Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxer of the Month for September

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burns, Martinez, Darchinyan, Matthysse and Macklin.

Didn't pick Ward or Alvarez cause we know why.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      Martinez.........beat up on a solid, undefeated, younger belt holder who outweighed him by at least 15 pounds on fight night.
      what top 160 pounder wouldn't beat chavez though? I don't think it's that great of a win since chavez is a pretty average fighter. Great money fight for Martinez, great name recognition, but still average opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
        what top 160 pounder wouldn't beat chavez though? I don't think it's that great of a win since chavez is a pretty average fighter. Great money fight for Martinez, great name recognition, but still average opponent.
        Who knows? Until they get in the ring, it's nothing but an assumption. One thing I do know is that Chavez' size IS a major factor in him winning his fights.
        He walks through punches and grinds you into the ropes.....I can't see too many of the top guys beating him up if they don't provide substantial movement in the process.

I'd like to see him face Macklin in his next fight, that would be a great barometer to see just how he fares against the top in the division.

I mean I just don't see why people are so enamored in Ward...sure Dawson is pretty good....at 175 where he is accustomed to fighting. He got manhandled by Pascal and has shown mental weakness in fights. At least Martinez fought this giant at the weight where he has been accustomed to fighting and beat him. Dawson was starved lie a mofo at 168 and his punch resistance was non-existent.

Given all the factors: size, strength, youth, etc., Martinez' ability to own Chavez pretty much the entire fight was far more impressive than Ward beating a weakened man moving down in weight. I know Dawson opened the door for Ward by mentioning the weight but it still doesn't negate the adverse effects it had on Dawson on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          I mean I just don't see why people are so enamored in Ward...sure Dawson is pretty good....at 175 where he is accustomed to fighting. He got manhandled by Pascal and has shown mental weakness in fights. At least Martinez fought this giant at the weight where he has been accustomed to fighting and beat him. Dawson was starved lie a mofo at 168 and his punch resistance was non-existent.

Given all the factors: size, strength, youth, etc., Martinez' ability to own Chavez pretty much the entire fight was far more impressive than Ward beating a weakened man moving down in weight. I know Dawson opened the door for Ward by mentioning the weight but it still doesn't negate the adverse effects it had on Dawson on fight night.
          Good post.

Comment

If you look at the importance of the fight, SMW Champ vs LHW Champ fighting at SMW, I would say Ward. Two Champs in their respected weight class agreeing to fight each other.

However, if you look at the opposition at the weight class the fight was fought at, Martinez should get it. Both top MW's. One being a SMW/LHW on fight night.

I wouldn’t argue on either getting it. Either way it is one or the other IMO.

Comment

It is truly amazing how much love Sergio Martinez has gotten for beating one of the biggest and overrated hypejobs in boxing considering he was utterly destroyed and put on his ass in the 12th round. He was fighting someone that didn't even belong in the top 10 at MW, yet outboxing him for 11 rounds and getting nearly massacred in the 12th is a better performance than Andre Ward outboxing the LHW champion and a top 10 P4Per while dropping him 3 times and stopping him in the 10th.

Comment

That was a good post.

Chavez, for all the hate has possibly done more than the other so called top dogs in the division. I mean honestly, Golovkin is really the only guy who I could see beating Chavez Jr for sure. Pirog... I'm over the honey moon phase with him I barely remember how he even fights to be honest its been a while. Macklin would be a good scrap with Chavez Jr, it's a toss up. Geale as well. There's no shame in losing to Martinez.

The Dawson win was good because of how dominant it was but theres still that little weight issue some people have. Others feel Dawson was also overrated and not even the top guy in his weight class.

Matthysse had a great performance but there's the layoff excuse (for those who look for any excuse to downgrade a win) but it was of what many people consider the two best in the class (Some Garcia haters of course)...Helps Ajose had a good showing of courage and represented himself well.

The Maidana win isnt up here at all imo...

Canelo beat Josesito. Next

I'll just go with the 3-way tie Martinez, Ward, and Lucas. Just because *I* think Dawson was overrated doesnt mean he is/was in the mind of others and that the performance was any less stellar (because it was). In terms of risk, for me Martinez although supremely better than Chavez still had the element of risk and drama. Lucas was in a fight that most thought was a toss up. I don't think many really saw a way Dawson could win the fight though. Maybe cuz Ward is that good..or.... Lets leave that alone.

Comment

I think Ricky Burns deserves credit for impressively beating a good opponent.

And so does Lucas Matthysse for defeating a prime world-class opponent.

Comment

I've got Matthysse and Ward at 1 and 1a. Martinez at 2. The knockdown in the 12th being the reason.

And still love Maidanas performance against Soto Karass. That was a war.

Comment

You put multiple choice, so I picked every one.

But all jokes aside, I think it's between Ward and Martinez.

Comment

Working...
                      X