No announcement yet.

Heat oil allowed in boxing fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat oil allowed in boxing fights

As a Thai boxing fan you normally know about the "Muay Thai Oil" fighters put on when they train or fight. Its pretty much just stimulating your muscles and tendons by applying heat on your body.
    Which leads to my question:

Do you think it is allowed or not forbidden to use this oil during a fight?

My main doubt would be that first it smells strongly and therefore is easy detectable by the referee in the first place and if you clinch it could get into the opponents eyes (if he puts his head on your shoulders) but thats super unlikely.

I know this is oil does not seem to be used in regular boxing, so my question might be not easy to answer, since nobody tried it before but I'd rather know before I put it on in fights.

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
    As a Thai boxing fan you normally know about the "Muay Thai Oil" fighters put on when they train or fight. Its pretty much just stimulating your muscles and tendons by applying heat on your body.
    Which leads to my question:

Do you think it is allowed or not forbidden to use this oil during a fight?

My main doubt would be that first it smells strongly and therefore is easy detectable by the referee in the first place and if you clinch it could get into the opponents eyes (if he puts his head on your shoulders) but thats super unlikely.

I know this is oil does not seem to be used in regular boxing, so my question might be not easy to answer, since nobody tried it before but I'd rather know before I put it on in fights.
    That green stuff with a ginger smell that asian people use?

Comment

Check with Panama Lewis

Comment

If you're talking about a jow or lineament, it's generally restricted because sweat moves around and that stuff will burn if it gets in you or your opponent's eyes.

Comment

He's talking about Tiger Balm in its liquid form, generically called Thai oil. I've never even seen it in western boxing gyms that's an interesting question.

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
            He's talking about Tiger Balm in its liquid form, generically called Thai oil. I've never even seen it in western boxing gyms that's an interesting question.
            Yea, that's just a form of liniment. There's a ton of variations. It's all based in the Chinese Dit Da Jow (commonly known as "jow") and you'll see variations. It's best used after training, for help with healing.

I used to make my own 15 years ago when you couldn't find it in the states. Now, you can just buy it online if you want. I don't use it anymore because I find it pointless for a boxer because we use wraps and well padded gloves. When I was into Kung Fu, it was a lifesaver.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realize it was so international. What did you make yours out of?

Comment

Working...
              X