Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If GBP/K2 asked the WBC for a 30 day extension....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
    Who here thinks they wouldn't have granted it? Knowing they are negotiating in good faith and working on the details of a huge fight... The WBC would have bent over backwards for them and pushed back the deadline and purse bid for a month... That excuse from GBP is a pathetic ploy to make it about anything but they're unwillingness to fight GGG this September and at every advantage they can possibly gain..

If you disagree, give me a good reason why...
    I agree fully.

Honestly, people believing that Alvarez dropped the belt because he doesn't deserve to be pressed by them really need to reconsider what sport they want to follow. Seriously.. The WBC want this fight to happen and after plenty of time and plenty of people dancing around it they eventually press for it. Both teams apparently agree to make it happen so therefore if either side went to the WBC, said it was going well at the moment but more time may be needed, you are damn right the WBC would have given it to them. The whole 'Canelo didn't agree with being deadlined' is total BS....They just don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
      He was mandatory AND DIDNT HAVE TO!!!!..Canelo dropping the WBC belt changes all of that, IF GGG WANTS A BIG FIGHT!!! he will have to bend
      LOL how much do you reasonable expect someone 34 & hasn't weighed 155 since he was 20yrs to bend to. Plus I don't think we know enough facts to suggest GGG isn't bending first off. I mean this situation seemed pretty cut & dry. And Oscar & Canelo seem to not have the confidence to make this fight happen so much that they are making one of the most embarrassing title vacating situation since Riddick Bowe 20 something years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Has this been confirmed by Oscar & or Tommy L?

I mean it is 2016 so you can say in bed, naked & getting your hog pleasured while skyping someone in Iceland if necessary (& why wouldn't you vs sitting in some ****ty conference room in a suit) so idk how damning that really is, but it kinda goes with thought Oscar & Canelo were going to half ass this situation.

Personally I can't buy that K2 is talking about the discussions like they are (ie were going good, weight wasn't an issue, etc & so on), but Oscar & Canelo think a deal isn't gonna be possible with almost a full week left of their 15 day period to make a deal. I mean you at least give a good faith attempt at making the deal in the 15 day timeline & then when things get to some nutty ass purse bid where Canelo (with his 4M+ PPV buys to GGG's 150k or whatever) is the clear cash cow & giving up 45% of the pie makes zero sense.

Most reasonable people who care to know the facts can support Canelo dropping the belt in that case I feel anyway. So I don't understand this move at all. I mean even if they are pissing themselves at fighting GGG I think you hold the belt til the purse bid & then claim the 45% to GGG thing is stupid (& it is) so you don't lose as much respect as Canelo has in the last 24 hours.
        The WBC purse bids are no longer set at 45% to the challenger. 10% is held back for the winner as an incentive for the fighters to go at it and the remaining 90% is split 70/30 in favour of the champion. So in essence if he signed and lost Golovkin would have gotten 27% of the purse.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
          The WBC purse bids are no longer set at 45% to the challenger. 10% is held back for the winner as an incentive for the fighters to go at it and the remaining 90% is split 70/30 in favour of the champion. So in essence if he signed and lost Golovkin would have gotten 27% of the purse.
          I didn't think GGG was a challenger. He has some bs WBC interim belt or something iirc that garners him a higher %.

Point taken on the 10% win bonus thing doe. I still think GGG is getting more $ than he deserves via how the WBC cuts things vs how much bigger Canelo is. This is a asses in seats/PPV buys/ratings business & Canelo is much bigger than GGG in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I didn't think GGG was a challenger. He has some bs WBC interim belt or something iirc that garners him a higher %.

Point taken on the 10% win bonus thing doe. I still think GGG is getting more $ than he deserves via how the WBC cuts things vs how much bigger Canelo is. This is a asses in seats/PPV buys/ratings business & Canelo is much bigger than GGG in that regard.
            Ahh, the interim belt had completely slipped off my radar. I wasn't taking that into account. I wonder if the WBC International middleweight champion and the WBC Silver middleweight champion get the same allowances as the WBC Interim middleweight champion when fighting the WBC middleweight champion?

You know, I've never begrudged fighters and their teams throwing in some easy money fights here and there. It's a tough sport and their careers are short lived. But the money men seem to have lost sight of the fact that this is a sport after all. We as fans tune in to be entertained. The bottom dollar is getting in the way of that.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
              the money men seem to have lost sight of the fact that this is a sport after all. We as fans tune in to be entertained. The bottom dollar is getting in the way of that.
              Don't disagree. I'd much prefer boxing as a sport than a business, but that doesn't seem to be the case nor has it been in awhile. The status quo in boxing needs to be overthrown.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                He was mandatory AND DIDNT HAVE TO!!!!..Canelo dropping the WBC belt changes all of that, IF GGG WANTS A BIG FIGHT!!! he will have to bend
                I don't see it happening. This is about Canelo knowing he can't beat Golovkin. Oscar doesn't want his cash cow to lose. Even if Caducko grows a pair, I'd be surprised if GGG would put his MW belts on the line @ a catch weight. He could have just agreed to that in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                X