Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a newbie boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then again my first actual sparring session is tomorrow so my actual experience in this is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
      Then again my first actual sparring session is tomorrow so my actual experience in this is limited.
      What ended up happening?

Comment

Originally posted by 23calzaghe23 View Post
        So I've been boxing for a few weeks now. I'm told I have very good ring movement and footwork, and don't typically struggle offensively; I can land punches pretty well. I'm about 6-2 with very long arms, so I land plenty of jabs when sparring. But whenever I try to follow my jab up with any other punch (usually a right cross), I always get countered hard, because I've now put myself within my opponent's range. The best way I can put it is: I can't seem to land a punch (other than the jab) without taking a couple in the process. I can't box offensively AND defend myself at the same time. How do I work on this? Because of my reach advantage, should I just throw lots of jabs and wait for countering oppurtunities to throw more powerful punches like the cross? What are some go-to counters to the jab and 1-2? I appreciate any advice you have.
        Think the issue is speed, to slow to land a power punch and getting countered.

Get the fast twitch muscles running, do HIIT, sprints, try land 100 punches on the heavy bag in under one minute.

Comment

Originally posted by 23calzaghe23 View Post
          So I've been boxing for a few weeks now. I'm told I have very good ring movement and footwork, and don't typically struggle offensively; I can land punches pretty well. I'm about 6-2 with very long arms, so I land plenty of jabs when sparring. But whenever I try to follow my jab up with any other punch (usually a right cross), I always get countered hard, because I've now put myself within my opponent's range. The best way I can put it is: I can't seem to land a punch (other than the jab) without taking a couple in the process. I can't box offensively AND defend myself at the same time. How do I work on this? Because of my reach advantage, should I just throw lots of jabs and wait for countering oppurtunities to throw more powerful punches like the cross? What are some go-to counters to the jab and 1-2? I appreciate any advice you have.
          My advice is this...stop listening to the people who are telling you that you have good ring movement and footwork. You need to practice the stick and move.

Stick and move:
          A technique where the boxer uses jabs or long range punches and then quickly steps backward to get away from an opponent. This requires fast and deceptive footwork.

To quote a boxingscene article from 2009:
          For all you new boxers to be a good boxer you need to be able to stick and Move. First stick, and then move. Stick is your jab, imagine your jab is your stick, and you are sticking someone with it. Then you need to move, thats when footwork steps in. You need to move laterally, forwards, backwards and vertically.*
          Imagine that you are a in a cage with a lion, and you have a stick, you wanna poke the lion in the eye but at the largest distance possible so he or she (if its a she-lion) doesnt claw you and rip half your face off. Imagine your opponent is that lion and the stick is your jab, this will help you find distance. So stick the lion in the eye or use your jab and then move, imagine one step movement is move, and the jab is stick. It could be like this:
          stick, stick, move
          stick, move, stick,
          move, move, stick,
          stick, stick, stickety stick stick, move

stick

stick

move

move, move, move move move move

stick stick

DIng dong (bell)

sit

Ding dong (bell)

stick stick, move
          move, move, stick

Ding dong(bell)

you won!

Comment

You stepping into range to throw the right, and loosing the extra bit of reach with the long jab. If the dude is cracking you every time you do it, he's likely onto that left/ right combo and timing you a bit. Mix it up and don't be predictable. Try the lead right or something different, Use some feints and draw him out some

Also, you might well need to take some shots now and then to land that right. You're gonna get hit more when you step in. Hearns had some long arms, killer jab and right hand. I'd check out his tactics as well

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
              My advice is this...stop listening to the people who are telling you that you have good ring movement and footwork. You need to practice the stick and move.

Stick and move:
              A technique where the boxer uses jabs or long range punches and then quickly steps backward to get away from an opponent. This requires fast and deceptive footwork.

To quote a boxingscene article from 2009:
              For all you new boxers to be a good boxer you need to be able to stick and Move. First stick, and then move. Stick is your jab, imagine your jab is your stick, and you are sticking someone with it. Then you need to move, thats when footwork steps in. You need to move laterally, forwards, backwards and vertically.*
              Imagine that you are a in a cage with a lion, and you have a stick, you wanna poke the lion in the eye but at the largest distance possible so he or she (if its a she-lion) doesnt claw you and rip half your face off. Imagine your opponent is that lion and the stick is your jab, this will help you find distance. So stick the lion in the eye or use your jab and then move, imagine one step movement is move, and the jab is stick. It could be like this:
              stick, stick, move
              stick, move, stick,
              move, move, stick,
              stick, stick, stickety stick stick, move

stick

stick

move

move, move, move move move move

stick stick

DIng dong (bell)

sit

Ding dong (bell)

stick stick, move
              move, move, stick

Ding dong(bell)

you won!
              Hahahahaha. Rocky breaks it down.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                What ended up happening?
                My first sparring session was chaos. I got big eyes and every plan went out the window. I know this is "typical" but it happened. I barely remember anything about it and went off what the coaches told me. Afterward we had fun with it and they were laughing and giving me advice, etc. Basically one of the solutions to this is ..... more sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
                  My first sparring session was chaos. I got big eyes and every plan went out the window. I know this is "typical" but it happened. I barely remember anything about it and went off what the coaches told me. Afterward we had fun with it and they were laughing and giving me advice, etc. Basically one of the solutions to this is ..... more sparring.
                  Sounds like my usual dates. I have a plan in place, but everything goes to hell after a few drinks.

Comment

You can have a look on real buzz or find it over here, you need to be trained in a such a way that your boxing punches and boxing defense are good enough. Start with a light punch on bag, break a sweat just push yourself a little more each day, use your whole body instead of just the arms to punch like this you can start with the things. Enjoy your training.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianBerry View Post
                      You can have a look on real buzz or find it over here, you need to be trained in a such a way that your boxing punches and boxing defense are good enough. Start with a light punch on bag, break a sweat just push yourself a little more each day, use your whole body instead of just the arms to punch like this you can start with the things. Enjoy your training.
                      That's basically how I handle weights.

Comment

Working...
                      X