No announcement yet.

Wtf? Worst stoppage in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
    No, the worst stoppage in boxing history is the one with 2 seconds left in the fight with the fighter standing on his feet.

meldrick taylor took a hellish beating and he was never sthe same after the fight. steel asked "are you ok?" and he looked somewhere off to the side. can you let that go? not according to the rules both written and unwritten in the sport. steel is not a timekeeper. it' shis job to determine when a fighter has taken enough punishment to warrant a stoppage, or if he still wants to continue. both of those things can be argued in his reasoning to stop the fight.

that's a stoppage that's focused on because of how good the fight was, the clock, etc. had nothing to do with taylor's condition, the guy was hellishly beat up by that point.

Comment

bad timing, but i don't ave a problem with the fighter not being allowed to continue after the punishment he'd taken and his apparent lack of ability to win.

usually astoppage like that takes place between rounds. the ref basically decided the fighter had seen enough, but picked a bad spot to do it and i can see why it's controversial. gives british boxing a bad look, which isn't good considering that it's becoming a boxing hotspot, and thye have the HW champion of the world and arguably boxing's biggest draw.

do it in the corner next time.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
        British refs get a bad rep for not being impartial, and it's unfair.

Look at Terry O'Connor.... people said he stopped a fight too early when he stepped in and gave Calzaghe a TKO win over American Peter Manfredo Jr.

But then the same ref gives every chance to British Nathan Cleverly in the Kovalev fight, even carrying him back to his corner, and they say he lets fights go on too long.

The guy's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
        Hahaha!

Micky Vann was my personal favourite. I am sure he came close to sinking in a few left hooks to the body during Ricky Hatton's devastating WBU reign. You could see him stepping around to give himself an angle.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
          You clearly do not

I'll explain as you seem very dim.
          After a heavy KD, the referee will ask a question to the fighter to gauge how hurt they are, if they do not respond, the referee will call it off, sometimes they even call it off if they do respond, if they have a glassy eyed look etc
          Taylor was both glassy eyed and did not respond.

your logic =

but but
          ' the time doe'
          'conspiracy by dong king doe'
          ' newspapers doe'
          'so what if the boxer didnt respond after a heavy KD richard steele should of checked how much time was left and looked at the scorecards doe'

LMAO @ 'inbread'
          What the hell is a "heavy" KD. He went down, he got up! He was asked a question. He looked to the side, I don't remember if he was asked a second time but Steele quickly waved the fight off. This is the one fight I will go to my grave thinking it shouldn't have been stopped. Even knowing what I know about the residual effects from the fight. If that fight was today and the same thing happened it would controversial still. King was a snake, and Steele was his favorite ref to screw up a fight. This wasn't the only one. He was a repeat offender.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
            No, the worst stoppage in boxing history is the one with 2 seconds left in the fight with the fighter standing on his feet.
            Objectively (via the rules) no. Time remaining on the clock isn't supposed to effect a stoppage.

At a seemingly random moment following a barrage of completely missed punches on the other hand... Questionable
            Last edited by ////; 10-29-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              meldrick taylor took a hellish beating and he was never sthe same after the fight. steel asked "are you ok?" and he looked somewhere off to the side. can you let that go? not according to the rules both written and unwritten in the sport. steel is not a timekeeper. it' shis job to determine when a fighter has taken enough punishment to warrant a stoppage, or if he still wants to continue. both of those things can be argued in his reasoning to stop the fight.

that's a stoppage that's focused on because of how good the fight was, the clock, etc. had nothing to do with taylor's condition, the guy was hellishly beat up by that point.
              I think it was a hellish fight for both fighters. In retrospect, it was a lot worst for Taylor but watching the fight live, I didn't see it. Heck, Timothy Bradley took a worst beating against Provodnikov. We've also seen fighters that actually suffered brain injuries take less of a beating. Also, asking a fighter if he's ok and not getting a response is not the same as asking if he's ok to continue, and not getting a response. I seriously doubt the fight would have been stopped if Chavez went down (under the same circumstances).

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
                Objectively (via the rules) no. Time remaining on the clock isn't supposed to effect a stoppage.

At a seemingly random moment following a barrage of completely missed punches on the other hand... Questionable
                Time remaining is not supposed to matter but I can't remember another fight being stopped with 2 seconds left when the fighter is actually up and alert.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                  We had a worse one this year alone. Guy got hit with a series of nutshots with the last one the hardest right on the cup and the ref awarded the cheater with a win.
                  Get this baby a bottle and burp him - he's overtired.

Comment

Working...
                  X