Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Poll: Would you order Saul Alvarez vs. Victor Ortiz on Sep. 15th for $49.95?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Poll: Would you order Saul Alvarez vs. Victor Ortiz on Sep. 15th for $49.95?

Canelo Alvarez vs Victor Ortiz: Fight Could Happen With Ortiz Win on 6/23

206480_10150226708710923_747385922_9037192_4017321 _n_tiny by Scott Christ on Jun 11, 2012 7:52 AM EDT in Boxing News Analysis

25 comments
    Story-email Email
    Printer Print

Canelo Alvarez and Victor Ortiz could meet on September 15, if all goes well. (Photos by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Canelo Alvarez and Victor Ortiz could meet on September 15, if all goes well. (Photos by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Dan Rafael mentioned on last weekend's edition of Friday Night Fights that if Victor Ortiz is successful in his June 23 fight against Josesito Lopez on Showtime, and doesn't take any major punishment, he's a serious candidate to face Canelo Alvarez on September 15, live on pay-per-view from Las Vegas.

Now, a report at BoxingScene.com from NotiFight writers says that Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KO) is close to finalizing his opponent for that date, and though the opponent isn't named, Ortiz could be the frontrunner.

"So far the stage and date are firm, and we are very close to securing the opponent," said Chepo [Reynoso, Alvarez's trainer]. "At this point we don't want to confirm anything so we don't affect the [ongoing] negotiations."

Ortiz (29-3-2, 23 KO) is expected to have little trouble with Lopez (29-4, 17 KO), a late replacement opponent for Andre Berto, who was forced out of the fight when he failed a VADA drug test.

Star-divide

Due to Berto previously pulling out of a February date with Ortiz due to injury, "Vicious" Victor hasn't been in the ring since his four-round loss to Floyd Mayweather last September, so the date with Lopez will be as much about getting him back in the ring as anything. They simply couldn't have him sitting out any longer. He has to fight, and Lopez was as good an opponent as they could find with such short notice.

Canelo, of course, is coming off of a beatdown of Shane Mosley on May 5, which sent Mosley into retirement. But unlike Mosley or Kermit Cintron, Ortiz is not washed-up and lacking in danger. A southpaw banger with good skills and big power in both hands, Ortiz would be a huge threat to Canelo's rise.

In short, it's a great matchup, I believe, in basically every way, and could be a Fight of the Year candidate if it comes together. This is one I'm really, really hoping will happen, though it would almost shock me if it actually does. Risks like this one aren't taken too often in boxing, but reality is that GBP is short on potential, PPV-quality opponents for Alvarez on 9/15. With James Kirkland turning it down (twice) and Paul Williams' tragic accident, Ortiz is one of the few available fighters who could make this show a serious attraction. Cross your fingers.
    Yes
    66.09%
    No
    33.91%

Hell No! Better be on free HBO.

Comment

hell yeah! theyre two of my favorites.

with a good undercard it will be all worth it.

Comment

No i will not...nothing against this fight but it's not ppv worthy

Comment

Phuck yes... But, I might just go for this one.

Comment

Comment

defiantly and im sure the undercard will be good too.

Comment

Nah..... Count me out

Comment

maybe, the undercard better be stacked!

Comment

Doubt it. That Pac PPV has just left a sour taste in my mouth, I don't think I'll be paying for any PPVs for a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X