Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Duck in History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've come to the ultimate conclusion that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao really wanted to get in the ring with each other. Neither man ever said, "I'll fight for peanuts and will agree to any stipulations... I just want to beat the other guy to prove that I'm the better fighter." Guys in the good old days of boxing were willing to do that... fighters today, not so much.

Both Floyd and Manny are and were dangerous fighters, and both had the ability to tarnish the other man's legacy. I think that Mayweather would likely have won the fight at any point in history, but it's certainly conceivable that Pacquiao could have taken Floyd apart. There was risk to both fighters, and I don't think either one of them truly wanted to take that risk. Sad for boxing fans.

Comment

Daffy Duck was despicable!

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
        I think that was Team Pacquiao just trying to play hardball and not let Mayweather have everything his own way, but then they realised that it was making them look bad. IIRC, they agreed to take the test shortly after walking away, they just wanted a 14-day cut-off point, which couldn't be agreed to.
        By most accounts, the Floyd side did finally agree to 14. Team Pac still walked. I don't think either guy was scared of the other. Find the notion absurd. I do think Arum didn't want to work with Floyd and had a hard on to do Cowboys Stadium, something that didn't look possible for the superfight. There's no argument to me that the closest we ever really came to a fight was the March 2010 date and the blame for that falling apart more squarely falls on Pac's side.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          I've come to the ultimate conclusion that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao really wanted to get in the ring with each other. Neither man ever said, "I'll fight for peanuts and will agree to any stipulations... I just want to beat the other guy to prove that I'm the better fighter." Guys in the good old days of boxing were willing to do that... fighters today, not so much.

Both Floyd and Manny are and were dangerous fighters, and both had the ability to tarnish the other man's legacy. I think that Mayweather would likely have won the fight at any point in history, but it's certainly conceivable that Pacquiao could have taken Floyd apart. There was risk to both fighters, and I don't think either one of them truly wanted to take that risk. Sad for boxing fans.
          Your pretty spot on there bro, to me the whole mayweather-pac thing pretty much epitomised what is wrong with boxing today and the decline of the sports great champions and rivalries. May and Pac were the two best fighters in the world, were around the same weight and the matchup posed an interesting clash of styles that would have been great to watch. But it didnt happen.

Some guys complain about how other boxing fans always look back to the old days, but in this case its justified. In any other era those two would have fought and it would have been epic, but instead in our era all we got to witness was a farcical circus of **** talking from both camps.

Comment

Amen. That's what I like about MMA. We had to wait a long time, but Liddell eventually got to fight Silva and Ortiz finally returned and agreed to fight Liddell after ducking him for a long time. I'm sure when there's a lot more money involved, like there is in boxing, we'll see plenty more ducking there too. Although, in that case, guys could be cut from their promotion if they don't fight the best, like with Ortiz. It's usually the promotion someone is with that prevents certain fights from happening in that case.

Still love boxing though, but there needs to be more superfights. When was the last one that everybody, even non boxing fans cared about? The one that comes to mind for me is either Holyfield-Tyson fights or maybe Hopkins-Trinidad, because it was a title fight and was in MSG shortly after 9-11. I know Cotto-Foreman was in Yankee Stadium, but still didn't hear much talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
              I think that was Team Pacquiao just trying to play hardball and not let Mayweather have everything his own way, but then they realised that it was making them look bad. IIRC, they agreed to take the test shortly after walking away, they just wanted a 14-day cut-off point, which couldn't be agreed to.
              i think theres defntly ducking on both parts but mayweather the most, at least manny was trying. saying that i think mayweather would win anyway

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                not the worst but jack johnson ducking sam langford
                That's right up there for me.

Comment

'Kin 'Oath

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Archie Moore didn't get a shot at the title until he was 39. Somebody must have been ducking him badly.
                  Good post, yes it is certain many fighters ducked Archie, he struck fear into many fighters and fighter managers. He had been feared for a very long time. You gotta give those Aussie fighters who did not duck Moore (far as I know no Aussie ducked him) back in the 30's when Moore was a boom up and coming MW when he toured Australia. The Moore vs Ron Richards first fight was an absolute classic. Richards was a good fighter and was an absolute killer with amazing punching power and he sent Moore almost to oblivion early in the fight when he knocked Archie down but as usual Moore got up and outclassed Richards, a fight old time fans raved about.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
                    That's right up there for me.
                    Sam was great, but Johnson would have beaten Sam to a pulp if they had fought again.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      Maybe, but the Robinson stuff is WAY overrated . Armstrong has a far bigger knock for not fighting those two as they were actually his contenders at Welterweight, and even he doesn't merit much of one.
                      It just shocked me to realise that Armstrong may have ducked Robinson, for some reason I always thought that they had one fight with SRR winning, but I will check that. Not to at all denigrate Armstrong but I can't imagine Henry surviving Robinson.

Comment

Working...
                      X