popularized in Urban culture like sagging beltless pants and cornrows. The traditional machismo culture found in ethnic boxing circles (i.e. Mexican & puerto rican fighting culture) is also being poisoned & infiltrated by these western ideas, as seen by businessman Miguel Cotto - who in his last few fights referred to himself as the "A-side" during difficult negotiations while publicly acknowledging that he is ducking the biggest challenge in the division he was campaigning in. We had Jacobs and Quillin publicly acknowledging their ducking of GGG. We have Money Stevenson who thought he was signing a Mayweather-esque Showtime contract that is worth millions.

We also have active defenders on this forum of the ducking & cherrypicking business formula, who are most likely criminal degenerates. The types who would shoot you in the back before mugging you (as happened to the great Vernon Forrest).

Yes its fashionable and now even the fans of these fighters will defend the guys for doing it, these fans are nothing more than trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
      That's one way to look at it. But it's deeper than that.

A fighter has 2-3 "major" fights over the course of a 35-40 fight career. Those 2-3 fights are expensive, need to be built and promoted properly and occur at the right time where it maximizes value. Those 2-3 fights won't happen in succession because then fans will lose interest in the rest of those fighters career.

Instead, the fighters make low risk/high reward paydays in between those 2-3 fights to lengthen their careers and earning potential.
      Nice try but these guys are getting huge paydays for fighting mismatches so there's no need to fight the best fights. Its all about them avoiding challenges and taking the easiest road possible while still claiming to be something special.

Comment

Definitely.

Comment

You're a guy with an IQ of 58 who would have been a lifelong fry cook and we pay you a million dollars to work 2 days a year. Seeing you left with nothing is kind of the appropriate ending.

I think that was the real difference in the "old days". People recognized the privileged situation a top fighter/champion is in compared to his other career prospects and kept him on a short leash.

Yeah it's always been corrupt and yeah bum fights have always happened, but diehard gay fanboys and reality tv series and whatnot didn't exist.

You have guys on here who get very teary-eyed and personally attached to these fighters and even neglect their lives fantasizing about being them. Those are the customers who will dutifully tune in to watch them fight Berto and Salka.

When I see people leap to the defense of blahblahs wise career decision I definitely feel as though I'm interacting with a desperate closet ****sexual. What other motivation would there be? Teetering ****sexuals cause many "odd" aspects of modern culture. Next time you have a WTF moment about society try tracing it to ****s. Remember all of their emotions are inverted and being stabbed up the butt feels good to them, etc.

You could never in a million years convince me Larryxxx is a straight man. Or that guy with the Cotto taking his pants off avatar. I wish it was still the crusades and these guys were being burned alive. Real angering to realize this forum is clogged with **** militants.
          Last edited by ////; 01-03-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
            Peterson started a little slow but ended up beating Danny to a pulp and making him look amateurish for the second half of the fight.
            Sounds like 2 losses to me. What a resume.

Comment

We all know the more famous fighters who were accused of ducking and cherry picking (mayweather), and without rehashing the merits of it, at least those guys defended themselves against critics to an extent.

But it's like the New Crop of Fighters have taken the Ducking/cherrypicking/being a smart businessman thing and made it fashionable. Like they're not even denying it and are unashamedly boasting about it. Deonte Wilder is the prime example of it. But there are others.

This is not a Eastern-European phenomenon (despite criticism leveled at GGG, which is anecdotal. Eastern Euro's have no concept of fake trash talking to sell tickets OR being a calculated businessman cherrypicker.). This is the in-thing in Western culture, predominantly the U.S. -- Carl Froch also displayed it with regards to facing Andre Ward. But individual cases are not as important as the overall culture.

We all know that in fake Wrestling (a western creation) like the WWE, they have a thing called a "heel" who is usually a cowardly bad guy character who cheats and avoids one-on-one confrontations with the Good guy character. The heel is usually very cocky and arrogant and boasts about his cheating and cowardly ways.

We now have Rap songs dedicated to how cool it is to duck fights and make "smart calculated decisions" as if part of the world wide Money Team. It's being popularized in Urban culture like sagging beltless pants and cornrows. The traditional machismo culture found in ethnic boxing circles (i.e. Mexican & puerto rican fighting culture) is also being poisoned & infiltrated by these western ideas, as seen by businessman Miguel Cotto - who in his last few fights referred to himself as the "A-side" during difficult negotiations while publicly acknowledging that he is ducking the biggest challenge in the division he was campaigning in. We had Jacobs and Quillin publicly acknowledging their ducking of GGG. We have Money Stevenson who thought he was signing a Mayweather-esque Showtime contract that is worth millions.

We also have active defenders on this forum of the ducking & cherrypicking business formula, who are most likely criminal degenerates. The types who would shoot you in the back before mugging you (as happened to the great Vernon Forrest).

I was with you all the way up until you mentioned Jacobs ducking GGG.

This is what I'm talking about. You guys say EVERYBODY is ducking GGG, but he has fights available to him that his team either don't sign off on or initiate.

But back to the matter at hand, how in the world did Jacobs duck GGG???

Comment

I am not talking about the ducking itself, but rather the fighters who are wearing it as a badge of honor.

I can almost see Wilder, Stevenson, Quillin, Jacobs and Co. start wearing a T-shirt that says, "Ducking and proud of it" with a TMT/Al Haymon logo on it.
                And to be honest, GGG has turned into one of the biggest businessmen in boxing. I'm sure you'll deny it and refuse to speak on it.
                HeroBando sicko

This is what I'm talking about. These guys make these "ducking" allegations just for fun.

How in the world is Jacobs ducking GGG???
                Last edited by Chollo Vista; 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                  Every fighters situation is different and a person must follow the sport. Plus you have the politics behind boxing with fans and boxing organizations.
                  People call Stevenson a ducker because he didn't like HBO's offer for the Kovalev fight. However Manny turned down the biggest garunteed purse in boxing twice yet somehow Floyd is the ducker. People cried for Broner to move up division after division yet it's cancerous for GGG to move up one division. Too many inconsistencies in boxing to take this sport seriously anymore. Same goes for NSB.
                  People are only talking about GGG moving up for a ward fight...but Ward is moving up to 175 smh. There are idiots everywhere from every walk of life

Comment

Originally posted by titan m View Post
                    Nice try but these guys are getting huge paydays for fighting mismatches so there's no need to fight the best fights. Its all about them avoiding challenges and taking the easiest road possible while still claiming to be something special.
                    There is a need to fight the best fights because they pay the most. And they will happen at the point in time where the promoter feels they will generate the most.

Comment

Gennady Golovkin is brave. Deontay Wilder is a coward.

Deontay Wilder has beaten more top-3 ranked contenders in his career than Golovkin.

Strange how that works. Maybe you are just biased against Americans and expect more out of them than you do out of others?

Comment

Working...
                      X