No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux's Wasted Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    He might. Then again, he might win. Lol I expected Rigo to lose versus Donaire, and he wound up putting on a clinic. In this next fight, I’m really hoping Guillermo at least makes a good account of himself. As someone said recently, he’s just too good not to. I tend to agree.

And, yeah, I appreciate technical fighters myself, but Rigo has a tendency to go completely inactive. That’s just boring. I don’t care how you slice it. I had some guy argue with me over that point not long ago. I mean, watching an artist paint is one thing. Watching him stare at the canvass is quite another. Lol
    Yeah. I think he has the tools to entertain. Great control of distance, timing. Good power, technique and obviously a big arsenal. He's tended to not need it so not use it. Lomachenko understands the value of entertainment more. He gets it and as a result he has a bigger fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Yeah. I think he has the tools to entertain. Great control of distance, timing. Good power, technique and obviously a big arsenal. He's tended to not need it so not use it. Lomachenko understands the value of entertainment more. He gets it and as a result he has a bigger fan base.
      Lomo just has a much more exciting style. He’s super-active, fast, skilled. What’s not to like? Rigo can turn it on when needed. Only, as you said, he usually doesn’t need to. He’ll need to on December 9. Should be a good fight.

Comment

Complete waste just look at the pay day he’s going out with

Comment

Many like to blame HBO and Arum for Rigo's lack of popularity. Don't blame them. Blame Rigo and his support team Caribe.

Boxing is in the entertaining business and driven by fans. Fighters who partake in it should realize that. I could go on and on listing all the reasons Rigo has no real fanbase, but it would just be parroting what everyone else knows.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame
            HBO & Bob Arum done him dirty. A few reporters/journalists have help pushed a certain narrative about him.

Look at what Bob Arum says RIGHT after schooling Donaire. http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-expe...ondeaux--64421
            Hard to say HBO did him dirty. Fans weren't entertained when they watched him. I believe he got a headline card and took no chances against Agbeko. He also got a PPV spot on a huge PPV (Canelo-Cotto) and he fought a dull fight there too. It's hard to tell people they must enjoy his style when most are finding it dull.

People just didn't like his style and he didn't really do anything to get more fans. He was content calling out champions but not facing any top contenders and content in winning boring fights. Arum didn't put much effort into Marquez, but at least Marquez fought top contenders and then when he left he switched up his style a little bit. Keeping the technical but looking to be more entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
              Rigo had the ability to make fights exciting, but he just won't do it. He is content with stunking the joint out.
              I enjoyed watching him take Donaire to school.

Comment

You are right. I think Rigo is just as good as Loma for his size and age but to fight Loma now at 130 gives Loma the advantage and I expect him to win. It's a great win for Rigo if he wins but I think he will lose and possibly by KO. That won't do his career any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  I enjoyed watching him take Donaire to school.
                  Yeah, Rigo is entertaining but his entertainment is how he did it to Donaire but now he isn't doing it/

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame
                    HBO & Bob Arum done him dirty. A few reporters/journalists have help pushed a certain narrative about him.

Look at what Bob Arum says RIGHT after schooling Donaire. http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-expe...ondeaux--64421

" He's a very good fighter, but it's not a very pleasing style." -Arum

Rigo has literally one of the most aesthetically pleasing styles to watch besides Floyd, he's always perfectly composed.

Watching lesser athletes slug it out isn't, contrary to popular opinion, more "pleasing" to watch. It's like saying a Michael Bay film is more pleasing to watch than a David Lynch film because there's more action.

I CAN'T WAIT to see how Loma reacts the first time he gets nailed by Rigo's left. If Rigo's speed carries up with him Loma is going to be in for a long night.
                    Last edited by darius45; 11-20-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Donaire might end up in Hall of Fame, but Rigo...not likely. Even though he schooled prime Nonito

He can be entertaining, look at Teon Kennedy fight but it feels like he's not that good on front foot, judging by his performance against Cordoba. He doesn't want to get out of his comfort zone to make fights more entertaining. Rigo just waits for you to make a mistake and Loma creates the opportunity for you to make a mistake, that's the difference between these styles

A perfect boxer would be a mix of Loma's front foot game and Rigo's back foot game
                      Last edited by g27region; 11-21-2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X