No announcement yet.

Last Night Felt Like Jones vs Tarver 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Jones had been on the decline for years. And like Mayweather, people couldn't see it because he was still dominating opponents. It isn't that they grew old overnight, but just a little slip further is the difference between a punch landing or missing.

Jones began slipping hardcore when he fought Derrick Harmon. It really showed a year or two later against Clinton Woods. Then the brilliant performance against Ruiz. Then all of a sudden he looks human against Tarver. I think people haven't been paying attention to the signs with Mayweather. This wasn't a crash landing to earth. More like a gradual descent.
    even in the Ortiz fight, it look like Floyd was declining.

IMHO, the last fight Floyd was in his prime was the hatton fight

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      Jones had been on the decline for years. And like Mayweather, people couldn't see it because he was still dominating opponents. It isn't that they grew old overnight, but just a little slip further is the difference between a punch landing or missing.

Jones began slipping hardcore when he fought Derrick Harmon. It really showed a year or two later against Clinton Woods. Then the brilliant performance against Ruiz. Then all of a sudden he looks human against Tarver. I think people haven't been paying attention to the signs with Mayweather. This wasn't a crash landing to earth. More like a gradual descent.
      That fight was after Jones failed a drug test post Richard Hall. If someone starts and stops taking Androstenedione they can suddenly look bad once the stuff is out of their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
        Interesting fact: the judges scores were exactly the same for both fights

12:57
        damn I never even thought of that

Comment

TBH, I thought the same thing.

Before Tarver-Jones I, Roy never got caught on the ropes like that.

During Floyd's 06-07 run, he very rarely got trapped in the corner like he did last night.

Comment

So I guess all these people are suggesting Maidana is going to spark Mayweather out with one punch in the rematch? Or is it some other flight of fancy?

Comment

I was talking about this with irondan earlier, and this fight definitely reminded me of Roy-tarver.

Just the way he retreats to the ropes.. I think Floyd adjusted much better down the stretch than Roy did, but a lot of similarities especially retreating the ropes.. Early rounds I was having de ja vu

Comment

There are comparisons but in Jones case he was cutting all that muscle he built up which lead to his deterioration along with age/nature where it's relevant is that both were still fast but had lost that sudden quickness.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                  I know I wasn't the only one who thought that
                  I mentioned this to a friend last night. You are right on.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                    So I guess all these people are suggesting Maidana is going to spark Mayweather out with one punch in the rematch? Or is it some other flight of fancy?
                    I don't think Floyd will fall as hard as Roy did.. Just think that he is clearly on the downside and this may be the beginning of the end for Floyd as the top p4p guy..
                    Floyd is entering Hopkins territory where he can still beat a lot of guys, but in the future will have to be smart in opponent selection

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                      Come on. Don't be so daft. No one is suggesting that Mayweather is going to start getting knocked into a coma every fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X