Kathy Duva's marinating didn't work out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Duva's marinating didn't work out

Kovalev-Bivol should have happened.

But promoters have this irksome tendency to make the fans wait for even half decent fights. They have to be artificially "built up" by doing showcase fights first against lesser opponents.

So I'm glad when that strategy blows up in their face like what happened last night.

Tbh I can see why they wanted to build this fight. Although after he beat Barrera I felt that Bivol was ready for kovalev

Comment

To be fair, nobody was expecting it yet. I think the general consensus was that their next fights after last night should be against each other.

That's just the way it goes sometimes though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Kovalev-Bivol should have happened.

But promoters have this irksome tendency to make the fans wait for even half decent fights. They have to be artificially "built up" by doing showcase fights first against lesser opponents.

So I'm glad when that strategy blows up in their face like what happened last night.
        whats your opinion on spence crawford not happening right away?

Comment

I seriously doubt they would have made this fight. They both shared the same fans. Nothing enticing for the fans to root for or against the other.

Comment

Originally posted by The Madison View Post
            whats your opinion on spence crawford not happening right away?
            I'm furious about it.

Arum (the chief marinator himself) says he won't make it until the fight can sell more than 500k PPVs.

That's why I was glad when Juanma vs Gamboa blew up in his face too.

Comment

Promoters just want to make as much money off them as they can before risking it.

Always been the way to an extent but yes it has got worse.

So many fights missing the boat. I get building the fights but there's a limit.

Comment

Definitely a case of marination gone wrong

Another death blow to HBO , 175 was one of the only Divisions they had any clout in and Kov/Bivol was basically their only fight after Canelo /GGG that was somewhat decent

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Promoters just want to make as much money off them as they can before risking it.

Always been the way to an extent but yes it has got worse.

So many fights missing the boat. I get building the fights but there's a limit.
                  this wouldn't be a problem if everyone wasn't on that floyd mayweather, "protecting my 0" bs. We're in an era of boxing in which a loss signals the end of a career. Gone are the days of Curry/Honeyghan, Tua/Ibeabuchi, Byrd/Ibeabuchi, Jackson/Mccallum, to name a few, in which undefeated fighters fought each other early in their careers. We've got to have fighters have 6 or 7 years of tuneups and cherry picking before they jump in with someone that has a possibility of beating them. I don't like it and no other boxing fan should like it. I'm not saying they should take the Lomachenko route of title fights immediately after turning pro or even the Fernando Vargas route, I think everyone knows what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
                    this wouldn't be a problem if everyone wasn't on that floyd mayweather, "protecting my 0" bs. We're in an era of boxing in which a loss signals the end of a career. Gone are the days of Curry/Honeyghan, Tua/Ibeabuchi, Byrd/Ibeabuchi, Jackson/Mccallum, to name a few, in which undefeated fighters fought each other early in their careers. We've got to have fighters have 6 or 7 years of tuneups and cherry picking before they jump in with someone that has a possibility of beating them. I don't like it and no other boxing fan should like it. I'm not saying they should take the Lomachenko route of title fights immediately after turning pro or even the Fernando Vargas route, I think everyone knows what I mean.
                    Floyd never "protected his 0," though.

Part of what makes him special is that he fought pretty much everyone and still managed to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                    X