Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you rank Larry Holmes above Rocky Marciano?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Well Holmes fought for 15 rounds for a lot of his career, so it would be best as a 15 rounder. I'd rank Holmes higher too and give him a good shot to win a pretty wide UD.
    Holmes did indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      All you need to give Holmes trouble is a big punch. Look at the Weaver, Shavers, and Norton fights if you don't believe me. Carry his jock strap? Lol no, Marciano would maul Larry Holmes.
      1st off, holmes beat those guys.
      2ndly, the sport wouldnt allow holmes to fight rocky at hw. not unless rocky blew up the scales.

weaver - 6'1'', 78''
      shavers - 6', 79''
      norton - 6'3'', 80''
      rocky - 5'10'', 68''
      holmes - 6'3'', 81''
      i wont even fnck with the weights

rocky was easy to hit by guys his own size. guys with 10''+ reach advantages would toy with rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by SemiGreat View Post
        1st off, holmes beat those guys.
        2ndly, the sport wouldnt allow holmes to fight rocky at hw. not unless rocky blew up the scales.

weaver - 6'1'', 78''
        shavers - 6', 79''
        norton - 6'3'', 80''
        rocky - 5'10'', 68''
        holmes - 6'3'', 81''
        i wont even fnck with the weights

rocky was easy to hit by guys his own size. guys with 10''+ reach advantages would toy with rocky.
        I'd rather be the short stocky fighter in great condition that the big tall guy who has to fight off of the back foot even if he is an atg. Boxing fans seem to underestimate how hard it really is to fight on the back foot constently.

Isn't saying he beat those guys kind of self defeating? Marciano being undefeated and all lol.

Comment

If you look at videos of Holmes and Marciano, you can see that Rocky was one of the roughest, toughest men to ever lace on a pair of boxing gloves, with KO power and boundless stamina. Holmes was taller, longer, more mobile, had equal stamina and, most importantly, one of the best left jabs in the history of the HW division, if not THE best.

Head to head, Holmes would keep Marciano at bay, on the end of his left jab, and UD him 10x out of 10, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
            I'd rather be the short stocky fighter in great condition that the big tall guy who has to fight off of the back foot even if he is an atg. Boxing fans seem to underestimate how hard it really is to fight on the back foot constently.

Isn't saying he beat those guys kind of self defeating? Marciano being undefeated and all lol.
            id rather be the guy who looked like a winner after every fight. conditioning wise, as if larry didnt fight 15 rd fights
            rocky got out when he did because he knew his time was up.

larry holmes sparring partners would have beaten the guys rocky beat when he fought them. larry would have gone 100-0 in rockys era without much trouble. rockys 0 is probably the weakest of them all.

Comment

other than rockys complexion, i dont know why fight ''fans'' rank rocky so highly (he and i share the same nationality).

his resume leaves much to be desired if an HONEST fight fan would look closer.

Comment

id rather be the guy who looked like a winner after every fight. conditioning wise, as if larry didnt fight 15 rd fights
                rocky got out when he did because he knew his time was up.

larry holmes sparring partners would have beaten the guys rocky beat when he fought them. larry would have gone 100-0 in rockys era without much trouble. rockys 0 is probably the weakest of them all.
                Nah, I'd say Sven Ottke has a weaker 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Nah, I'd say Sven Ottke has a weaker 0.
                  he did his 0 with less weapons doe

Comment

other than rockys complexion, i dont know why fight ''fans'' rank rocky so highly (he and i share the same nationality).

his resume leaves much to be desired if an HONEST fight fan would look closer.
                    I always love how someone who says something stupid has to characterize others who might disagree. Seldom when somebody makes a legitimate point do they have to indicate that "and those who disagree are dishonest, stupid", etc. The human psyche at its best: always ready to defend itself when it knows it might be pushing the limits.

Marciano fought some great fighters in their twilight. Thats a hell of a lot better than a lot of fighters who won championships. Ezzard Charles, Louis, etc... he did not fight at the best time for the division, but certainly went against men who had impeccable skills.

Anybody who thinks Marciano would not at least be a problem for the likes of Holmes, has probably not thought things through objectively. The fact of the matter is marciano trained to overcome fighters with exceptional skills, including exceptional jabbing ability. Archie Moore, Joe Walcott? Charles? these men all could jab pretty good!

Holmes was a tremendous fighter and it would have been a great match up. But there is no logical reason to assume that Marciano would be overmatched because of size or jab.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      I always love how someone who says something stupid has to characterize others who might disagree. Seldom when somebody makes a legitimate point do they have to indicate that "and those who disagree are dishonest, stupid", etc. The human psyche at its best: always ready to defend itself when it knows it might be pushing the limits.

Marciano fought some great fighters in their twilight. Thats a hell of a lot better than a lot of fighters who won championships. Ezzard Charles, Louis, etc... he did not fight at the best time for the division, but certainly went against men who had impeccable skills.

Anybody who thinks Marciano would not at least be a problem for the likes of Holmes, has probably not thought things through objectively. The fact of the matter is marciano trained to overcome fighters with exceptional skills, including exceptional jabbing ability. Archie Moore, Joe Walcott? Charles? these men all could jab pretty good!

Holmes was a tremendous fighter and it would have been a great match up. But there is no logical reason to assume that Marciano would be overmatched because of size or jab.
                      1) stupid because it can be true. face it, people mock mays resume. some even suggest that rockys resume is better. switch their complexions and youd get the may with the superior resume. its a fact that no one wants to take ownership of.

2) key word...''twilight''. each and everyone of his best wins. other key word....''had''.

3) rocky was not difficult to hit vs guys his own size. smart guys like homles would 100000000 % toy with rocky. his 10'' reach advantage + speed + boxing ability + power.......i cant see rocky getting close enough without larry tying him up for his troubles has rocky ever fought a guy with larrys reach ?!?!?

4) unless rocky ever fought, much less beat, a skilled guy with a long reach, it makes pure sense to say rocky wouldnt know what to do with a guy with long arms. should i add in ''prime'' ????

Comment

Working...
                      X