No announcement yet.

Beginner in sparring REAL TROUBLE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner in sparring REAL TROUBLE

So i've been sparring for maybe 2-3 months and I don't feel I've got much better. I'm sparring 1-2 hours most weeks and its really no gone well. My main problem is that I can never throw my right hand the way I want to. Which means sparring is typically just me jabbing about, no combinations, barely a one two. I then ask the trainer for help he watches me on the heavy bag and says i look great, do that when sparring, but its just no the same.
    Get my ass kicked basically every single week. Its sooooooo frustrating.

I'm no really looking for tips, just maybe similar experiences or something.

TBH anything is appreciated

How long are you boxing??
    It will come in time,your over thinking what your doing,
    Now you will always be like "ah fck I could of hit him their" and all that, but as for letting your hands go, the more confident you become the more you will be throwing...
    Bag work is fairly useless (in my opinion anyway). Get your trainer to do more pad work with you.

Don't worry, you just need to be self aware that you are not throwing that much, will all come in time, take the chance and leave them go.

Comment

Awesome picture with rig

Always had a punching bag so i've always been able to punch good, or so i thought, but been going to classes for boxing for 6 months and sparring for 2-3.
      Its just plain annoying man never feel like i can pull the trigger, and when i do just off balance and feels like a weak punch.

I get thrown in with folk who for the most part are a lot better and stronger. Some take it too easy and i'm still hesitant about putting punches together, Some go too hard and just plain fck me up.
      sitting here typing with a big red lump on my nose

Comment

yeah

Record yourself and watching the tape will help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by deveed411 View Post
          Awesome picture with rig

Always had a punching bag so i've always been able to punch good, or so i thought, but been going to classes for boxing for 6 months and sparring for 2-3.
          Its just plain annoying man never feel like i can pull the trigger, and when i do just off balance and feels like a weak punch.

I get thrown in with folk who for the most part are a lot better and stronger. Some take it too easy and i'm still hesitant about putting punches together, Some go too hard and just plain fck me up.
          sitting here typing with a big red lump on my nose
          It takes time. Chalk it up to learning and keep your chin up (not literally). I have taken some beatings and am grateful for them because they motivating and taught me a lot.

Something I fall into, as a counter-minded guy, is to fall into someone else's rhythm while looking for punches. If you cant plant your feet and throw a right, try telling yourself that you will dictate the fight. You will throw first and make him respond to you.

Comment

Welcome to the jungle pal.

Just keep showing up, everything comes with time.

I had my ass handed to me plenty of times while learning what I learned. I was always there the next day to do it all again though, always.

It takes time just to calm nerves while in the ring.

It just takes time, perseverance and boulders for ballz........
            Last edited by Rockin'; 03-20-2016, 05:33 AM.

Comment

When would you guys say that things started to click.

Or that you could throw decent combinations and then move position.
              Working on angles, you started to see punches coming more and your defense was getting better, and you stopped backing up in a straight line ??

Only some of a number of problems i have.

Sparring is just chaotic whereby i don't see openings, and don't really have a clue what my opponent is going to do. Unless he's new and shorter than me. Otherwise i can keep him on the outside with my jab kinda well.

Comment

Mate, a few months ago started just a topic like this here. After sparring with better guys than I sparred before I felt like all my training and efforts were useless. I felt really depressed but the guys here told me it was natural and would fade off, they told me most of the people quit boxing after they start sparring, hardest part.
                But I tell you taking losses forces you to improve yourself. Im sure I can beat my 3 months ago self fairly good.
                I figured out my problems were and possibly still are:
                a) I couldn't land because I was staying out of distance, because I didn't feel comfortable in the punching distance.
                b) Even though I managed to land some jabs I never landed a right hand because it felt unsecure and I never wanted to throw it. Now I improved my right hand that I step in,my shoulder cover my chin better, I throw it out from my centerline, much quicker pull it back, duck and step out after it.
                c) I was scared of attacking and it encouraged my partners , it forced me to stay defensing, and bcz my defense was so bad I took shots. I use philly shield and understood that it was overhand rights that always catch philly guys. So made adjustments and Im taking much much less shots now.
                d) Last week I realized that I don't breathe out in harmony with my punches so beat myself, and even though I don't get hit in the middle of the ring I end up in ropes when they charge in, i need to practice lateral escaping movements which I never practiced seriously before.

Comment

Thats pretty much what I needed to hear man, it sounds very similar.

The poor distance control is definitely something i suffer with. Not staying in range for long enough to get shots off, or getting tagged instantly so my first instinct of defense is to spring out of range and start all over again.

I always go in telling myself ive got to do XYZ but the hour is up and i'm like "fck i didnt do nearly any of what i wanted to try and now the list of things to do is longer"

I feel once i can get that right hand going my combinations will start to come and ill progress much quicker, I think ive just picked up some terrible habits from hittin the heavy back.

When i'm hitting it I get off real good flowing and powerful combinations but, the way i do it is a have a really slow rocking rhythm. In doing this my hip and shoulder are in really in the punch my arm relly shots out with speed and power.
                  If i try rocking rhythm in sparring its basically telling my opponent " here i come ready or not"

To which his normal response is to punch me hard. and i say well that aint working i wont be doing that again. and so the cycle continues

Comment

Originally posted by deveed411 View Post
                    When would you guys say that things started to click.

Or that you could throw decent combinations and then move position.
                    Working on angles, you started to see punches coming more and your defense was getting better, and you stopped backing up in a straight line ??

Only some of a number of problems i have.

Sparring is just chaotic whereby i don't see openings, and don't really have a clue what my opponent is going to do. Unless he's new and shorter than me. Otherwise i can keep him on the outside with my jab kinda well.
                    There are many facets and there is no point at which everything clicks at once. You gain different skills at different times.

If you are getting eaten alive, it sounds like the coaching at your gym is garbage. It's their responsibility to guide the fighters. If you are struggling, someone should be arranging light sparring for you. Stuff that goes at half-pace, with guidance, so that you (and they) and find where you're at and what you need. In fact, they should have done this with you in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X