Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loeffler wasn't sure Ward could make 168. So why did he mention 164?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Somebody who was correct when he said Cotto or Canelo would duck GGG.

His trainer doesn't believe that. He believes Ward is figting 175 because he had to make a fight with GGG or Kovalev to get an HBO contract. Kovalev accepted the challenge. I'll go with the word of his trainer over your beliefs.

The only people who believed that were people who completely ignored Canelo's statements regarding GGG.
    You mean statements like "Bring the gloves, I'll fight him right now" etc?

Virgil Hunter talks a lot of crap about Ward. Talking crap about their fighters is part and parcel of a boxing trainer's job nowadays. Didn't Virgil also jump on the "HBO are protecting GGG from Andre Ward" band wagon as well?

Logically, you can't have it both ways, but that didn't stop him from trying.

Neither GGG, Kovalev or Ward had ever headlined an HBO PPV back then. What possible reason would HBO have for forcing Ward to fight either GGG or Kovalev, and nobody else? It makes no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Yea, that's pretty much what happened. A couple years ago, everyone here loved Golovkin and you'd get buried if you ever questioned the guy (ask me how I know). After the Ward call out, Lemieux PPV, Wade, Brook, and other embarrassments, there's only about a dozen guys left here defending him avidly (half of which are rotating alts) and the reasonable ones, the majority, have gotten pretty quiet.

This is so easily remedied by taking a challenging fight. But, if that's not what they're into then they're going to suffer the ridicule that inevitably goes along with it, as are the fans. As a Calzaghe fan, I went through it myself and those with integrity with just deal with it and not make up excuses. Joe eventually fought Hopkins. Maybe GGG will find an good opponent to save his legacy. Hopefully it's not Hopkins too...
      GGG can't get the best 160's to fight him. Saunders is a belt holder and said "he's not ready", Eubank Sr was being a dickhead and screwed up that fight. Granted Eddie Hearn should have picked up the phone and asked Groves or DeGale but he literally called Brook and the fight was made very quickly.

Golovkin would give Ward nightmares. Boxing and putting a fight together has nuance. Ward's team knew GGG had just signed a deal to fight, and then they sent an 'offer'. Ward is notorious for being an ass to deal with, and the money was supposedly stupid low for GGG anyway, making 2 reasons the fight could not happen. It may happen eventually, because the bum fighting princess from Oakland is getting ktfo by Kovalev and then Hunter will whine about being 'forced' to go up - they'll go back to 168 and GGG will fight him - if Ward is willing and offers more than a few thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post
        GGG can't get the best 160's to fight him. Saunders is a belt holder and said "he's not ready", Eubank Sr was being a dickhead and screwed up that fight. Granted Eddie Hearn should have picked up the phone and asked Groves or DeGale but he literally called Brook and the fight was made very quickly.

Golovkin would give Ward nightmares. Boxing and putting a fight together has nuance. Ward's team knew GGG had just signed a deal to fight, and then they sent an 'offer'. Ward is notorious for being an ass to deal with, and the money was supposedly stupid low for GGG anyway, making 2 reasons the fight could not happen. It may happen eventually, because the bum fighting princess from Oakland is getting ktfo by Kovalev and then Hunter will whine about being 'forced' to go up - they'll go back to 168 and GGG will fight him - if Ward is willing and offers more than a few thou.
        Lol... Not really worth responding to though it's cute how even dirty Sanchez has been talking about 168 but GGG fans are unfamiliar with 168 as a weight class or a concept. Fighting at 168 to seek better competition is never an option, they simply refer to being ducked at 160 as the cure-all all excuse.

Comment

Working...
        X