Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Ali vs Prime Marciano: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Ali vs Prime Marciano: Who wins?

I know some people will scoff and point to Ali's reach and height advantage, but that would be irresponsibly dismissing Marcianos ability to fight inside, move his head, and cut off the ring. I think it would be a great fight, and styles make fights. What say you?
    Ali by KO/TKO
    34.25%
    Marciano by KO/TKO
    10.96%
    Ali by UD/MD/SD
    47.95%
    Marciano by UD/MD/SD
    5.48%
    Draw
    1.37%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    I know some people will scoff and point to Ali's reach and height advantage, but that would be irresponsibly dismissing Marcianos ability to fight inside, move his head, and cut off the ring. I think it would be a great fight, and styles make fights. What say you?
    Yes, it'd be a great fight. You only have to watch Ali vs Chuvalo 1 to realise how good it could be. Prime Ali wasn't always super mobile or elusive.

Marciano brings similar pace to Frazier but a much more effective right hand.

Ali himself said that Marciano could possibly have been his most difficult opponent, he was impressed by even the old Rocky in their simulated computer fight sparring sessions.

I personally think that Ali wins a decision or a late rounds stoppage on cuts. But it'd be exciting and certainly competitive.

Comment

cant really see a scenario where marciano wins. he would obviously have to stop ali and i dont think he has the speed, skills or size to land often enough to wear him down or the power to knock him out with a single punch. the guy could punch but the only great fighters he knocked out where smaller, older guys who had been knocked out several times before. ali fought the likes of foreman, liston and shavers, all clearly bigger punchers than rocky imo and absorbed big shot from all of them. rocky wouldnt be able to get out of the way of alis whirlwind attack either, i see ali outboxing him early and unleashing on him in the later rounds for a TKO win.

Comment

I voted for ali by pts win. There is a story out there that when filming there mock fight in 69 Ali knocked off Rockies Toupe which pissed Rocky off and he landed a couple of hard shots to Ali's chest and Ali quit teasing Rocky.

Comment

Seems that Ali has so many advantages that there is no way for Rocky to win. Not even a puncher's chance is present since that's always out of the question against Ali. Ali uses every bit of his long reach that Rocky would not be able to overcome, his jab cuts worst than any other fighter's while Marciano has weak skin. Even if he gets on the inside, we all know what Ali withstood from Frazier so this is just a hopeless scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
            Seems that Ali has so many advantages that there is no way for Rocky to win. Not even a puncher's chance is present since that's always out of the question against Ali. Ali uses every bit of his long reach that Rocky would not be able to overcome, his jab cuts worst than any other fighter's while Marciano has weak skin. Even if he gets on the inside, we all know what Ali withstood from Frazier so this is just a hopeless scenario.
            I wouldn't say that. Prime Ali was dropped and stunned. A guy who hits like Marciano always has a puncher's chance.

Comment

^I just can't envision it, prime Ali fought several of the hardest punchers of all time and was never close to being stopped. I would say Rocky has a knockdown chance, though, to make it more fair.

Comment

Ali via a lopsided decision

Comment

Like most match ups with Ali, he's too fast and mobile to get caught often enough, and if you do catch him it's probably the solidest chin of all time your hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    I wouldn't say that. Prime Ali was dropped and stunned. A guy who hits like Marciano always has a puncher's chance.
                    When he did get dropped he always was able to come back, great recuperative powers. The shot that usually hurt Ali was the left hook, Rocky would have to hit Ali with that shot to stun him. I give Rocky little chance. Ali would win a decision/late stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                    X