Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does any fighter post 1980 beat a 147-154lb prime SRL/Hearns????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody beats the overrated era fighters... ffs people still say same day weigh in guys are bigger just because of height.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      A prime Trinidad at 154 would have a chance to win in my opinion. Tito was a monster at 154. I am not saying he would win. I am saying he might win. He was a 154 pound boxer who hit like a good punching light heavyweight.His left hook had the power to take out either of them. Trinidad was a world welterweight champion at age 20 and he never lost a fight at 147 or 154.Leonard himself called Trinidad a great fighter and said Trinidad would be a dangerous opponent for himself. I think Hearns was better than Leonard at 154 and Hearns never lost at 154 either.
      Love Trinidad but he was one-dimensional in comparison to those guys. He has a punchers chance against Hearns at welterweight, though

Comment

I could see Spence breaking down Hearns and I could see Thurman and Leonard having a chess match. Boxers have gotten better compared to the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
          Mike McCallum
          Yes, good call on the Body Snatcher. Julian Jackson would have a puncher's chance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            A prime Trinidad at 154 would have a chance to win in my opinion. Tito was a monster at 154. I am not saying he would win. I am saying he might win. He was a 154 pound boxer who hit like a good punching light heavyweight.His left hook had the power to take out either of them. Trinidad was a world welterweight champion at age 20 and he never lost a fight at 147 or 154.Leonard himself called Trinidad a great fighter and said Trinidad would be a dangerous opponent for himself. I think Hearns was better than Leonard at 154 and Hearns never lost at 154 either.
            No chance will that ever happen. If BHop can outbox Tito what would Sugar Ray and Hearns do? Both could crack and Tommy would destory that shakey jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              No chance.

Leonard and Benitez couldn't outbox Hearns.

The only way to beat Hearns was to overpower him.
              Assuming Leonard and Benitez are better boxers then Mayweather.

Comment

Only person I see standing a chance is Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  I could see Spence breaking down Hearns and I could see Thurman and Leonard having a chess match. Boxers have gotten better compared to the 80's
                  I can't see anybody from today's era breaking down Hearns.

Boxers haven't become better.

Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Benitez and McCallum, were better than today's WW's and JMW's.
                  Last edited by robertzimmerman; 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                    Assuming Leonard and Benitez are better boxers then Mayweather.
                    I'd say so at WW and JMW. They were also bigger.

How would Floyd have gotten inside Tommy's range?

Tommy would have kept him at bay, and Floyd wouldn't have wanted to have committed himself due to Tommy's huge power.

Personally, I don't think Floyd would ever have taken the fight. But for the sake of argument, I think if he had have done, he'd have fought in a very defensive manner. I really can't envisage him possessing the confidence and the offense that Ray and Benitez took in the ring with them.

Floyd was a true great. But he was at his peak at the lower weights. At WW and JMW, he was a safety first fighter with hand issues, who liked to steal rounds by pot shotting fighters who had smaller reaches and who weren't as fast.

Tommy would have had zero respect for his power and he'd have walked forward with confidence. Both Ray and Tommy were horrible stylistic match ups for Floyd, but Tommy especially, would have been an absolute nightmare for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                      Only person I see standing a chance is Floyd Mayweather.
                      I can't envisage any scenario where he'd have beaten Tommy Hearns.

Comment

Working...
                      X