Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Appreciation Thread: The best boxer of all time in my opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RJJ isn't the GOAT. I don't know if I'd even have him top 10.

Comment

I remember it like yesterday, watching Jones as a child, face as close to the screen as possible, knowing Superman would concur yet another villain. Jones was unlike any boxer from the past to now and I feel truly blessed to have watched this man provide some of the greatest performances in boxing history. I will never forget the joy I had watching Jones destroy on opponent after another doing so with he hands behind his back, with 7 punch right hook combinations, evasive/unseen speed and some of the greatest footwork.

The love I have for watching his skills in the ring is unblemished by the decline of his career but will be a truly happy individual to know I will never have to see him in such defeat but will miss his persona. How many people with come to the ring in a freaking Suite? I mean come-on. The man is a living Legend.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        Roy Jones inspired me to box

He was more than a boxer to me, he was a super hero

His ko of Virgil Hill made me a boxing fan for live and now I am a trainer

He did things in the ring no fighter has done before and probably will never do

I couldnt care less about resume...you cant choose your era....talent wise he is above them all...could do it all and had it all...before 2003 he hardly ever lost rounds, was only dropped once, and dazzled the crowd and befuddled opponents

I can go on and on about the guy

I hope his retirement is true...it really hurts to see him get beat by fighters he would have toyed with in his prime

I am honored to have witnessed the greatest of all time in his prime.....Roy Levesta Jones Jr. ...the GOAT

Dude, you and I can talk all day about the greatness that is Roy Jones Jr. The man is a living LEGEND

Comment

thank god for you tube...I remember having to download full fights, buy them from people who converted them to dvd etc....you cant call yourself a true boxing fan and not do your research

Some fighters are good....some are talented...some are great....Roy was God Gifted.

Too bad you dont play boxing....its not like watching a 38 year old kobe or MJ miss a lay up or dunk, or getting crossed up by a young upstart....boxers put their life on the line and one millisecond slower than you best could mean a kayo or worse

I hope he is truly retired
          yeen never lied about the youtube thang IMAGINE if we didnt have youtube and we had to EXPLAIN to the younger gen HOW he fought
          sometimes there isnt words that can VIVIDLY describe what you see and when i watch PRIME ROY JONES thats the exact feeling i get

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
            I remember it like yesterday, watching Jones as a child, face as close to the screen as possible, knowing Superman would concur yet another villain. Jones was unlike any boxer from the past to now and I feel truly blessed to have watched this man provide some of the greatest performances in boxing history. I will never forget the joy I had watching Jones destroy on opponent after another doing so with he hands behind his back, with 7 punch right hook combinations, evasive/unseen speed and some of the greatest footwork.

The love I have for watching his skills in the ring is unblemished by the decline of his career but will be a truly happy individual to know I will never have to see him in such defeat but will miss his persona. How many people with come to the ring in a freaking Suite? I mean come-on. The man is a living Legend.
            he really brough thip hop to boxing

do you think we'll ever see a boxer play a semi pro game in any sport and defend their world title in the same day?

hell to the naw...Roy was special

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSoul View Post
              yeen never lied about the youtube thang IMAGINE if we didnt have youtube and we had to EXPLAIN to the younger gen HOW he fought
              sometimes there isnt words that can VIVIDLY describe what you see and when i watch PRIME ROY JONES thats the exact feeling i get
              words cant describe this guy...you have to see for yourself....i get the same feeling i did watching a prime MJ as a kid when I watched Jones...there were other good fighters and great ones but he was as above them as MJ was over his generation and those before him....fighters of that talent come once in a lifetime or generation

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
                Dude, you and I can talk all day about the greatness that is Roy Jones Jr. The man is a living LEGEND
                whats your favorite performance of his?

Comment

A sad end to a great fighter.

Wish him all the best.

Comment

whats your favorite performance of his?
                    Personally I can't name one. Depends on what I wanted to see, a powerful Jones I loved to see his destruction of Griffin and Hill... Both back to back KO wins which both showed the power of Jones.

Or watching his speed and footwork against Pazienza. Or the Glen Kelly KO which was a result of speed.

The Toney in my eyes although at times far from great, was a great techniqual fight. The win although against the lesser of the division, Ruiz was fun to watch because of the obvious size difference.

Depending on what you wanted to see, Jones had one for you to watch. I loved watching him. Not many fighters had me on my feet threw out the whole fight.

How about you brother? The problem with picking one or two or three was he competed at such a high level for so long and performed at such a higher caliber as his opposition

Comment

he really brough thip hop to boxing

do you think we'll ever see a boxer play a semi pro game in any sport and defend their world title in the same day?

hell to the naw...Roy was special
                      Do you see anyone making it from 154 to win a championship at Middleweight, Super-Middleweight, Light-Heavyweight, Heavyweight and then drop back down 25lbs to win the Light-Heavyweight titles again? And do so without losing a legit fight? I don't think so....

Can GGG? Hell no.

Comment

Working...
                      X