Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Joe Louis vs Billy Conn prove Ali destroys Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Joe Louis vs Billy Conn prove Ali destroys Louis?

If a great LHW like Billy Conn, could use the sweet science to outbox Louis for several rounds, utilizing supreme lateral movement, footwork and skill, does this sway your opinion in favour of Ali in a fantasy match with Louis?

Ali presents a bigger, stronger, tougher, version of Conn.

The combination of Ali's superior movement, footwork, speed, iron chin, unbreakable will and fistic powers(jab, right hand, combinations), will be too much for Joe.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zizou2; 09-05-2010, 12:22 PM.

Originally posted by Zizou2 View Post
    If a great LHW like Billy Conn, could use the sweet science to outbox Louis for several rounds, utilizing supreme lateral movement, footwork and skill, does this sway your opinion in favour of Ali in a fantasy match with Louis?

Thoughts?

Firstly I think Ali beats (not destroys) Louis anyway. I don't need the Conn fight to make me think that.

No one fight "proves" anything anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by VibesMan View Post
      Firstly I think Ali beats (not destroys) Louis anyway. I don't need the Conn fight to make me think that.

No one fight "proves" anything anyway.
      So I should have worded the title of the thread; "further proves"?

No one fight determines anything, definitively per se, however, it may influence heavily on one's opinions.

Comment

People have made this argument before. It's stupid and you're repeating a stupid argument for attention.

Conn fought nothing like Ali. At all. He was a fundamentals master who went inside on Joe and took away his leverage and then stepped out while staying small. It's not hard to find the fight. You should watch it.

Ali might have beaten Joe. It would have nothing to do with what Conn did.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          People have made this argument before. It's stupid and you're repeating a stupid argument for attention.
          I think we can have a civilised discussion without the silly child's play.

Conn fought nothing like Ali. At all. He was a fundamentals master who went inside on Joe and took away his leverage and then stepped out while staying small. It's not hard to find the fight. You should watch it.
          Really? Nothing? At All?

Oh dear me. I suggest you actually watch the fight, proper, or maybe perhaps see your local shrink.

Oh, right. It will have nothing to do with what Conn did.

Poor argument.

Comment

Really? Nothing? At All?

Oh dear me. I suggest you actually watch the fight, proper, or maybe perhaps see your local shrink.
            really nothing at all.

conn fights with proper foot work a guard and the use of glance offs and parrys ali fights with his hands at his waist allways bouncing around and every time he throws anything with his left he cant help but pull his right back.
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 09-05-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

conn and ali didnt fight alike but somebody shouldnt need to use that fight to measure what ali would do to joe.that would be a pure mismatch for alot of reasons

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Robert View Post
                really nothing at all.

conn fights with proper foot work a guard and the use of glance offs and parrys ali fights with his hands at his waist allways bouncing around and every time he throws anything with his left he cant help but pull his right back.

Ali fought nothing like that. Don't just throw stuff out there.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post

It didn't have anything to do with what Conn did. Ali was a better fighter anyway. But the speed and movement bothered Louis, so that can certainly be used to guage it.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Conn and Ali arn't similar apart from both being faster on their feet than Louis.
                    I'm probably a bit old fashioned but you could use a film of Billy Conn to teach your son how to box, as talented as Ali was you wouldn't use a film of his.

Comment

Working...
                    X