Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitch Chuvalo interview (Adonis Stevenson)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitch Chuvalo interview (Adonis Stevenson)

Just a few years ago, I read an interview with George Chuvalo in which he praised every day he woke up healthy (we ourselves should think about that more often). Because he knew, his boxing career would catch up with him.

George also told this story about his father, a poor Bosnian who came as an immigrant to Canada.
    In his new country, the father had to work really hard and long hours for peanuts.
    When people told him he was exploited, he got very upset: “Canada gave me a job!”
    A tough and unspoiled generation, for sure.

Amazing that he's still lucid.
    Did he ever go down?
    I know Frazier and Foreman busted him up good, but recall ref stoppages.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
      Amazing that he's still lucid.
      Did he ever go down?
      I know Frazier and Foreman busted him up good, but recall ref stoppages.
      Hmmm. I don't recall him going down either to be honest.

Comment

George Chuvalo holds the unofficial title of being the longest fighting boxer to never get knocked down.

Comment

I was just listening to a podcast with George on it yesterday. Sh^t was f#cked up. Apparently he's lost 3 kids to drugs. And his wife killed herself after their 2nd child died due to drugs cuz she couldn't handle it. Awful f#cking story. Respect & love to George & his remaining family for the stuff they've been through. Can't be easy. And thats not even talking about the in the ring sh^t.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I was just listening to a podcast with George on it yesterday. Sh^t was f#cked up. Apparently he's lost 3 kids to drugs. And his wife killed herself after their 2nd child died due to drugs cuz she couldn't handle it. Awful f#cking story. Respect & love to George & his remaining family for the stuff they've been through. Can't be easy. And thats not even talking about the in the ring sh^t.
            I once tried to find a documentary I saw on him to post here (unfortunately I wasn't able to find it). He came home to find his wife dead by suicide in his son's bed after his son had overdosed...I think it was a suicide over-dose. The man's life has been one drama after another.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              I once tried to find a documentary I saw on him to post here (unfortunately I wasn't able to find it). He came home to find his wife dead by suicide in his son's bed after his son had overdosed...I think it was a suicide over-dose. The man's life has been one drama after another.
              That was a good doc. Rented it from library.

Chuvalo going strong at 81. Jake LaMotta passed last year at 95.

Can it be that for some, repeated blows to the head extends lifespan? Not serious, they probably would live even longer w.o that history.

Comment

Should a medical doctor ever be present at ringside?

By being there, he/she gives a sport he/she knows is destructive to the human brain legitimacy, violating the Doctor’s Code of Ethics.
                Its very first sentence says “A doctor shall protect human health”.

So, isn’t he/she obliged to call a halt to a fight as soon as the first head punch has landed?

Comment

Working...
                X