No announcement yet.

What is Canelo's Biggest Strength as a Fighter? I Say Head Movement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Boxing is crazy in that you can be a wizard on the mitts, you can rock the heavy bag so hard you're busting the chains frequently, but once you have a moving opponent in front of you, everything changes.

Mike Tyson owned a lot of those big guys because he controlled every inch and got himself in perfect position, allowing himself to execute murderous punches. Wilder has even greater power but he has horrid positioning and worse timing, so he just can't apply that power consistently. He has to reach for his punches and that's why he's always off balance. Canelo is always in position so he makes it look effortless.

Special exception to Roy and Pac who are freaks who could still land hard shots when they were out of position. I laugh when people ask how to do those types of wild hooks. That's not something you train for.

Great point about Wilder
    People just don’t understand that’s where those windmills come from and the fact he falls
    No fughin balance whatsoever
    Another great guy with awesome footwork is Jones Jr
    But the early version of Manny was really pretty to see
    In out left right , a real treat , shots coming from all over

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... jabs, right and left hand hooks (to the head and body), right and left hand uppercuts, straight rights... and the combos...
      ... and effectiveness...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Positioning. Moving to the right place at the right time.
        My thinking was first about his distancing, then about his ring generalship.

I think 'positioning' probably sums it up better.

Great counter-punchers like Canelo set their opponents where they want them to be, limiting their options and almost choosing their punches for them.

It's also why his head movement seems so impressive. The easiest punches to slip are the ones you know are coming. That all comes down to his positioning. It's absolutely pivotal.

If he wasn't elite at that then a lot of the other things he is great at would suffer hugely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
          If there is one ability that I think Canelo excels at to a high degree, it's his head movement. I love the way he slips punches from the outside and sometimes, he rolls with shots too which is a highly valuable skill since no one can avoid every punch but you can take the steam off the ones that land.

Canelo also works the body well and has proven that he can fight going forward or backward. His chin obviously is solid as well and some of that is in part to his defense but I think he takes a hell of a shot anyways. So the chances of him being KO'd aren't very high now, although if he moves up high enough, that can change.

Either way, I'm no expert at all and would love to hear you guys' answers. What's Canelo's biggest strength or strengths in the ring?
          All of that is true. Well said.

I would also add the judges.

Comment

The judges and mexican beef

Comment

Punch variation.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post

Great video, man. Canelo slips like crazy. Always fun to watch great defense!

Comment

Working...
                X