Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion

Old 04-21-2019, 03:52 AM #1

Quoted: 4016 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,226.90
Total Points: 52,852.27
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 
Default Khabib on Dustin Poirier fight: ‘I have to maul him, like I do with everybody’

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Dustin Poirier does indeed appear to be the next step for the UFC’s lightweight division.

Speaking Saturday on the UFC St. Petersburg post-fight show, Nurmagomedov, the reigning UFC lightweight champion, admitted that he was surprised by Poirier’s interim title win over Max Holloway at UFC 236 and said that preliminary discussions have already begun for a unification match between he and Poirier for September, likely at UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi.

“I think it was a very good performance from Dustin Poirier,” Nurmagomedov said on ESPN+. “Honestly, before the fight, I thought Holloway was going to beat him. This is my prediction when we talk with fans, with father, with team. But he impress me. Dustin impressed me.

“I think he has very good boxing, much better than before. Every fight, he becomes stronger and better in boxing, on his feet. And I think he deserves [the] title show. I think because he’s already interim UFC lightweight champion, I am real lightweight champion, we have to fight. And now we’re working on this.”

Nurmagomedov (27-0) is currently serving a nine-month suspension stemming from his post-fight brawl with members of Conor McGregor’s team following his one-sided rout of McGregor at UFC 229 in October 2018.

An undefeated sambo savant, Nurmagomedov has run roughshod over the UFC’s lightweight division since entering the promotion in 2012, racking up a flawless 11-0 record that includes victories over McGregor, Al Iaquinta, Edson Barboza, and Rafael dos Anjos, among others. His fight against McGregor at UFC 229 shattered records as the highest-selling pay-per-view in mixed martial arts history.

Poirier (25-5, 1 NC), meanwhile, has emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the UFC’s lightweight division following a long and roller-coaster road to gold.

At UFC 236, the 30-year-old American captured the interim lightweight title in his 22th Octagon appearance with his hard-fought victory over Holloway. Poirier will now ride a four-fight win streak into his title unification bout against Nurmagomedov, a run highlighted by impressive victories over Anthony Pettis, Justin Gaethje, Eddie Alvarez, and Holloway.

“Long time, I follow him. He have very good background,” Nurmagomedov said of Poirier. “He have good ground game, not bad. He have good striking game. I follow him a long time. And, versus me? I think I have to maul him, like I do with everybody. This is what I have to do. I respect him like fighter, like human, but when we go to the cage, I have to maul this guy. This is what I want. And right now I’m focused on September, five months before fight, and I think it’s going to be very good fight with him.”
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 AM #2
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 19372 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,186,792.62
Total Points: 1,193,392.14
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 

LOL & I foresee him doing that.

Respect to Poirier on his career turnaround doe cuz I thought he was on a negative trajectory from here out a couple years back with his last L, but he's got a nice lil impressive win streak as of late & deserves a title fight. I just don't don't see him doing well in that title fight vs Khabib.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 PM #3

Quoted: 4016 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,226.90
Total Points: 52,852.27
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Khabib with a nice and slow mauling.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
dustin, everybody’, fight:, him, khabib, maul, poirier

User Tag List