Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kimbo Slice = America's Bob Sapp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing wise they are similar since both fighter's are sold more on their appeal rather than fighting skill or accomplishments. The difference is in fighting, even though Im not a big Kimbo fan at least he seems he likes to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
      Marketing wise they are similar since both fighter's are sold more on their appeal rather than fighting skill or accomplishments. The difference is in fighting, even though Im not a big Kimbo fan at least he seems he likes to fight.
      I was referring to their marketing and their fan appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        Sapp wasn't ****, he was decent because of his size up until he got money and got hit. He still had a war with Nog and showed some heart in his two wins over Ernesto Hoost.

This was the short end of Sapp IMO, he is a joke now.

Perhaps Kimbo would beat him, he would right now because Sapp is scared of getting hit but he actually fought somebodies unlike Kimbo who has fought some guys off the street, Ray Mercer, Bo Cantrell, Tank Abbott and now James "KO loss" Thompson.

I will wait until someone actually tries to take Kimbo to the ground.
        I agree. Sapp and Kimbo are similar only because they are big and black. Sapp's popularity arose from actually beating Hoost twice to win the K-1 World GP. Kimbo's popularity came from beating a bunch of bums in an alley. Sapp is a shell of the fighter he once was (which wasn't all that great to begin with), but Sapp actually fought real competition which is more than I can say for Kimbo.

Sapp would be get mobbed by walking down the street in Tokyo. He was rock star popular in Japan. Kimbo is nowhere near the amount of popular here in the states as Sapp was. There are very few atheletes in the US now that were as popular as Sapp was in Japan. Apples and oranges. Sapp and Kimbo have very few simularities.

Comment

Originally posted by Harms View Post
          I agree. Sapp and Kimbo are similar only because they are big and black. Sapp's popularity arose from actually beating Hoost twice to win the K-1 World GP. Kimbo's popularity came from beating a bunch of bums in an alley. Sapp is a shell of the fighter he once was (which wasn't all that great to begin with), but Sapp actually fought real competition which is more than I can say for Kimbo.

Sapp would be get mobbed by walking down the street in Tokyo. He was rock star popular in Japan. Kimbo is nowhere near the amount of popular here in the states as Sapp was. There are very few atheletes in the US now that were as popular as Sapp was in Japan. Apples and oranges. Sapp and Kimbo have very few simularities.
          You make a good point about the Hoost fights, those were basically what put Sapp on the radar. I know Sapp was bigger in Japan than Kimbo will ever be here, but the US and Japan are vastely different markets. I still say they're situations are somewhat similar. Ofcourse, they're also both unique.

Comment

i didn't know sapp was so big in the japanese media. maybe, more that he is a gigantic black guy, which are pretty rare over there, instead of being a great fighter.

kmbo, on the other hand, does know how to fight and has a lot of competition from cung le in showtime's mma venue.

right now, i;m watching fnf with a guy who uses a leg brace for a ****ed tendon in his knee and u can tell it ****s with his stability. that is the same reason why i haven't taken over amateur mma.

man, once u get a serious knee injury, it can be hell dealing with it in a full contact situation of more than a few minutes.

Comment

Yeah Sapp was a huge personality in Japan.

I have to wonder if Kimbo's handlers have taken his example to heart.

Comment

i know i said i was done posting on kimbo threads but i couldn't help 2 post some people say bout the guy

“The amount of talent and fights we put on are second to none. Think about it, the CBS fight that they are coming up with, who gives a crap about Kimbo Slice? This guy can’t fight MMA. You know what would happen if he fought in the UFC? I’d put him in against (lightweight champion) BJ Penn and (Slice) would get annihilated. The guy he is fighting, James Thompson, might get knocked out before he gets into the cage. Kimbo has no credibility at all in MMA. … I am telling you, BJ Penn would beat him.”

– UFC President Dana White tells the Press-Telegram that UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn (155 pounds) would annihilate Elite XC heavyweight Kimbo Slice (235 pounds) in a mixed martial arts bout. Slice is a famous street brawler who recently transitioned to the sport and will compete in a high profile fight with James Thompson during the main event of the Elite XC debut on network television (CBS) on May 31.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                GO PENN GO!!!

Comment

Penn vs. Slice......

now THAT would be fun to watch!

Comment

how gay of dana to compare kimbo who is new to mma against someone people say is the best ever p4p

Comment

Working...
                    X