Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANELO vs GGG: The Aftermath

I scored a draw.
    Great fight.
    Not surprised in the least Canelo is being crucified by the media and GGG gets a pass. But lets dissect this fight.

I believe I'm writing to people who know boxing, not casual fans. If you know boxing, then you knew Canelo wasn't going to knock GGG out. Hell, he didn't knock Cotto out. He was always going to counter and move, it's what you do against a BIGGER guy who pressures. We knew GGG would do the only thing he knows, pressure with power.

I saw Canelo fight a very smart fight. He traded with GGG, in spots, but still did it. He was faster, landed the stronger punches. He boxed, he countered, and his defense was on point. His first 4 rounds were solid. He seemed to gas out in the middle rounds then closed the last 2/3 rounds.
    GGG was throwing the effective jab. His right hand never really found a home. Pressured after the 4th...that's key. Because people continue to bring up the pressure, but that wasn't applied until after the 4th round, I believe. Anyway, GGG threw everything he could. Unfortunately, never once hurting Canelo the way everyone expected. Middle rounds to him, clearly.

I believe this will come down to taste. Pressure or Precision? Personally I like precision. I love to see skills beyond strength behind a punch, especially one that doesn't land. This fight was ironic in many ways...
    GGG couldn't hurt Canelo and I see GGG fans avoiding that... Canelo being out-jabbed by GGG...
    Canelo winning in power punches and precision.
    GGG winning total punches and pressure.

I wouldn't be upset if GGG won or Canelo won. I think they both did what they wanted to but if you think about EXPECTATIONS...Canelo is edging this.

Every boxing fan I spoke to said: GGG by KO or Canelo by decision.
    GGG couldn't hurt Canelo, and one can argue that Canelo looked like the bigger puncher on fight night. On three occasions GGG looked stunned.

Without focusing on the 118-110 card which was ABSURD (most GGG fans/Canelo haters are cause they have nothing else) the scorecards were fair and the draw was fair for BOTH. GGG should be happy he walked out with those belts after not being able to KO Canelo.

Last comment, two of Canelo's biggest critics, the legend Chavez SR and ESPN analyst Faitelson both had Canelo edging this fight. That alone says a lot. It pains me to see Casual fans talk about a boxer "RUNNING." Unfortunately, these are the fans running their mouths on social media, looking ever stupid.

I scored a draw. Either way 115-113 I would be okay with. Don't let the focus be on a bad scorecard. This fight was VERY close, and VERY good.

GREAT FIGHT BY BOTH MEN.

reneg_2

People can't handle TRUTH. ;D

Comment

Spot on. No one on this form likes hear the truth. They just like to b1tch and complain about every little thing.

Comment

Draw or 115-113 either way. Even 116-112 either way is OK, if you give all the close rounds to either fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by reneg_2 View Post
          I scored a draw.
          Great fight.
          Not surprised in the least Canelo is being crucified by the media and GGG gets a pass. But lets dissect this fight.

I believe I'm writing to people who know boxing, not casual fans. If you know boxing, then you knew Canelo wasn't going to knock GGG out. Hell, he didn't knock Cotto out. He was always going to counter and move, it's what you do against a BIGGER guy who pressures. We knew GGG would do the only thing he knows, pressure with power.

I saw Canelo fight a very smart fight. He traded with GGG, in spots, but still did it. He was faster, landed the stronger punches. He boxed, he countered, and his defense was on point. His first 4 rounds were solid. He seemed to gas out in the middle rounds then closed the last 2/3 rounds.
          GGG was throwing the effective jab. His right hand never really found a home. Pressured after the 4th...that's key. Because people continue to bring up the pressure, but that wasn't applied until after the 4th round, I believe. Anyway, GGG threw everything he could. Unfortunately, never once hurting Canelo the way everyone expected. Middle rounds to him, clearly.

I believe this will come down to taste. Pressure or Precision? Personally I like precision. I love to see skills beyond strength behind a punch, especially one that doesn't land. This fight was ironic in many ways...
          GGG couldn't hurt Canelo and I see GGG fans avoiding that... Canelo being out-jabbed by GGG...
          Canelo winning in power punches and precision.
          GGG winning total punches and pressure.

I wouldn't be upset if GGG won or Canelo won. I think they both did what they wanted to but if you think about EXPECTATIONS...Canelo is edging this.

Every boxing fan I spoke to said: GGG by KO or Canelo by decision.
          GGG couldn't hurt Canelo, and one can argue that Canelo looked like the bigger puncher on fight night. On three occasions GGG looked stunned.

Without focusing on the 118-110 card which was ABSURD (most GGG fans/Canelo haters are cause they have nothing else) the scorecards were fair and the draw was fair for BOTH. GGG should be happy he walked out with those belts after not being able to KO Canelo.

Last comment, two of Canelo's biggest critics, the legend Chavez SR and ESPN analyst Faitelson both had Canelo edging this fight. That alone says a lot. It pains me to see Casual fans talk about a boxer "RUNNING." Unfortunately, these are the fans running their mouths on social media, looking ever stupid.

I scored a draw. Either way 115-113 I would be okay with. Don't let the focus be on a bad scorecard. This fight was VERY close, and VERY good.

GREAT FIGHT BY BOTH MEN.

reneg_2
          exactly how i feel. It's clear once you wipe your tears and see the fight for what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicario* View Post
            Spot on. No one on this form likes hear the truth. They just like to b1tch and complain about every little thing.
            Which is ridiculous. The fight was close. Judges had a tough one to score.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
              Draw or 115-113 either way. Even 116-112 either way is OK, if you give all the close rounds to either fighter.
              I can def see that.
              115-113 is what I've heard from my circle of friends.

Comment

I had very similar thoughts. My breakdown with GIFs here https://imgur.com/gallery/lKcAK

Comment

Fights are not scored as a whole. They are scored by rounds, and scoring by rounds, 3G clearly won, even though it was a close fight.

Close, but clear. 3G victory.

Comment

This fight reminds me of PAC vs may. Close fight but Floyd clearly won. Just like I thought ggg clearly won in a close fight. The funny thing is the same people that are claiming canelo has the more crisp effective punches are not saying the same for the Floyd manny fight where Floyd dictated the pace and the distance but manny had he more effective punches even visually stunning Floyd on at least two occasions

Comment

Working...
                    X