No announcement yet.

Boxing's daily double standards.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing's daily double standards.

Coming off of the Cotto vs. Canelo fight, we get another double standard again. A couple of weeks removed from Oscar's letter to Floyd, we get to see Canelo not take risks and be applauded for it. All the talk last night was about how much more power Canelo had over Cotto. The final scorecards and many opinions were that Canelo made fairly easy work of Cotto. With all of that power and boxing ability, why not take a risk to put him away? I'm not saying that I didn't think the fight was good, and I'm not saying it was great either. But I also don't find many fights that I don't enjoy. What I am saying is that it seemed that Canelo didn't force many issues in the fight and settled for taking what Cotto was giving him. At no point outside of the early work in round eight did Canelo work to unleash the same combos that he let loose on Kirkland. Where were the risks?

We also got to listen to Lampley and Jones fry Rigondeaux for not doing more with his ability, only to turn around and go crazy about all of Canelo's power. Why was there no cry for Canelo to put away Cotto from Lampley and Jones? No cry for more action than we were getting? We were all sold the Mexican vs. Puerto Rican War tagline, so why not call for it when you're making non stop references to one fighters power advantage? Once again, the final scorecards indicate (as well as several opinions on NSB today) that the knockout was there for the taking. So why no demand for Canelo to take risks from the broadcast crew?

I'm just as guilty as anyone, and I can easily say that boxing double standards have got to stop. Boxing will forever be the ugly stepchild of professional sports as long as hypocrisy and double standards are the norm. But I guess I shouldn't give a **** as long as I get to keep seeing fights.
Working...
X