Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Tyson Fury fought in Muhammad Ali's golden era, would he have performed well?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    The Gypsy King actually does have a draw, and Hercules is still asking for a rematch!
    ^^^^^ hahahahahahaha

Comment

Lewis also fought all comers. Never ducked a fight, Many of the guys he beat he exposed so it does not read as impressively as it should: for example, Michael Grant...Lewis' mandatory was Ruiz who sucked, and Grant was going to teach Lewis a lesson, KO him. Or Briggs, or Tua, Or Golota, or how about Rudock? As people warm to lewis it will show that he fought excellent competition. Oliver McCall in particular is a very dangerous puncher, and Lewis avenged all his defeats.

Its silly to say he fumbled against Holyfield, he beat Holyfield twice! Holyfield is on some people's short list of great fighters in two divisions! And Vitali was not green by any stretch. You have some inflated idea of yourself calling another poster out with the so called evidence you present here.... which is rubbish frankly.
      Whoops! Forgive me! I didn't know I had stumbled into a Lewis Fanboy Club meeting!

Aside from the many lies you've told, what does any of that have to do w/ the comment I was responding to?

Hearns looked damn near the closest thing we had ever seen to Ray Robinson since Ezzard Charles when he entered into his fights with Leonard and Hagler, yet he lost.
      I agree that Lewis was a tremendous Heavyweight champion (despite his many warts), but I don't see how those achievements prove he can beat Tyson Fury. The evidence points to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
        Whoops! Forgive me! I didn't know I had stumbled into a Lewis Fanboy Club meeting!

Aside from the many lies you've told, what does any of that have to do w/ the comment I was responding to?

Hearns looked damn near the closest thing we had ever seen to Ray Robinson since Ezzard Charles when he entered into his fights with Leonard and Hagler, yet he lost.
        I agree that Lewis was a tremendous Heavyweight champion (despite his many warts), but I don't see how those achievements prove he can beat Tyson Fury. The evidence points to the contrary.
        Well the description I gave per the fights mentioned...lets be general here on that account: there certainly are times when a fighter won a fight that was a wash. But in between "the other guy had only one arm" and the other guy had a boo boo...is a vast stretch where one should tread carefully before qualifying every victory, or loss a fighter has... I don't know what fighters were at their best, or worse regarding Holyfield, etc... But Lewis came and fought and won and that was quite an accomplishment. Its just in bad form to start picking apart those victories with statements like "Vitali was Green" etc etc.

regarding Fury, who I think the world of...the Gypsy like any other fighter today with a future, Canelo comes to mind also...should be given the time to age in the cellar of history as a fine wine, before being compared to fighters who have completed that journey. lets see how the Gypsy and his peer group wind up and then compare him to the likes of Lewis.

Does that make sense? Make it apples to apples. I wouldn't take half of lewis' career and compare him to Holmes for example.

Comment

- -We ain't comparing careers billy.

Plenty of prime welts and middles over 120 years could beat SRRobinson for example. Your job is to make a stylistic case for your fighter best to best.

Alas, too many in this crowd want their best to fight the worst of the other fighter, the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Comment

Fury has no chance to beat prime Lewis. Lewis was a proven ATG hwt champion. Fury an unproven mess if a fighter. A laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Plenty of prime welts and middles over 120 years could beat SRRobinson for example. Your job is to make a stylistic case for your fighter best to best.

Alas, too many in this crowd want their best to fight the worst of the other fighter, the last refuge of a scoundrel.
              Fighters evolve, improve, get exposed... History gives us a lense and when it is ready we look through it. Not everything is style...for example who has Lewis fought that is similar to Fury?
              Last edited by billeau2; 02-21-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                Fury has no chance to beat prime Lewis. Lewis was a proven ATG hwt champion. Fury an unproven mess if a fighter. A laughing stock.
                Let me guess because you went to school? because sir master batier' the French Boxing Pundit said so? Because your shirt is less messy than queenies?

Comment

You simply cannot ask this question at this point in his career. We have to see more and digest what we have seen. For example as much as triangle theory is not hip... we all would like to see how Wilder does. What if Wilder sparks AJ? and then Fury beats him in a rematch? And then Fury takes on and beats AJ and maybe 3 up and commers?

What if Fury gets beat badly by AJ? And AJ loses to wilder?, or Wilder beats AJ?

These are all different scenerios that would impact how we see Fury.
                  Pretty much this.

I'll say it like this though, I reckon they need the other two to stack against the ATGs.

Fury without Wilder and Joshua wins is just a guy who beat a tired Wlad.

Wilder without Fury and Josh wins is just a guy with a big punch.

Josh without Wilder and Fury wins is just popular in his time..

I don't think just one makes a strong enough case because the B-side golden era was much better than the b-siders today.

If Ali Frazier and Foreman are the kings then Norton and Shavers and such are second tier group or below.

That's Ken ****in' Norton man.

Pov, Ortiz, and Old'un Wlad level ilk are not good enough to stack against the Nortons and Shavers of the Golden Era.

Also, Y'all're welcome for the Golden Era. That came from Dixie. Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Shavers, Ellis, Terrell, all Southern Strong. Hell, yer welcome for the centuries of excellence, We claim Johnson, Louis, and both Sugar Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    Pretty much this.

I'll say it like this though, I reckon they need the other two to stack against the ATGs.

Fury without Wilder and Joshua wins is just a guy who beat a tired Wlad.

Wilder without Fury and Josh wins is just a guy with a big punch.

Josh without Wilder and Fury wins is just popular in his time..

I don't think just one makes a strong enough case because the B-side golden era was much better than the b-siders today.

If Ali Frazier and Foreman are the kings then Norton and Shavers and such are second tier group or below.

That's Ken ****in' Norton man.

Pov, Ortiz, and Old'un Wlad level ilk are not good enough to stack against the Nortons and Shavers of the Golden Era.

Also, Y'all're welcome for the Golden Era. That came from Dixie. Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Shavers, Ellis, Terrell, all Southern Strong. Hell, yer welcome for the centuries of excellence, We claim Johnson, Louis, and both Sugar Rays.
                    The bolded: words to live by...these guys better wake up and understand they need each other to make that mark.

That Dixie connection, anything goes toughened up the gentry... Patterson! Brooklyn born and raised, family from the south. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Not one welter today or MW could hang with a prime, even a past prime SRR.

I've red K'd people for less.

Guys like JMM, Floyd, Maidana give him a bit of trouble. Two are retired and one just came out of retirement. Plodders with bricks for feet like Canelo have no chance against a complete fighter and ATG like SRR.

Don't talk out of your culo.

Comment

Working...
                      X